• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

I also think that way when it comes to SA books up to Bronze age (would affect BA books more if pages are less than offwhite). For GA books, cream-offwhite sells for about the same as a book with offwhite or offwhite-white pages. White pages still command a premium in all eras.

there are some books, where white pages is the "norm" and lower pq is actually a "no no"... so, not all books get a premium for white pages, so to speak, but a discount for less than...

that said, I think many folks do or will pay a slight premium for white pages books (certain ones)...others, I don't think it really matters that much (commons versus keys)

Tis true/ good point turtle

4k a point works for ow or better pq, no mc and better than avg eye appeal

A 4.0 with cr/ow pages and marvel chipping is likely to fetch 10-25% less, as an example

And yes, my formula is for 1.0-5.0

Is this predominately at shows ? I haven't seen the "PQ" on the label affect prices either way in the mid to lower grades at auction or on ebay BIN's. MC yes, but even now that seems to matter less as overall inventory has dwindled.

-J.

Pq, in my experience, is a minor to moderate differential, even among lower grades. Not so much 2.0 and below but definitely in 4.0

A quick perusal of GPA reveals that you are correct with regard to 4.0, though even there the books with "cream to off white pages" on the label are spot on with the 12 month GPA average for all sales. Overall, I would say that it is difficult, if not impossible to know if some or any of the price differences are related to marvel chipping and/or the "PQ" on the label, or just the normal market forces of the book heating up again and the timing of the various copies coming to market.

For Example:

-In a 1.5 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label has the current GPA high;.

-In a 1.8 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label has the current GPA high;

-In a 2.0 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label is 2nd highest, sandwiched in between two books (1st and 3rd highest) with "ow/w" on the label;

-In a 2.5 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label has the current GPA high;

-In a 3.0 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label is the 2nd highest, and tied with 4 other books with all manner of "PQ" on the label, up to and including "ow/w";

-In a 3.5 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label is 2nd highest, sandwiched in between two books (1st and 3rd highest) with "ow" on the label;

-In a 4.5 TWO books with "cream to off white pages" on the label have the current GPA highs.

After that the sales get too sparse and sporadic to do an adequate analysis.

But the trend is clear....there is no trend. Books with "cream to off white pages" on the label in every grade between 1.0 and 4.5 (with the exception of 4.0, though, again, those books are still in line with GPA 12 month averages) are either the current GPA highs (in four of seven of the grades), or 2nd highest (positioned between books with "ow" and "ow/w" on the label in the 1st and 3rd highest sales spots). No "discounts" or "premiums" either way can be observed from this data IMO.

-J.

A 4.0 with cr/ow pages and marvel chipping is likely to fetch 10-25% less, as an example

Is this predominately at shows ? I haven't seen the "PQ" on the label affect prices either way in the mid to lower grades at auction or on ebay BIN's. MC yes, but even now that seems to matter less as overall inventory has dwindled.

-J.

Pq, in my experience, is a minor to moderate differential, even among lower grades. Not so much 2.0 and below but definitely in 4.0

A quick perusal of GPA reveals that you are correct with regard to 4.0, though even there the books with "cream to off white pages" on the label are spot on with the 12 month GPA average for all sales. Overall, I would say that it is difficult, if not impossible to know if some or any of the price differences are related to marvel chipping and/or the "PQ" on the label, or just the normal market forces of the book heating up again and the timing of the various copies coming to market.

For Example:

-In a 1.5 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label has the current GPA high;.

-In a 1.8 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label has the current GPA high;

-In a 2.0 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label is 2nd highest, sandwiched in between two books (1st and 3rd highest) with "ow/w" on the label;

-In a 2.5 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label has the current GPA high;

-In a 3.0 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label is the 2nd highest, and tied with 4 other books with all manner of "PQ" on the label, up to and including "ow/w";

-In a 3.5 a book with "cream to off white pages" on the label is 2nd highest, sandwiched in between two books (1st and 3rd highest) with "ow" on the label;

-In a 4.5 TWO books with "cream to off white pages" on the label have the current GPS highs.

But the trend is clear....there is no trend. Books with "cream to off white pages" on the label in every grade between 1.0 and 4.5 (with the exception of 4.0, though, again, those books are still in line with GPA 12 month averages) are either the current GPA highs (in four of seven of the grades), or 2nd highest (positioned between books with "ow" and "ow/w" on the label in the 1st and 3rd highest sales spots). No "discounts" or "premiums" either way can be observed from this data IMO.

-J.

Score for my AF15 CGC 4.0 with cream to off white pages with a Stan Lee signature inside on the front page and no marvel chipping!

Thanks for looking all this up and sharing!

-J.

For Example:

-In a 4.5 TWO books with "cream to off white pages" on the label have the current GPA highs.

-J.

Score for my AF15 CGC 4.0 with cream to off white pages with a Stan Lee signature inside on the front page and no marvel chipping!

Thanks for looking all this up and sharing!

(thumbs u

-J.

-J.

For Example:

-J.

no idea what gpa highs are, but I sold a 4.5 ow/w, no mc for 17995...

as for what pq copies are setting gpa highs, my guess is it is some are likely the most recent sold copy....so, again, not sure it is pq so much as it is demand for "any" copy at this point where supply seems restricted relative to demand...

I think if you have 4.0's (or any grade really), side by side that are visually comparable, one with cr/ow and one with ow/w, my guess is 100% of folks would choose the ow/w if priced the same, and some % would pay a slight premium for the ow/w over the cr/ow...that is the real "tale tell"

I also believe eye appeal to be a bigger factor than pq....so, again, the cr/ow copies might have great eye appeal compared to an ow/w copy all chipped up...so J, your data may not tell us anything (shrug) without some qualifiers

there really is only logic that makes sense...the nicer looking book combined with nicer pages should and probably "is" worth more and will retail for more... really that simple

-J.

For Example:

-J.

as for what pq copies are setting gpa highs, my guess is it is some are likely the most recent sold copy....so, again, not sure it is pq so much as it is demand for "any" copy at this point where supply seems restricted relative to demand...

I think if you have 4.0's (or any grade really), side by side that are visually comparable, one with cr/ow and one with ow/w, my guess is 100% of folks would choose the ow/w if priced the same, and some % would pay a slight premium for the ow/w over the cr/ow...that is the real "tale tell"

I also believe eye appeal to be a bigger factor than pq....so, again, the cr/ow copies might have great eye appeal compared to an ow/w copy all chipped up...so J, your data may not tell us anything (shrug) without some qualifiers

there really is only logic that makes sense...the nicer looking book combined with nicer pages should and probably "is" worth more and will retail for more... really that simple

Rick don't try he won't budge on it.

-J.

For Example:

-J.

Rick don't try he won't budge on it.

You're right. I won't. And for the reason Rick said: there are too many qualifiers involved for it to be provable. Sure, you put two books side by side somebody takes the one that says "ow" on the label first. Does that mean that book is "worth" more than the other? No it doesn't. Because now supply has been cut in half, with equal demand, except there is only one copy now, and it happens to have "cr/ow" on the label. So do you now reduce your price, charge the same, or charge more because it's your last copy ?

I think the answer to that is obvious.

Folks can believe whatever they want and have their own personal preferences, but the hard data is indisputable. The "PQ" on the label just does not affect the price. It is impossible to prove that it does, and extremely easy to prove that it does not (as to the aforementioned grade ranges). :devil:

-J.

Folks can believe whatever they want and have their own personal preferences, but the hard data is indisputable. The "PQ" on the label just does not affect the price. It is impossible to prove that it does, and extremely easy to prove that it does not (as to the aforementioned grade ranges). :devil:

-J.

Actually J, I believe just the opposite...

I have had same graded copies and sold the one with better pq for a higher price in almost every instance...while restrictive and limited data, that is data that supports better pq will sell for more..."proof" if you will...

in fact, Sat at megacon, I had 2 cgc 5.5 Flash 105...one with cr/ow, one with ow...they visually appeared almost identical... the ow copy sold for $100 more (and sold first)... again, "proof"... the customer even said "for $100 more, I will take the nicer pq" :o

and hard data (such as census), doesn't support that it is only "pq" that is responsible for price...just the opposite, the data doesn't say one way or another what drove the price for that particular copy to be the highest (there are too many variables)...so, it is not quantifiable or applicable, where as real world, side by side, same time sales are

but pq absolutely, in real world sales environment, affects price for the majority of buyers and sellers... that is "indisputable" from first hand sales experience over years and years of cgc sales

Folks can believe whatever they want and have their own personal preferences, but the hard data is indisputable.

-J.

The 'hard data' you refer to is as soft as a baby's behind. The majority of sales of major Marvel SA keys occur without being reported to GPA. Those reported to GPA don't provide information on upgrade potential, chipping, staining or writing.

