• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

I am well aware it is a 0.5, and marked restored (cover trimmed), but I get to join the club. The comic is at least complete. Best thing yet I won it in a mystery box contest!!!!

FB_IMG_1443451460919_zps2mm9jwei.jpg

Best mystery box win ever!!!

+1 - let's hear the story.

I am well aware it is a 0.5, and marked restored (cover trimmed), but I get to join the club. The comic is at least complete. Best thing yet I won it in a mystery box contest!!!!

The story is I saw one of those mystery box contests show up on my Facebook feed. Initially, I did not do it, as I am 100% convinced that this stuff is fraudulent. Funny thing, I still am. So totally ignoring my best instincts, I buy two boxes at $99 each, which are guaranteed to contain 5 Silver or Bronze age Spider-Man comics per box, with AF 15 listed as the grand prize, and Amazing Spider-Man 1 as second place. The boxes were limited to 999 of them. The contests ends and the boxes do not ship on time. I contact the company running the contest, and am given the option to cancel my entry, again against my better judgment I do not. About 1 week later I get a priority package containing 10 Bronze age mixed title Spider-Man comics worth maybe $50 on a good day, with this slab tucked between them.

I have never won anything except maybe 5 bucks on a scratch off ticket before, and think I just used up all of my winners luck this time around.

Edited by drotto

You got lucky even after reading your story I would never buy anything like that (could simply not trust them)!!

I am 100% with you and still think it is a scam!!! This book is worth $4000 to $5000, ASM 1 that they would give away I am saying is in the $1000 to $2000 range. So each box then contains $25 to maybe $100 worth of books. So being very generous he "sells" 35k worth of comics and brings in 99k assuming all the boxes sold. The company running this makes out like a bandit.

Congrats....because now you own the most important silver age comic ever made and the 3rd most important comic of all time just behind Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27.

Are you planning on keeping it or selling it? I would keep it....it will only continue to rise in value!! And if ever you want a non restored copy now you can sell this one to help you finance it (if ever that is your goal at least you will have a good size down payment if you ever want to get a cgc 0.5 or a cgc 1.0 that is non restored).

Edited by Hulk1962

The story is I saw one of those mystery box contests show up on my Facebook feed. Initially, I did not do it, as I am 100% convinced that this stuff is fraudulent. Funny thing, I still am. So totally ignoring my best instincts, I buy two boxes at $99 each, which are guaranteed to contain 5 Silver or Bronze age Spider-Man comics per box, with AF 15 listed as the grand prize, and Amazing Spider-Man 1 as second place. The boxes were limited to 999 of them. The contests ends and the boxes do not ship on time. I contact the company running the contest, and am given the option to cancel my entry, again against my better judgment I do not. About 1 week later I get a priority package containing 10 Bronze age mixed title Spider-Man comics worth maybe $50 on a good day, with this slab tucked between them.

I have never won anything except maybe 5 bucks on a scratch off ticket before, and think I just used up all of my winners luck this time around.

Wow congrats on winning the grand prize of the mystery box contest! I think I know where you purchased your mystery boxes from because I posted all,about it in the general section. Like most, I thought it was a scam and that no one would pull it out of any of the boxes. I guess we were wrong. Same dealer is still doing mystery boxes as we speak.

Noob here. I guess buying a raw restored copy is okay? Anyone know now to grade one?

You can go here Please Grade Me section and make a post with your book. List down all the issues, add some pics and hopefully people will give an estimated grade. Lots of things to look at with a resto copy so take the grade with a grain of salt.

This is amazing. Thanks for sharing the story. :headbang: