• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,930 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2023 at 5:30 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Here's some friday fun on saturday. A couple of nice digests that came in, both pretty hard to find at all.

Hunted Vol 1 No 1. December 1954  This was edited by L.B.Cole and is a Star Publication

20230204_171929.thumb.jpg.e6b093a0efc938bcbcf028b809d2c0bd.jpg

The famously bonkers Web Terror Stories, March 1963

20230204_171947.thumb.jpg.1ab8b59481214e712eb538c00a22e7ba.jpg

Great pickups.  Did Cole do anything inside on that book or just the editing? I have always been curious about that. I know he published another line that, I think called "Persuit" but I don't own either. Oh, so did the cover on Web?

On 2/4/2023 at 6:11 PM, pmpknface said:

Great pickups.  Did Cole do anything inside on that book or just the editing? I have always been curious about that. I know he published another line that, I think called "Persuit" but I don't own either. Oh, so did the cover on Web?

Thanks. Nothing signed by Cole inside and the cover is uncredited. There are a couple of text illos that look like he possibly could have done them but no sigs or credits anywhere.

On 2/4/2023 at 6:11 PM, pmpknface said:

I checked into the Web Terror Stories cover and I see it credited to Charles Frace. Most of what you find of him online is incredibly realistic wildlife paintings for which he became famous later but it appears he was a commercial illustrator from the 50's through the 70's and did paint covers. I saw one really nice good girl painting he did, "Playgirl" for Beacon Books, on Heritage.

On 2/11/2023 at 6:49 PM, OtherEric said:

This was more than $2, and to be honest I've already got another edition.  But there was no way I could resist the Bowie cover in such great shape:

Man who fell to Earth.jpg

I'd let this fall into my checkout pile for sure even though I have the Gold Medal 1st pb. For the same reasons as you, it's Bowie, Movie Tie-in AND Tevis and getting on in years so nice copies will dry up over time.

On 2/13/2023 at 10:00 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Nice and Naughty by Gordon Semple. Love Romance Series No. 1. Picked up this rare (understatement) L.B. Cole cover digest this week. Super stoked as I haven't seen a copy for sale for years and this one is quite nice :headbang:

It's remarkable to me that the author's name isn't even on the cover, so sales worthy was the cover art lol!

493893978_NiceandNaughty.thumb.jpg.093d7b98fcc1c34f1a1d93cc33ca7d87.jpg

Where did you find this? I've been looking for it for while! Congrats!