• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,937 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2023 at 8:45 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I picked up a few books on Saturday. They were mostly pulps except for one. I was drawn to the cover as it was clearly a UK book. As an added bonus it turned out to be a Cherry Tree book and the first in the series, "John Carstairs Space Detective" by Frank Belknap Long (#400). What is odd is that no site seems to know the publication dates for these books, but it has the look of the early to mid 50's.

Scan1143.JPG

Such a gorgeous cover👍 That Venus Flytrap-ish plant thing got the girl 😂

On 3/22/2023 at 8:51 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Such a gorgeous cover👍 That Venus Flytrap-ish plant thing got the girl 😂

Thanks. It was a surprise find as I was looking for pulps. I researched a bit more today, and found the isfdb site dates the publication of this book as 1949.

On 3/20/2023 at 6:37 PM, Surfing Alien said:

A few more random niceties while I'm sorting books out. I'm also putting some things together to maybe try out a small sales thread on the boards since RD seems to have drummed up some decent interest on his. 

This Dell edition of Vertigo is pretty scarce. One of Maguire's tougher covers.

20230320_192014.thumb.jpg.17a4f34c6325a4851d29c3381a37271c.jpg

:applause: Never saw this before. 

On 3/22/2023 at 9:02 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Here's a few more special things 

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Armed Services Edition #909 Pretty sure this is my rarest ASE, just impossible to find.

Minty fresh copy of Asimov's "The Death Dealers", Avon T-287. Femme fatale by Robert Maguire.

20230321_212226.thumb.jpg.1fceccec02feb2d1587b8b9df340d32a.jpg

69 Barrow Street by Sheldon Lord aka Lawrence Block. Midwood #24 Cover art by Robert Rader. A classic of lesbian fiction.

These 40's Bleak House mystery pbs are tough. I love the 3D quality of this stylistic artwork. There's definitely several different cool pictures there.

Amazing books. I knew Asimov was incredibly prolific but didn't know he delved into mystery.

On 3/24/2023 at 3:37 PM, alecholland said:

I didn't even realize this thread existed. I'm going through it and adding books to my want list. I've been more of a paperback book collector than comic collector the last few years. I may try to post a few of my books if it's ok to post sci-fi paperbacks here.

I second Mr. Dowling. This is my new favorite thread!

Welcome to the show :highfive:  I think you'll find a few Science Fiction pb fans around here :)

On 3/24/2023 at 2:51 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Welcome to the show :highfive:  I think you'll find a few Science Fiction pb fans around here :)

Awesome! I may scan in a few over the weekend. It would be great to share them with other sci-fi fans. Other than my wife who mostly reads newer sci-fi (Murderbot is a favorite of hers), I don't have anyone to share them with.