• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

I've never listed a book at an auction site, but I can imagine a scenario in which it could be worthwhile to "buy back" your own book if the auction price is way, way too low.  But it does seem like that would be a pretty special case and would take a lot of careful consideration regarding your amount of personal patience.  It's hard for me to imagine being unhappy with a 69x return on an AF #15 rather than a 100x return, but perhaps I'm just more a "bird in the hand" type.  Plus I don't sell comics, so I'm not sure what I might accept as adequate.

If you buy back your own auction listing, do you have to actually pay the full price before the accounting process that returns you your "cut?"  If so, of course, you have to have $69,000 available which is probably another discussion entirely.

On 4/16/2022 at 2:01 PM, Aman619 said:

skimming the article I think this speaks only to whats going on in the art auctions.  Auction houses make deals with Guarantors before accepting some high priced items for auction. They guarantee a floor price, like a reserve, but the difference is the guarantor gets to buy it for that price. With a reserve it reverts back to consignor.  Seems that if the guarantee was 100M, the auction would add the commission to that and announce a sale of 120M.  But only the guaranteed amount (100M) would change hands.  So the public sale price must now be lowered to the 100M keeping the market value to just what was actually paid.  Im assuming the consignor gets less, after consignment fees are taken by the auction house.

I dont think we (yet) have this happening in comics auctions.

Agree with your point but want to point out that my purpose in sharing this article is to demonstrate that transparency in auctions will improve the process whether it’s for art, coins, comic books, or sports cards. The time has come for greater transparency for auctions.

On 4/16/2022 at 2:06 PM, Aman619 said:

As for consignors buying back their own books, since they'd only do it because they'd hoped for a higher sale price, and are willing to take it back for another day, they just do some calculations as to how much more $$ they want to be into a book for.

If you paid $1000 for your AF 15 20 years ago and GPA says you'll get 100K today, but the bidding is ending at 60K, (for whatever reason), would you mind paying another few 1000 to get the chance to sell it later for a higher price?  Now you're into a 100K book for 3K!  why not? 

No issue for me as to the intent of the consignor buying back their own book. I want to know that they are competing against me in the auction for their book - it should be transparent for all participants in the auction to know this prior to, during, and at the conclusion of the auction.

On 4/16/2022 at 6:57 PM, bronze johnny said:

Agree with your point but want to point out that my purpose in sharing this article is to demonstrate that transparency in auctions will improve the process whether it’s for art, coins, comic books, or sports cards. The time has come for greater transparency for auctions.

AH's are a private company, they don't have to disclose anything 

On 4/16/2022 at 10:33 PM, Kevin76 said:

AH's are a private company, they don't have to disclose anything 

Check out the private real estate companies that are disclosing information on who’s bidding on properties. Just because a company is private doesn’t mean it doesn’t have to do the right thing. 

On 4/16/2022 at 11:17 PM, bronze johnny said:

Check out the private real estate companies that are disclosing information on who’s bidding on properties. Just because a company is private doesn’t mean it doesn’t have to do the right thing. 

Good luck trying to get AH's to "do the right thing"  Bidders have every right to be anonymous if they choose to, privacy laws in place for a reason, They can do what they want, (as long as it's legal)  Don't like it?  Don't buy anything from an AH.   

Edited by Kevin76

On 4/17/2022 at 1:04 PM, Kevin76 said:

Good luck trying to get AH's to "do the right thing"  Bidders have every right to be anonymous if they choose to, privacy laws in place for a reason, They can do what they want, (as long as it's legal)  Don't like it?  Don't buy anything from an AH.   

Bidders also have every right to know if they’re bidding against entities with objectives to raise the stakes. Privacy laws only go so far so long as they’re not resulting in harm to others - in this case, the harm or advantage would be pecuniary. Don’t confuse “liking” with what is the right thing to do. If AHs don’t take the initiative, the government eventually will and I prefer that be avoided. One of the great things about CGC’s 3rd Party Grading is that it provides a greater check on the schemers and predators looking to rip people off. There’s greater confidence in the hobby. The schemers never go away, they just find new ways to take advantage of collectors- check out eBay auctions and you’ll see this. There’s no reason why greater transparency can’t be introduced to the process and it would be in the spirit of what 3rd Party Grading has accomplished in thwarting off the schemers from passing off restored books as unrestored. The hobby is better thanks to this but there’s always room for improvement so all can benefit.

On 4/17/2022 at 1:24 PM, bronze johnny said:

Bidders also have every right to know if they’re bidding against entities with objectives to raise the stakes. Privacy laws only go so far so long as they’re not resulting in harm to others - in this case, the harm or advantage would be pecuniary. Don’t confuse “liking” with what is the right thing to do. If AHs don’t take the initiative, the government eventually will and I prefer that be avoided. One of the great things about CGC’s 3rd Party Grading is that it provides a greater check on the schemers and predators looking to rip people off. There’s greater confidence in the hobby. The schemers never go away, they just find new ways to take advantage of collectors- check out eBay auctions and you’ll see this. There’s no reason why greater transparency can’t be introduced to the process and it would be in the spirit of what 3rd Party Grading has accomplished in thwarting off the schemers from passing off restored books as unrestored. The hobby is better thanks to this but there’s always room for improvement so all can benefit.

There's scammers in everything from your local car mechanic to your local restaurant. People just have to bid what they feel comfortable paying and for some it's higher than market. I don't still don't see how knowing who each and every bidder is going to help the hobby, would want your real name listed on everything you've bid on?  I know I wouldn't. I wouldn't care who's bidding on what as long as the sale goes through and it's legit. You talk of "fair price"  since we are in an AF 15 thread, you still haven't answered my question of what's a fair price for an AF 15 9.6 ?    

On 4/17/2022 at 3:39 PM, Tbone911t said:

Still have the 3.5, sold the 2.0 

AFX2.jpg

We need transparency otherwise the sale isn't legit. Price,(hopefully a fair price) and name of buyer needs to be posted as well as sales receipts and what method the buyer used to pay.    :roflmao::kidaround:

On 4/17/2022 at 3:08 PM, Kevin76 said:

There's scammers in everything from your local car mechanic to your local restaurant. People just have to bid what they feel comfortable paying and for some it's higher than market. I don't still don't see how knowing who each and every bidder is going to help the hobby, would want your real name listed on everything you've bid on?  I know I wouldn't. I wouldn't care who's bidding on what as long as the sale goes through and it's legit. You talk of "fair price"  since we are in an AF 15 thread, you still haven't answered my question of what's a fair price for an AF 15 9.6 ?    

Go back and re-read what I wrote. I’m not talking about knowing all the bidders in an auction. I was specific as to which need to be identified. Please don’t include areas that are already regulated like car mechanics. I recently saw one lose their license because they were scheming and overcharging customers. Please stick to my point. And in answer to your question, a fair price is one where the end result isn’t influenced by shilling- or is that something you still want to defend?

On 4/17/2022 at 3:50 PM, Kevin76 said:

We need transparency otherwise the sale isn't legit. Price,(hopefully a fair price) and name of buyer needs to be posted as well as sales receipts and what method the buyer used to pay.    :roflmao::kidaround:

Keep twisting my point. This is a great example of misconstruing positions on forums(thumbsu

Edited by bronze johnny

On 4/17/2022 at 7:42 PM, Kevin76 said:

You should have been here 20 years ago, you would have loved it  

I’ve been here almost 20 years and have seen it all. Let’s just agree that we disagree and end it there (thumbsu