• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

ahh, but it happens all the time....I have multiples of the same book in grade dozens and dozens of times a year...and make sales that way...and I can prove that it happens in almost every instance (say 90% + of the time) that better pq results in higher demand and higher prices... so I can prove it, and I know it to be true based on my real world sales...

the only way to prove your point that pq doesn't result in higher sales or doesn't matter (the ONLY way, you have not proven anything with quoting random data) is to support with sales of lower pq books vs higher at same or better prices, in and under the SAME market conditions...that's pretty clear, right ?

My only input into this discussion is that given the nosebleed prices realized for keys like AF 15, the important component for many buyers isn't PQ but the ability to resubmit for a potentially higher grade after pressing or other procedures.

Collectors like myself, in general, like nice page quality and eye appeal. Speculators and/or dealers who see an opportunity for a profit, however, wouldn't worry too much about PQ if they could get a book from a 4.0 to a 5.0.

Do others agree that this would be a factor for why books with lower page quality or eye appeal get grabbed at higher prices sometimes? Lots of money at stake on these SA keys.

Dan

ahh, but it happens all the time....I have multiples of the same book in grade dozens and dozens of times a year...and make sales that way...

so the only way to truly say pq matters or doesn't matter is in that context...and I can "prove " that is does based on dozens of sales examples every year, and to prove or make a statement to the alternative cannot have any support other than under the same sales environment...

Except you still cannot know for sure, even then, what is happening at other booths, or whether or not a certain buyer paid more or less for a copy for what particular reason, or whether or not you as a dealer were willing to accept less on a particular book because you perhaps had a slower than expected day, or you were holding out for top dollar on a book because it was your last copy and that issue turned out to be hotter than usual at the convention. You just don't know. lol

GPA is a good, sterile, unbiased tool that tells us a lot. Many sales do happen within a very close time frame to one another, and across multiple venues. That is why I made it a point to mention the "pq" on the labels of books that sold both before and after the books in question where applicable. All the sales do not need to happen at the same time at the same place for the data to be relevant. If that were the case then any and all comps for anything would be completely useless. Attempting to discount or minimize that data might give the impression that one is viewing the issue a bit myopically.

-J.

Of course I know what happens at other Booths around me at a convention, because I ask and we discuss amongst each other.

And sales that happen weeks or even months apart are not necessarily comparable to previous sales in a different market under different market conditions etc.

The only way to empirically make a statement that page quality matters to the price of a book or doesnt matter is to collect sales data of same grade books with differing page quality that are available at the same time to perspective buyers and let them dictate whether it matters or not

From my historical sales data and sales experience (not sterile data), it absolutely matters and better Page quality books result in higher prices, all other variables being the same

I see it time and time and time and time again in my and other dealer sales results, that's proof enough for me

And that will be my last statement on this matter in this thread

Of course I know what happens at other Booths around me at a convention, because I ask and we discuss amongst each other.

And sales that happen weeks or even months apart are not necessarily comparable to previous sales in a different market under different market conditions etc.

The only way to empirically make a statement that page quality matters to the price of a book or doesnt matter is to collect sales data of same grade books with differing page quality that are available at the same time to perspective buyers and let them dictate whether it matters or not

From my historical sales data and sales experience (not sterile data), it absolutely matters and better Page quality books result in higher prices, all other variables being the same

I see it time and time and time and time again in my and other dealer sales results, that's proof enough for me

And that will be my last statement on this matter in this thread

I didn't use sales that were "weeks and months apart". They were days apart in many cases. Even if they were sold weeks and months apart, they are still "comparable books". Even in real estate you can use sales data from up to a year ago. A book does need to be sold off from the same table or off from another table at the same convention within 5 minutes of another book to be a "comp". Come on now. lol

But the take away from what you're saying seems to be that the unreported sales on convention floors follow a different pattern than what can be observed in publicly available sales data.

