• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Showcase Collecting Thread
5 5

944 posts in this topic

Bumping this with a little story from my LCS.

Today, as I was on my way out the door, the owner asked me to go thru a collection he was considering. I'm WAY more into silver age than he, so I'm pulling out the keys while he's looking stuff up.

Here's a Superboy #68 (1st Bizarro), there's a Green Lantern #40...

and oh my, here's a Showcase #9! A solid VG from an original owner collection.

It was really fun, but I had to get going before I found out what he'll charge for it, or if he'll even buy the collection. I'll update when I know.

Just received this one :

DSCN7852_zps915bee12.jpg

There was several showcase #15 for sale lately, mainly with cream to off-white pages.

This one is a correct mid-grade copy, a lot of creases on the cover though.

I am not very fan of Bob Brown art but Space Rangers issues are OK.

Just received this one :

DSCN7852_zps915bee12.jpg

There was several showcase #15 for sale lately, mainly with cream to off-white pages.

This one is a correct mid-grade copy, a lot of creases on the cover though.

I am not very fan of Bob Brown art but Space Rangers issues are OK.

That's a decent copy and I know what'cha mean, I got "the other" copy (just before this one was posted for sale). They're not easy to find in any decent grades - it was quite a surprise to see 2 in the same grade about a week or two apart.

I'm still hunting for a Showcase #16 - which is also hard to find in higher grades.

Some new acquisitions coming from various sources - I'll be posting these new puppies soon.

Keep em' coming (thumbs u

I am currently trying to list all the CGC pedigree Showcases.

Savannah is the easiest pedigree to track with more than 75 books listed over the web.

If you are interested in this list, don't hesitate to ask me !

I currently have 9 in my registry set.

BTW, I unobscurred my sets so if you want to check out the pedigree's I have in there feel free. Off the top of my head, I have a few Savannah's (4, 13 & 71), Rocky Mountain (36, 41) and a few Mohawks (37, 47, 48, 49, 51) and maybe more, I don't have time to look right now.

They're not easy to find in any decent grades - it was quite a surprise to see 2 in the same grade about a week or two apart.

I'm still hunting for a Showcase #16 - which is also hard to find in higher grades.

Oh I agree! The Showcase Space Ranger issues are absolutely brutal to find in high grade, partially because Space Ranger was/is not among DC's more popular series with collectors.

:(

Edited by Hepcat

So true. DC had this thing about pitting weird alien beasts against their heroes, Challengers, Batman and Superman family books were especially dreadful, but it permeated throughout so many of their titles. Someone started a thread about absurd DC monsters - it might have been you Hep hm

I have to admit though, I was very young and impressionable and eating it up, raised on a steady diet of 50's science fiction movies and TV shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone. I just loved reading that junk. Granted it doesn't hold up so well over time, and probably is the reason why Marvel captured the older high school and college age readers dealing with teenage angst and such.

I have to admit though, I was very young and impressionable and eating it up, raised on a steady diet of 50's science fiction movies and TV shows like The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone. I just loved reading that junk. Granted it doesn't hold up so well over time, and probably is the reason why Marvel captured the older high school and college age readers dealing with teenage angst and such.

Yes, and Marvel was also reeling in the younger reader who was still the bread and butter of the comic market by featuring punch-ups between everybody on every second page. That plus the fact that Stan Lee was drawing in youngsters by making it seem as if the reader was part of what was happening.

Here though are scans of a couple more of my Showcase comics:

008_zps2dff40fa.jpg

08-07-201165958PM.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

Just picked this up. A grail of sorts for me. If it wasn't for the Metal Men, I may not have ever taken up comics. I have never owned a copy of this book until now and this is one sweet copy; beautiful and amazing color strike.

:whee:

ym4luFx.jpg

Just picked this up. A grail of sorts for me. If it wasn't for the Metal Men, I may not have ever taken up comics. I have never owned a copy of this book until now and this is one sweet copy; beautiful and amazing color strike.

ym4luFx.jpg

Great book, great copy !!!! Congrats.

ym4luFx.jpg

Great book, great copy !!!! Congrats.

The image doesn't do it justice. It looks soooooo much better in person. Those scratches are on the CGC case and not on the book.

Now if they would just get on it and make a Metal Men movie.