• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,937 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2023 at 7:59 PM, Surfing Alien said:

You are really working those MMM's! When I started my first collection I aimed to get them all. I got about half way there. I have fewer now but you're whetting the appetite again. They have a great look with that nappy skull colophon.

How many Avon MMMs are in the series? What are the most desirable ones?

On 2/25/2023 at 6:00 PM, Sarg said:

How many Avon MMMs are in the series? What are the most desirable ones?

There are 49. Here's a decent checklist with pics of all except one:

http://www.philsp.com/pulptrader/web/pulp_mag_table5918.html

Desirable depends on what you desire. Sci Fi collectors only go after the Merritt's, but those are probably the most common. All the rest are mysteries. There are several "true first editions", including two of the Chandlers (#19 & 28) and two of the William Irish (#31 & 42). The last three are super tough to find and probably the rarest (note that the missing pic is one of those). The Chandlers and last numbers in high grade are going to be a couple hundred bucks apiece from an established bookseller. Like all vintage paperbacks though, there are still bargains to be had on the web but they're becoming less frequent from what I see. OtherEric finds some out in the wild so they're out there too but they're not getting any younger or better looking, just like us lol!

On 3/1/2023 at 4:10 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Some more nice MacDonalds. I'll have to compare but I'm pretty sure these are all upgrades.

Popular Library 737. Cover art by Raymond Johnson. Just gorgeous colors on this, one of my favorite Johnson covers. Has a few wisps of crease but i'm not complaining.

20230301_184005.thumb.jpg.ad147ed1d9be4aa24273ca317636403a.jpg

Popular Library 830. Cover art by Raymond Johnson. I don't think this one is improvable.

20230301_182222.thumb.jpg.774bbb09092b26255254aedba1d5210c.jpg

Dell First Edition B121. Cover art by Victor Kalin. I have to check but I might not have this one.

20230301_184424.thumb.jpg.2461d62566208403e46e78baebaab33c.jpg

If those are your upgrades, let me know what you do with your undercopies, please!

On 3/3/2023 at 9:30 PM, moonpool said:

I bought them for $5 each. Basically a "If you insist."  I learned fast enough with my British collection to just buy them, even if condition isn't great, because you likely won't get a second shot. So sometimes they aren't great, such as

Image_20230303_0001.jpg

100%. I've come around to that way of thinking anytime I'm confronted by rare books I want. I've never seen that Archer version of White Slave Racket. It's spectacular!