But go ahead and knock yourself out disagreeing with one of the hobby's dealers with vast experience in pricing and selling SA Marvel megakeys. Or with the well known and highly experienced dealer who priced and sold my unchipped midgrade copies of AF15 (ow/w) and Hulk 1 (w) for prices that crushed the recorded GPA highs.

-J.

Actually J, I believe just the opposite...

I have had same graded copies and sold the one with better pq for a higher price in almost every instance...while restrictive and limited data, that is data that supports better pq will sell for more..."proof" if you will...

in fact, Sat at megacon, I had 2 cgc 5.5 Flash 105...one with cr/ow, one with ow...they visually appeared almost identical... the ow copy sold for $100 more (and sold first)... again, "proof"... the customer even said "for $100 more, I will take the nicer pq" :o

and hard data (such as census), doesn't support that it is "pq" that is responsible for price...just the opposite, the data doesn't say one way or another what drove the price for that particular copy to be the highest (there are too many variables)...so, it is not quantifiable or applicable, where as real world, side by side, same time sales are

Apart from the fact that the "pq" on the label is completely arbitrary and flip flops around on re-subs to the point of utter meaninglessness, the examples you are stating from the field qualify as anecdotal. And unless you poll every buyer you simply can and will never know what caused them to make their final buying decision.

If the hypothesis is "Books with 'better pq' on the label ALWAYS sell for more", then the conclusion is an easy and obvious "no", based on publicly available sales data. If the hypothesis is then changed to "Books with 'better pq' on the label USUALLY sell for more". Then the conclusion is still "no" based on publicly available sales data. If the hypothesis is changed yet again to "Books with 'better pq' on the label SOMETIMES sell for more", then the conclusion becomes meaningless since sometimes it does and then sometimes it doesn't. Which brings us back to the only reasonable over arching conclusion to be (when using the scientific method) that the "pq" on the label does not affect prices.

I hope you're not needlessly under-cutting the pricing on some of your own books Gator. ;):baiting:

-J.

Folks can believe whatever they want and have their own personal preferences, but the hard data is indisputable.

-J.

The 'hard data' you refer to is as soft as a baby's behind. The majority of sales of major Marvel SA keys occur without being reported to GPA. Those reported to GPA don't provide information on upgrade potential or chipping.

But go ahead and knock yourself out disagreeing with one of the hobby's dealers with vast experience in pricing and selling SA Marvel megakeys.

gpa not only doesn't include or detail upgrade potential and chipping, but eye appeal, venue of sale, time of sale, number of copies for sale at that time, purchasers intention, etc, etc...

that's why gpa data can't be used to make a determination about pq affects on price ,either way...

only real world, side by side sales can...

I provided a perfect example of this from 2 days ago....but I have dozens and dozens of sales examples that support the fact that pq does affect price in most every instance...

in a convention or store setting, where the majority of variables being equal (time, venue, price, etc), the higher pq almost always sells first, and sells for more... "fact" if you will, at least for me and probably every other major seller...

Apart from the fact that the "pq" on the label is completely arbitrary and flip flops around on re-subs to the point of utter meaninglessness, ...

-J.

Only to those who can't grade page quality.

As for CGC, they hit page quality with the same frequency on repeat submissions as they do numerical grade.

-J.

The 'hard data' you refer to is as soft as a baby's behind. The majority of sales of major Marvel SA keys occur without being reported to GPA. Those reported to GPA don't provide information on upgrade potential, chipping, staining or writing.

But go ahead and knock yourself out disagreeing with one of the hobby's dealers with vast experience in pricing and selling SA Marvel megakeys. Or with the well known and highly experienced dealer who priced and sold my unchipped midgrade copies of AF15 (ow/w) and Hulk 1 (w) for prices that crushed the recorded GPA highs.

There are also plenty of dealers who DO report to GPA, and I'm confident that we have more than enough of a sample size to get a good idea of what's going on. The backroom deals that occur outside of public view are the ones that should probably be taken with a grain of salt. And how do you know there aren't other unreported sales that didn't also "crush GPA" with different "pq's" on the label ? You don't. Therein lies the problem.

Congrats on your strong sales though.

-J.

-J.

The 'hard data' you refer to is as soft as a baby's behind. The majority of sales of major Marvel SA keys occur without being reported to GPA. Those reported to GPA don't provide information on upgrade potential or chipping.

