• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-level panel page valuations by artist/run - thoughts/additions/changes?
5 5

425 posts in this topic

$20-30k

McFarlane Spidey

The ASM 322 splash just sold at CLink for $16,888. This is why I have a problem with McSpidey being $20-$30K - this is a good-looking, p. 1 splash from the main Spidey title featuring a pretty darn good, large, front-facing, full-body Spidey action shot with one of the more memorable supporting cast (Silver Sable) from the run, with lots of good detail to boot. This is a solid A splash as far as I'm concerned, and it finished closer to $15K than $20K.

While I'm sure there are McSpidey interiors that would fetch $20-$30K, I think they might more properly be classified as A+ pages. 2c

$20-30k

McFarlane Spidey

The ASM 322 splash just sold at CLink for $16,888. This is why I have a problem with McSpidey being $20-$30K - this is a good-looking, p. 1 splash from the main Spidey title featuring a pretty darn good, large, front-facing, full-body Spidey action shot with one of the more memorable supporting cast (Silver Sable) from the run, with lots of good detail to boot. This is a solid A splash as far as I'm concerned, and it finished closer to $15K than $20K.

While I'm sure there are McSpidey interiors that would fetch $20-$30K, I think they might more properly be classified as A+ pages. 2c

I gotta disagree with you, Gene. I thought the inks looked faded, especially on Spidey, and I avoided bidding on this one because of that. I'm sure there are others who felt the same.

$20-30k

McFarlane Spidey

I gotta disagree with you, Gene. I thought the inks looked faded, especially on Spidey, and I avoided bidding on this one because of that. I'm sure there are others who felt the same.

How much of a discount do you think that (may have) resulted in? Still looks well bought to me, and, given the McSpidey auction results over the past year, this is far from the only data point that suggests that McSpidey interiors are not where they were as recently as 2012. (shrug)

$20-30k

McFarlane Spidey

How much of a discount do you think that (may have) resulted in? Still looks well bought to me, and, given the McSpidey auction results over the past year, this is far from the only data point that suggests that McSpidey interiors are not where they were as recently as 2012. (shrug)

I really can't say for certain what sort of discount the inks had, but I can only speak for myself when I say that I didn't even bother to bid due to decreased eye appeal for me.

$20-30k

McFarlane Spidey

Yup. While I don't doubt that the faded inks suppressed bidding, it does seem that market fatigue has set in for anything less than A+ McFarlane. This has also happened with DKR. Some tapping of the brakes on an otherwise runaway train.

Not speaking to this piece specifically but I walk away from pieces with faded inks because the fading only stands a chance to get worse and not better.

It would have to be a significant discount to make me even consider a piece that in the process of "fading to gray".

Not speaking to this piece specifically but I walk away from pieces with faded inks because the fading only stands a chance to get worse and not better.

It would have to be a significant discount to make me even consider a piece that in the process of "fading to gray".

+1

It's why I would never consider going after a Death of Capt. Marvel page.

Scott

+1

Scott

There's so much GREAT stuff that was inked with the wrong tools (in hindsight) back in the day.

Key work from Perez, McFarlane, Byrne, Starlin that are unnatural shades of purple, brown, beige now.

+1

Scott

How would you feel if these pages were touched up by a pro inker? Would it be more preferable to leave it as it is or have a pro inker go over the marker? Is it necessary to have the original inker do the work?

At some point, it's not just a question of aesthetics but also one of conservation. I don't like faded marker, either ( :sick:), but for a page I really wanted, I might be more willing to bite the bullet. If the market allows for re-inking, then that would make the decision easier.

+1

Scott

How would you feel if these pages were touched up by a pro inker? Would it be more preferable to leave it as it is or have a pro inker go over the marker? Is it necessary to have the original inker do the work?

At some point, it's not just a question of aesthetics but also one of conservation. I don't like faded marker, either ( :sick:), but for a page I really wanted, I might be more willing to bite the bullet. If the market allows for re-inking, then that would make the decision easier.

Perhaps...maybe...but only the original inker from the piece....maybe.

+1

Scott

Perhaps...maybe...but only the original inker from the piece....maybe.

That would be preferable, but only if the original inker still maintained a near peak skill set. And since most faded marker pieces are several decades old at least, that is not always possible. And it would matter if there was a lot of detail work or mostly filling in the blacks type of stuff. I know for the McSpidey splash, I would have no problem finding a high quality inker to fill in the blacks on Spiderman without batting an eyelash, but that's just me.

Coincidentally, the other McSpidey page in this Clink auction was inked by me, and the Wolverine figure has his trunks inked with, you guessed it, an unstable marker (a Sharpie). We all used Sharpies back then as a time saver now and again. So I was part of the problem. If the new owner wants to hire me to be part of the solution, done and done.

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

Is that Mcfarlane piece really faded or is it the pelikin ink Todd would use sometimes. I used it in art class after I read Todd mention it and ended up with that brown look. hated it.

Edited by KingKoa

I wouldn't mind having pages professionally restored… I ESPECIALLY wouldn't mind somebody re-filling in the spotted blacks.

Question for Scott: Has anyone ever commissioned you to restore a faded piece originally inked by someone other than yourself?

If they can restore the Sistine Chapel, why not a McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man splash?

Is that Mcfarlane piece really faded or is it the pelikin ink Todd would use sometimes. I used it in art class after I read Todd mention it and ended up with that brown look. hated it.

No, it's typical of Sharpie work, not Pelican ink. I guarantee it's sharpie.

Scott

I wouldn't mind having pages professionally restored… I ESPECIALLY wouldn't mind somebody re-filling in the spotted blacks.

Question for Scott: Has anyone ever commissioned you to restore a faded piece originally inked by someone other than yourself?

If they can restore the Sistine Chapel, why not a McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man splash?

Yes. hm

Scott

Yes. hm

Scott

Your skill and versatility makes you a perfect candidate...

Follow-up question: Did you charge strictly by the amount of work required (time, difficulty, etc…)? Or did the value of the page come into play? (A la CGC charging more to grade an Amazing Fantasy 15 than they would a silver foil variant of McFarlane's Spider-Man #1)

Yes. hm

Scott

Your skill and versatility makes you a perfect candidate...

Follow-up question: Did you charge strictly by the amount of work required (time, difficulty, etc…)? Or did the value of the page come into play? (A la CGC charging more to grade an Amazing Fantasy 15 than they would a silver foil variant of McFarlane's Spider-Man #1)

This might be a topic for its own thread, there are so many nuances. I have a couple of late Kirby pages inked by Royer & Berry that have passages of marker. It's not faded yet, but I assume it will be someday, and I don't feel I can display them. I've thought of trying to hire Mike to redo them (no idea whether he would or what he would charge) but it seems to me that the re-inking would end up looking very slightly heavier than the original because the new sharp ink line would have to cover the slightly un-sharp line left by the marker.

Notwithstanding this, standards of legitimate art restoration are always based on the realities and market needs of the time, and as time goes by and values rise while original inkers become less and less available, I think we are going to see third-party re-inks becoming a norm. The recent TOS cover and the restored Foster Tarzan page of a few seasons ago have shown that the market is open to heavy restoration of OA much more than it is with comics.

+1

Scott

Shame too, about those gorgeous Mike Golden 'Nam pages!

Yes. hm

Scott

No need to be coy. :baiting: (I kid, I kid! :foryou: )

From the CGC Boards, 7/27/2010:

Yes, guilty as charged. I re-inked all the faded marker work from the page in question [the Uncanny X-Men #133 end splash]. And with all due respect Hari, I think the page looked like hell when Albert commissioned me 3 or 4 years ago, so besides being paid for my service, I felt I was rescuing the piece from some hideously drastic fading. It was beyond an eyesore, and not in the way that glue stains or random white out can be, but more like something that was damaged. In the end, I was quite satisfied with the final result, and would defy anyone to be able to distinguish my line from Terry's. This is as much as anything due to the fact that Terry had a super clean, almost mechanical line at this time, which is the type of line easiest to "ghost" for an inker, as opposed to an expressive, organic line. My goal was to be as invisible and unobtrusive as humanly possible, and in my mind I succeeded. I can see how this might rub some people the wrong way, but it is what it is.

I don't know how common this practice is. I was asked at this years Comic Con by Joe M at All Star to do some similar restoration on a couple of Neal Adams Batman pages that had marker work by Adams that was badly faded and water damaged. For various reasons I won't go into, I declined.

If Albert sold or tried to sell this piece without full disclosure, tell me, and I will give him holy hell. Seems unlikely to me. But, I wonder if I should have noted and dated my work somehow in the margin or on the back of the page since it seems less and less likely that disclosure will be made as the piece changes hands. The quality of the piece won't fade, but the history of it might and that's a problem.

So bring out those torches and pitchforks, and I'll be waiting for you at the top of the windmill!

Scott Williams

145282.jpg.3f871e9f571dc05c4976985eadbf3918.jpg