• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Showcase Collecting Thread
5 5

944 posts in this topic

Waiting on another cheap-thrill book I snagged off eBay, which I'll post as soon as I get it and scan it. There's very little "cheap" books in the showcase run, especially if you're particular about the grade (I like to shoot for a 6 for earlier keys and 7 +/- for everything else. That keeps the prices under the stratosphere for the most part. In fact some books are so not appreciated in these middle-grades that I can (usually) buy them for a pretty reasonable price.

I was thinking, back when I collected runs of DC (and Marvel too) I only ever bothered to acquire the 3 Showcases the character was introduce in, and I kept those issues with the individual sets. it's very challenging to complete a run of just Showcases. And I though, it's all downhill once I get the key appearances (4,, 6, 8, 9, 17, 22, 34 and 30. Well, it's not that simple, but it is also very rewarding since there is so much variety in the series. Even with the third-string characters like Space Ranger, Rip Hunter, Cave Carson and Tommy Tomorrow, so many of them have delightful covers. :blahblah:

:news: I copied this quote off a old Heritage auction listing of Showcase #1 - I just thought folks here might find it interesting.

"A note to readers inside the issue calls this "the most novel idea ever seen in the comic book publishing industry" and implies that the ideas for the series all came from young readers' letters. Editor Julius Schwartz once explained the business perspective: "The principle behind Showcase was simple. In those days, all magazines were sold on the newsstands and it took several months before you found out whether a magazine was a success or not. If it was a failure, you'd lose a lot of money. So the idea was to try new features in Showcase, wait five or six months to see how it was doing, and if it sold well, we could put it out again in its own title." Note that no issue number appears on the cover, as newsdealers were skeptical of a #1 issue then, in stark contrast to the present day. John Prentice is the issue's cover artist."

My copy of SC #1 is on the first page and post of this thread.

Very cool info, Boba. I feel the same as you about the set. It truly is an eclectic mix of stories and art from issue 1 to 104. I am thoroughly enjoying the pursuit. One day, when I finish the set, I plan on doing a group shot. I know it's gonna take a while, since some of the books rarely come into the light above 5.0 grade.

Well a little different kind of post, but Showcase related just the same.

Did anyone spot the Showcase #17 on eBay described as a 4.5/5.0, Page Quality: Off White/White tracking at $1625 with 2 days left? :o:o:o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390816257284?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just sold a graded copy in 5.0 CR/OW for $600 on C-link :sick:

What the heck is so special about this book that it's gotten bids in many multiples of guide value - 4.0 $408 6.0 $612.

What am I missing here? Did they announce an Adam Strange movie last night?

Lots of creases to attempt to press out and pray would be my best guess. The bad thing is the pictures given are not that good to determine the possibilities of upgrading the book's condition prior to CGC. (shrug)

Lots of creases to attempt to press out and pray would be my best guess. The bad thing is the pictures given are not that good to determine the possibilities of upgrading the book's condition prior to CGC. (shrug)

I've owned a few of these over the past 3 years, and IMHO that book is no better than a 5.0.

You could probably buy a graded CGC 6.5 for that money.

But hey, more power to the seller I guess (shrug)

Waiting on another cheap-thrill book I snagged off eBay, which I'll post as soon as I get it and scan it. There's very little "cheap" books in the showcase run, especially if you're particular about the grade (I like to shoot for a 6 for earlier keys and 7 +/- for everything else. That keeps the prices under the stratosphere for the most part. In fact some books are so not appreciated in these middle-grades that I can (usually) buy them for a pretty reasonable price.

Just got this in: :news:

SC42c_zps2a988b45.jpg

:luhv:

Did anyone spot the Showcase #17 on eBay described as a 4.5/5.0, Page Quality: Off White/White tracking at $1625 with 2 days left? :o:o:o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390816257284?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What the heck is so special about this book that it's gotten bids in many multiples of guide value - 4.0 $408 6.0 $612.

Take a look at the bidding history.

Take a look at the bidding history.

That is odd. Almost looks like a hijacked account, or drunk bidding. :facepalm:

Filled a few holes in my set - the 1st Space Ranger and 1st Rip Hunter Time Master and the only issue with Dr No!

Also added one more cheap thrill Tommy Tomorow!

SC20c_zps5b849626.jpg

SC15c_zps28e5f250.jpg

SC43c_zps28e05978.jpg

SC44c_zps60207986.jpg

:cloud9:

Edited by Boba

That 20 is a tough one in decent grade. Great looking copy.

Filled a few holes in my set - the 1st Space Ranger and 1st Rip Hunter Time Master and the only issue with Dr No! Also added one more cheap thrill Tommy Tomorow!

SC20c_zps86e62c74.jpeg

I have a few raw Showcases to get graded and hopes I'll snag one or two (graded) more and soon be over the halfway hump myself. Sure is quiet around these parts hm