• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

It wouldn't surprise me that a 5.0 with high eye appeal went for more than a 5.5 that wasn't as pretty but "technically" scored better in grading.

I would expect a strong 5.0 to potentially reach a 5.5 price but not to exceed it unless someone thought it was going to possibly upgrade.

Have you not heard of the rising trend in terms of buying the book, as opposed to buying the label which is so passe in today's market. :gossip:

Especially with collectors now willing to pay record dollars for entry level copies of key or HTF books when they become available, even if they are in ungraded raw condition and sometimes, even in restored condition. (thumbs u

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that the book is not upgradeable as we have no way of knowing without actually seeing the book in hand, my main point is that if a book hits a high, that is by no means 'the' actual value of the book.

When you're in a mature market like this one (80 years into the hobby, with large price variations between grades) it takes more than just a single sales data point to value an item.

So far, nearly every single record sale I've seen in the mid grades have been on either books that did eventually upgrade or looked like they might upgrade. Using outliers as base values might be profitable in the short term but it is not healthy for any market in the long term.

The other possibility is that the buyer will hold on and not resell or regrade. Buyer wanted a super nice eye appeal of a 7.5 looking front cover without having to pay $75k

I agree with this possibility also. He can also buy and hold onto it for a few years and then sell it for a profit. At the rate this book continues to appreciate it, there is a good possibility that this will happen.

Yes, my fingers are crossed. I actually am in real estate and I bought an entire estate (house with everything inside). And after a few days I found a box full of comics. This gem was one of them. Only time I've ever found anything of value in any of my projects.

Yes, my fingers are crossed. I actually am in real estate and I bought an entire estate (house with everything inside). And after a few days I found a box full of comics. This gem was one of them. Only time I've ever found anything of value in any of my projects.

Love this story already. I can't wait to hear what else was in the box and how many comics there were. Were you able to find out anything else about the previous owners of the house?

There were about 150 comics. I found some pretty awesome comics IMO. Here is a group shot of some of the top issues.

ouV0FIsg.jpg

I haven't been able to find out too much about them personally. I know they lived there a very long time and had both passed away and the house sat vacant for a while before the family decided to sell it and everything inside. What I can't wrap my head around is how this box of comics came together. With so many keys in it I have to believe he was a collector of some sort, but the way they were sort of stuffed in a box without being bagged or boarded and in the location of the house I found them it's honestly really blowing my mind. Because if he was a collector he would have known their worth and should have stored them differently. One of the most confusing, lucky, fortuitous things I have ever been a part of.

Most of the keys are surprisingly in good shape

There were about 150 comics. I found some pretty awesome comics IMO. Here is a group shot of some of the top issues.

ouV0FIsg.jpg

I haven't been able to find out too much about them personally. I know they lived there a very long time and had both passed away and the house sat vacant for a while before the family decided to sell it and everything inside. What I can't wrap my head around is how this box of comics came together. With so many keys in it I have to believe he was a collector of some sort, but the way they were sort of stuffed in a box without being bagged or boarded and in the location of the house I found them it's honestly really blowing my mind. Because if he was a collector he would have known their worth and should have stored them differently. One of the most confusing, lucky, fortuitous things I have ever been a part of.

:o

:whee:

ouV0FIsg.jpg

What an exciting story! Please do keep us updated! And... congratulations!!! :-)

As I posted in this forum some time ago, I have been a sports cards collector for some time, until I decided a few months ago that comics reflect much better my cultural interests and trigger best my collecting instinct (and compulsion lol).

I spent the last 6 months or so doing my research, reading about comics history, getting into the Silver Age stories and art by reading Omnibuses and getting familiar with the artists and the significance of different issues. I know enough to know that I know nothing, but thats what makes all this an interesting challenge.

I am more than happy today to officially kick off my collection by receiving and showing my ticket to this great club, one that I have been following and studying for months :-).

(I need to purchase a legal size scanner - this one is a composition of two different scans!)

AF15_F_White_Small.jpg

Edited by SECollector

WTTC! Way to jump right into the hobby with a Mega Key! :applause:

Thank you so much. And now the tough choices: go for an ASM #1 and continue with some of the keys of the first 20 spidey issues which I genuinely love and admire, or focus on some other big keys that I also love, with FF1 being my favourite? If only funds were unlimited, lol.

ouV0FIsg.jpg

Whoa! Sensational find.