• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Showcase Collecting Thread
5 5

944 posts in this topic

Right now there are 3 of the 6 registry copies of SC 34 in a 9.0 grade on Ebay. One of them is a fake listing, because I own this book. Buyer beware!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOWCASE-34-1961-CGC-VF-NM-9-0-WHITE-Pg-ORIGIN-SILVER-AGE-ATOM-JEAN-LORING-/390493541193?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5aeb3a9349

That's terrible. I see that seller, LewisWayneGallery, a lot. Are they not legit ?

Maybe it's another case of trying to manipulate GPA.

Edited by bomber-bob

Right now there are 3 of the 6 registry copies of SC 34 in a 9.0 grade on Ebay. One of them is a fake listing, because I own this book. Buyer beware!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOWCASE-34-1961-CGC-VF-NM-9-0-WHITE-Pg-ORIGIN-SILVER-AGE-ATOM-JEAN-LORING-/390493541193?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5aeb3a9349

Its getting worse out there, you wouldnt have though a scammer would have that much feedback :ohnoez:

I think they are owned by a principal of Heritage Galleries (Jim Halperin). Ironically I once had a conflict selling a book with the same certification number they had - It was an honest mistake (mine mostly) where I picked up the wrong scan and used it in the listing. Maybe it's something like this. They are pretty reputable I believe.

That's terrible. I see that seller, LewisWayneGallery, a lot. Are they not legit ?

There has to be some sort of left-hand-doesn't-know-what-the-right-hand-is-doing syndrome going on, since I have my copy registered with HA.

There has to be some sort of left-hand-doesn't-know-what-the-right-hand-is-doing syndrome going on, since I have my copy registered with HA.

I must be thick, let me see if I have this right, the book that is listed on eBay (link above) and is also registered (?) at HA, is the same book you have in your possession?

I was thinking, back when I collected runs of DC (and Marvel too) I only ever bothered to acquire the 3 Showcases the character was introduce in, and I kept those issues with the individual sets. it's very challenging to complete a run of just Showcases. And I though, it's all downhill once I get the key appearances (4,, 6, 8, 9, 17, 22, 34 and 30. Well, it's not that simple, but it is also very rewarding since there is so much variety in the series. Even with the third-string characters like Space Ranger, Rip Hunter, Cave Carson and Tommy Tomorrow, so many of them have delightful covers.

All very true!

:)

Well, white pages are popular lately, and all it takes is 2 or 3 people who need the book bidding to bid it up.

It's a hard enough book to justify paying a little more to snag if you need it. 2c

Conversely, I think I got the #9 cheap, but that may be because it came up around dinner hour on Friday night.

I love when that happens :grin: Lot's of things can effect the outcome of an auction.

That 9 was a beauty, but I dropped all of my cash on the 9.0 issue 6. I can't wait to get my hands on it in a few weeks when it arrives. Nothing like setting a GPA high to make the wallet a lot lighter.

Now for an entree from the raw bar :grin:

I just picked this nice raw copy of #21, sold by Metro as a 6.5. I think it's at least that.

The creases you see are the major flaws.

SC21raw_zps00fd63f6.jpg