• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

$29.5K for a 5.0! :headbang:

A CGC 5.5 (with chipping) just went on Clink for $23,500

That 5.0 that went for $29.5 may have either been an upgrade candidate or someone just wanted a strong looking 5.0 copy.

I had my eyes on that book but I believe its not upgradeable based on grader notes, really sharp looking book

It wouldn't surprise me that a 5.0 with high eye appeal went for more than a 5.5 that wasn't as pretty but "technically" scored better in grading.

So much of that is the whim of the graders and what each company "allows" at each grade level.

That 5.0 that went for $29.5 may have either been an upgrade candidate or someone just wanted a strong looking 5.0 copy.

I had my eyes on that book but I believe its not upgradeable based on grader notes, really sharp looking book

It wouldn't surprise me that a 5.0 with high eye appeal went for more than a 5.5 that wasn't as pretty but "technically" scored better in grading.

I would expect a strong 5.0 to potentially reach a 5.5 price but not to exceed it unless someone thought it was going to possibly upgrade.

There is a noticeable "dip" in the price for 5.5 in general, across all CGC graded books.

My theory is that collectors see CGC 5.0 as the "nice round middle" of the 10 point scale, and collectors see CGC 6.0 as the entry point to "Fine or better", especially if they use FN as a minimum acceptable grade.

CGC 5.5 is an overlooked middle child in that trio, and for whatever reason, CGC 5.5 often sells for around CGC 5.0 prices... as if that extra .5 is somehow worthless.

Hulk 181 is the best frequent example of this phenomenon, but AF 15 is not immune.

That is true and I've noticed it in more than one price point for certain books but I also believe that as the price rises the less this becomes prevalent.

Once you're into 5 figures, that little 0.5 starts to mean more and more.

I would expect a strong 5.0 to potentially reach a 5.5 price but not to exceed it unless someone thought it was going to possibly upgrade.

That cc 5.0 beat the cl 5.5 by a decent margin. The potential of the 5.0 being upgradeable is questionable at best.

There is a noticeable "dip" in the price for 5.5 in general, across all CGC graded books.

My theory is that collectors see CGC 5.0 as the "nice round middle" of the 10 point scale, and collectors see CGC 6.0 as the entry point to "Fine or better", especially if they use FN as a minimum acceptable grade.

CGC 5.5 is an overlooked middle child in that trio, and for whatever reason, CGC 5.5 often sells for around CGC 5.0 prices... as if that extra .5 is somehow worthless.

Hulk 181 is the best frequent example of this phenomenon, but AF 15 is not immune.

Makes sense.

And 8.0 seems the first step in the "high grade" gateway..

The potential of the 5.0 being upgradeable is questionable at best.

You've said this more than once. Why do you feel that way?

Bottom back cover stain

Bottom staple rusted

Interior cover tanning

Spine readers crease breaks color

Staple recessed

Whole book subscription crease breaks color

That being said that 5.0 has an eye appeal of a 7.5+

Bottom back cover stain

Bottom staple rusted

Interior cover tanning

Staple recessed

But those notes don't tell you whether the book is up-gradeable or not. (shrug)

Grading notes are simply a guideline. You can only really tell if you see the book in hand.

It's my guess that someone involved in bidding thought it had a shot. That's my 2c and the only way to explain why the book would sell for as much or more than the next grade.

Bottom back cover stain

Bottom staple rusted

Interior cover tanning

Staple recessed

But those notes don't tell you whether the book is up-gradeable or not. (shrug)

Grading notes are simply a guideline. You can only really tell if you see the book in hand.

It's my guess that someone involved in bidding thought it had a shot. That's my 2c and the only way to explain why the book would sell for as much or more than the next grade.

I'm in STs camp, it's not upgradable. But it's most likely one of the nicest 5.0s in existence hence the strong price.

Reminds me of a 4.5 af15 comicmylar had on eBay sitting forever at 12,995 when 4.5s were pulling sub 10k. It had monster eye appeal but a huge diagonal crease on the BC.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that the book is not upgradeable as we have no way of knowing without actually seeing the book in hand, my main point is that if a book hits a high, that is by no means 'the' actual value of the book.

When you're in a mature market like this one (80 years into the hobby, with large price variations between grades) it takes more than just a single sales data point to value an item.

So far, nearly every single record sale I've seen in the mid grades have been on either books that did eventually upgrade or looked like they might upgrade. Using outliers as base values might be profitable in the short term but it is not healthy for any market in the long term.

Only thing worse than no information is half information.

Especially when the half the dealers want to report all seems designed to steer and mislead the subscriber's impression of the market as going in one direction only. (tsk)

On the other hand, GPA themselves are knowingly guilty of providing only half information since they apparently only report on CGC sales and nothing at all on the other company's slabbed sales. (shrug)

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that the book is not upgradeable as we have no way of knowing without actually seeing the book in hand, my main point is that if a book hits a high, that is by no means 'the' actual value of the book.

When you're in a mature market like this one (80 years into the hobby, with large price variations between grades) it takes more than just a single sales data point to value an item.

So far, nearly every single record sale I've seen in the mid grades have been on either books that did eventually upgrade or looked like they might upgrade. Using outliers as base values might be profitable in the short term but it is not healthy for any market in the long term.

The other possibility is that the buyer will hold on and not resell or regrade. Buyer wanted a super nice eye appeal of a 7.5 looking front cover without having to pay $75k

Edited by Spiderturtle

That's absolutely a possibility and when I'm buying to keep and want something really bad, I've been known to overpay. lol

I'm sure all of us are in that boat. I know I am. Some books are almost impossible to come by, and when they do show up, trends be damned. Get it while you can.

Yes, and when you are buying to keep, the important thing to remember is that it's not so much about trying to time the market, as opposed to time in the market.

It's simply amazing how time in the market can often times overcome serious mistakes such as overpaying or failing to detect restoration when you had initially brought the book. hm(thumbs u

That's absolutely a possibility and when I'm buying to keep and want something really bad, I've been known to overpay. lol

I'm sure all of us are in that boat. I know I am. Some books are almost impossible to come by, and when they do show up, trends be damned. Get it while you can.

I'm with you guys. I know I've overpaid for many books over the years. But it never bothered me too much. But it's the books I let get away that I have regrets about.

I'm with you guys. I know I've overpaid for many books over the years. But it never bothered me too much. But it's the books I let get away that I have regrets about.

Yeah, it's never fun to forget an auction, then see the result be WAY under what you would have pushed it to.

I can see why somebody paid $29.5K for that 5.0. Its nice! It looked nicer than some 5.5s and even 6.0s. This is the same reason why I had absolutely no problem "overpaying" for my 5.0 copy with white pages. I preferred to pay a few thousand over the going price for a 5.0 than have to pay $10-20K more for a higher graded book as in my opinion my 5.0 presents much better than its given grade.