That still takes me back to my original point: "pq" does not "always" or even "usually" affect the price. Only "sometimes" at "some" venues under "certain" circumstances. That many qualifiers, together with all of the other qualifiers that can affect the price of a particular book (not the least of which being the actual structural grade) coupled with the arbitrary way that "pq" is assigned in the first place, makes it one of the least consistent and reliable means to gauge how, what, or why a book sold for a particular amount.

That was fun. (thumbs u

-J.

My only input into this discussion is that given the nosebleed prices realized for keys like AF 15, the important component for many buyers isn't PQ but the ability to resubmit for a potentially higher grade after pressing or other procedures.

Collectors like myself, in general, like nice page quality and eye appeal. Speculators and/or dealers who see an opportunity for a profit, however, wouldn't worry too much about PQ if they could get a book from a 4.0 to a 5.0.

Do others agree that this would be a factor for why books with lower page quality or eye appeal get grabbed at higher prices sometimes? Lots of money at stake on these SA keys.

Dan

AF 15's demand is enormous, That's why people are slabbing NG's. It's that "I have to have it" mentality and people are lining up even if the book is torn up in pieces, we see this with Action 1's and Detective 27's. The same is starting with the AF 15 and FF 1. Just not enough copies to go around and people setting on lower grades cause they can't afford the mid to upper grades anymore.

Finally joined the Elite clubhouse! Took awhile, But I got there! No writing, Date Stamps or Marvel Chipping and solid page quality! It'll be here in a few days.

6e29ox.jpg

By any measure that it is a mighty solid copy. Congrats. :applause:

-J.

+1 Clean Spidey is all that matters to me. All the wear is on the edges. Cant beat that!

Finally joined the Elite clubhouse! Took awhile, But I got there! No writing, Date Stamps or Marvel Chipping and solid page quality! It'll be here in a few days.

6e29ox.jpg

By any measure that it is a mighty solid copy. Congrats. :applause:

-J.

+1 Clean Spidey is all that matters to me. All the wear is on the edges. Cant beat that!

Very nice, no mc!

Dan

AF 15's demand is enormous, That's why people are slabbing NG's. It's that "I have to have it" mentality and people are lining up even if the book is torn up in pieces, we see this with Action 1's and Detective 27's. The same is starting with the AF 15 and FF 1. Just not enough copies to go around and people setting on lower grades cause they can't afford the mid to upper grades anymore.

Ff1 is part of the big 3?

Folks can believe whatever they want and have their own personal preferences, but the hard data is indisputable.

-J.

The 'hard data' you refer to is as soft as a baby's behind. The majority of sales of major Marvel SA keys occur without being reported to GPA. Those reported to GPA don't provide information on upgrade potential, chipping, staining or writing.

But go ahead and knock yourself out disagreeing with one of the hobby's dealers with vast experience in pricing and selling SA Marvel megakeys. Or with the well known and highly experienced dealer who priced and sold my unchipped midgrade copies of AF15 (ow/w) and Hulk 1 (w) for prices that crushed the recorded GPA highs.

Gator is the man when it comes to af15s!

Unsubstantiated anecdotes!!!

Haven't you ever had a discussion with the "Dawg" before? That kind of malarkey means nothing. :baiting:

Folks can believe whatever they want and have their own personal preferences, but the hard data is indisputable.

-J.

The 'hard data' you refer to is as soft as a baby's behind. The majority of sales of major Marvel SA keys occur without being reported to GPA. Those reported to GPA don't provide information on upgrade potential, chipping, staining or writing.

But go ahead and knock yourself out disagreeing with one of the hobby's dealers with vast experience in pricing and selling SA Marvel megakeys. Or with the well known and highly experienced dealer who priced and sold my unchipped midgrade copies of AF15 (ow/w) and Hulk 1 (w) for prices that crushed the recorded GPA highs.

Gator is the man when it comes to af15s!

Gator is the man when it comes to AF15s and other mega-keys, full stop. Pretty amusing reading the exchange above but, for the record, Gator is correct.