But go ahead and knock yourself out disagreeing with one of the hobby's dealers with vast experience in pricing and selling SA Marvel megakeys.

gpa not only doesn't include or detail upgrade potential and chipping, but eye appeal, venue of sale, time of sale, number of copies for sale at that time, purchasers intention, etc, etc...

that's why gpa data can't be used to make a determination about pq affects on price ,either way...

only real world, side by side sales can...

I provided a perfect example of this from 2 days ago....but I have dozens and dozens of sales examples that support the fact that pq does affect price in most every instance...

in a convention or store setting, where the majority of variables being equal (time, venue, price, etc), the higher pq almost always sells first, and sells for more... "fact" if you will, at least for me and probably every other major seller...

So what does it mean, then if the very next day after the convention somebody pops a copy from comicmylars on ebay with "cr/ow" on the label that beats any book you sold in grade the day before ?

I posit that it means nothing at all either way.

-J.

If the hypothesis is "Books with 'better pq' on the label ALWAYS sell for more", then the conclusion is an easy and obvious "no", based on publicly available sales data. If the hypothesis is then changed to "Books with 'better pq' on the label USUALLY sell for more". Then the conclusion is still "no" based on publicly available sales data. If the hypothesis is changed yet again to "Books with 'better pq' on the label SOMETIMES sell for more", then the conclusion becomes meaningless since sometimes it does and then sometimes it doesn't. Which brings us back to the only reasonable over arching conclusion to be (when using the scientific method) that the "pq" on the label does not affect prices.

-J.

always is an absolute, and very likely impossible to confirm...

but usually I believe is a reasonable assertion to make, based on actual sales that allow a comparison to be made ...

what you seem to be missing intentionally or unintentionally is that :

1)gpa captures only a fraction of sales data, and is typically NOT retail sales but wholesale sales (that what auction houses typically are used for)

2)gpa data are not comparable sales...ie, they don't happen at the same time, in the same venue and under the same market conditions.... so NO conclusion can realistically be drawn from that portion of public data concerning pq, because there is no detail as to "why" one book sold for what it did, relative to others...

3)convention and store sellers will tell you pq does matter, and folks like me can back it up with real world examples , under the SAME market conditions (that's key, of course)

so from that usable data, I can state with some certainty that PQ does affect both price and desirability when the environment for comparable sales affords itself

So what does it mean, then if the very next day after the convention somebody pops a copy from comicmylars on ebay with "cr/ow" on the label that beats any book you sold in grade the day before ?

I posit that it means nothing at all either way.

-J.

exactly, it means nothing at all... if there is no same grade "alternative" copy with better pq at a reasonable premium to the lessor pq copy, that the ebay buyer had a chance to purchase at the SAME time, there is nothing from which to draw a conclusion... the sale is not relevant or relative to other sales

but, when market conditions exist so that one/buyer can make a purchasing decision between 2 copies, with distinquishable (as defined by cgc) pq, THEN the better pq will garner higher demand and higher price in almost every instance (always exceptions)...

-J.

always is an absolute, and very likely impossible to confirm...

but usually I believe is a reasonable assertion to make, based on actual sales that allow a comparison to be made ...

what you seem to be missing intentionally or unintentionally is that :

1)gpa captures only a fraction of sales data, and is typically NOT retail sales but wholesale sales (that what auction houses typically are used for)

2)gpa data are not comparable sales...ie, they don't happen at the same time, in the same venue and under the same market conditions.... so NO conclusion can realistically be drawn from that portion of public data concerning pq, because there is no detail as to "why" one book sold for what it did, relative to others...

3)convention and store sellers will tell you pq does matter, and folks like me can back it up with real world examples , under the SAME market conditions (that's key, of course)

so from that usable data, I can state with some certainty that PQ does affect both price and desirability when the environment for comparable sales affords itself

I understand what you're saying about GPA. No, all sales do not happen at one time and at the same place. That is why the standard that you are attempting to hold my analysis to is unrealistic.

And if your only criteria is "in a perfect world with all things being equal (other than 'pq'), proximate, and concurrent" then you are also holding your own analysis to an unrealistic standard because that will almost never happen either.

The reality is in the middle, but the standard of proof for your position is much higher than mine. There seems to be a bit of cognitive dissonance here, because the reality is that "pq" on the label does not "always" affect price. You can't prove that it does and I have proven that it doesn't. It does not even "usually" affect price. At best, it "sometimes" affects price. But then that means that it also "sometimes" does not. Which basically renders it meaningless as a litmus.

-J.