• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2022 at 8:37 PM, MattTheDuck said:

A 3.0 closed at CL today at $48,000, so a "bargain."

Yes it was definitely several thousand cheaper but if the 3.0 had identical page quality and no marvel chipping as the 2.5, I'm pretty certain the 3.0 would've closed for more than $48,000.

On another note the 2.5 possibly could've closed yet higher if not for the tape on the interior cover and interior.

Edited by Qtr milerocket

On 4/25/2022 at 9:28 PM, ernster said:

That's my copy that just sold on ComicLink. I thought it would go little higher, but the slight chipping and the page quality hurt the finally bid price.

Just for a reference, I purchased the book on the boards in 2014 for $8200. I'm officially out of the club, what's crazy is that I bought two AF 15's here. 

Sorry it didn't go higher, but happy for the huge profit you made.

On 4/25/2022 at 9:28 PM, ernster said:

That's my copy that just sold on ComicLink. I thought it would go little higher, but the slight chipping and the page quality hurt the finally bid price.

Just for a reference, I purchased the book on the boards in 2014 for $8200. I'm officially out of the club, what's crazy is that I bought two AF 15's here. 

Congrats a very solid copy and a great return, almost six-fold in 8 years.

I am interested to see how these upcoming auctions price out, however for me personally this was the most valuable data point. A recent sale for a restored signature series (a combo that rarely comes up and doesn't have the best price history to work with).

This one has the exact same work done as another copy my friend owns (Slight A) and the exact same PQ, so what I can gather from this is a Stan Lee sig can help offset the hit the book's price traditionally takes from minor restoration - so a similar value to its universal equivalent is a good starting point (1.5 Universal last sold for $22,800). Obviously this math falls apart with higher grade books (and worse levels of restoration like trimming or extensive), but my interest is mainly with the absolute low end "garbage" copy spectrum for all these keys :)

1025307303_ScreenShot2022-05-03at1_14_03PM.thumb.png.1c19d8cf7b78baa57f12c55618826fe7.png

Edited by Sauce Dog

it's back. the 5.5 white page copy with a weird tear looking thing on the right side that sold for a record 120k in january on heritage is coming up again for auction next week in their weekly auction. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-fn-55-white-pages/p/122221-1028.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

interesting that they are not saving it for their june signature auction. also interesting to see it being flipped again so soon. 

i predict sale price will be less than it was in january. 

af15sale.jpg

On 5/14/2022 at 1:00 PM, alexgross.com said:

it's back. the 5.5 white page copy with a weird tear looking thing on the right side that sold for a record 120k in january on heritage is coming up again for auction next week in their weekly auction. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-fn-55-white-pages/p/122221-1028.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

interesting that they are not saving it for their june signature auction. also interesting to see it being flipped again so soon. 

i predict sale price will be less than it was in january. 

af15sale.jpg

Looks like color touch got removed. Yes it seems a curious choice to sell this in the weekly auction, but it’ll stand out more than it would in a signature auction. And the Magic 8 Ball agrees with you: it’ll go for less

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 5/20/2022 at 9:58 PM, Dressler Machine said:

About to send my Amazing Fantasy #15 to be graded. I bought it around 1990 from a guy who I wanted to buy an Amazing Spider-Man 300 from. He said he was willing to give up this book as well. I've had it in a lockbox for the last 20+ years and just looked at it again recently. I've been mostly out of the hobby for a while, just picking up the occasional book to read. Thought it was time to see what it was worth. I was shocked to see the prices, even for a book like mine that isn't in the best of condition. I'm looking forward to seeing the grade it gets and then deciding what to do with it. The allure of owning it has started to fade.

IMG-4680.jpg

IMG-4681.jpg

It presents well for the grade. Congrats and good luck with the grading process! 

On 5/21/2022 at 8:40 AM, gadzukes said:

It's probably a $32k - $36k comic now.  By any chance do you remember what you paid in 1990?  Probably less than $1000

I paid $200, which was a ton of money for me. I was getting paid $3.35 an hour at a drug store while in high school. I think I spent $225 that day and got this, ASM #298 and #300, both of which I sold years ago.

On 5/21/2022 at 8:53 AM, Dressler Machine said:

I paid $200, which was a ton of money for me. I was getting paid $3.35 an hour at a drug store while in high school. I think I spent $225 that day and got this, ASM #298 and #300, both of which I sold years ago.

Nice... great investment .... Aren't you happy that you held onto it for the long run and didn't let it go when you sold the ASMs?

On 5/14/2022 at 11:10 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Looks like color touch got removed. Yes it seems a curious choice to sell this in the weekly auction, but it’ll stand out more than it would in a signature auction. And the Magic 8 Ball agrees with you: it’ll go for less

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-fn-55-white-pages/a/122221-17038.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

well, already at 111k. either someone doesn't care about presentation, or this might be one of halperin's own books that he allegedly bids on in his own auctions to ensure it does not sell for less than before. 

if that is color touch removal, i honestly don't see how it does not qualify as restoration. it's clearly more than just scraping off some pigment. it totally makes an unsightly mark THAT WAS NOT THERE ORIGINALLY and affects an area well over one inch long. i smell some shenanigans on this book. 

On 5/21/2022 at 7:04 AM, alexgross.com said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-fn-55-white-pages/a/122221-17038.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus

well, already at 111k. either someone doesn't care about presentation, or this might be one of halperin's own books that he allegedly bids on in his own auctions to ensure it does not sell for less than before. 

if that is color touch removal, i honestly don't see how it does not qualify as restoration. it's clearly more than just scraping off some pigment. it totally makes an unsightly mark THAT WAS NOT THERE ORIGINALLY and affects an area well over one inch long. i smell some shenanigans on this book. 

Sure looks like a tear was sealed there to me, omitting that area looks like a sharp 5.5, but personally I could not own this book with that defect.

And I would wager a guess that someone got a little aggressive with the cleaning based on the grader notes, honestly I wish CPR was not a thing .....

I would suspect the White pages (lightening perhaps) fetch a premium especially with Halperin involved....as they are tough to find. The last high grade copy I saw was 20+ years ago and Geppi outbid me, pretty tough competitor at the time.

Title
Amazing Fantasy
Issue
Issue Date
8/62
Issue Year
Publisher
Marvel Comics
Grade
Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date