• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
34 34

6,513 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2023 at 8:25 PM, Dr. Love said:

yeh, always liked this book a bunch.  Great cover by Alice Kirkpatrick.  There's a sole 7.5 in the census.

Here's the Crippen copy from 17 years ago.  My god has it been that long?  According to HA, I didn't bid on it, though for the life of me I can't figure out now why not.  A VF/NM that went for $41.

image.png.88cc4f4207965aae7da91b6aac1a9a7f.png

:whistle:

On 10/12/2023 at 10:37 PM, pmpknface said:

Just got a haul back from CGC, this is one of them.  Only 6 on the census so I guess it's in the rare category.  I dunno if I'll post them all here, but I will in the LB Cole thread as they are all his covers.  Here ya go:

CGC4331821-025_OBV.jpg

Killer. *prepares to wander over to the Cole thread*

I did find a copy of Romantic Hearts 9 (second series) at mycomicshop, 900 for a 3.0 with crayon, a little too rich for my blood.

I did take the opportunity to work with their cover image tho:

Romantic Hearts 09 (1954-11.Master) cover artist unknown (MCS Darwin Edit)

Edited by Darwination

On 10/13/2023 at 8:36 AM, Darwination said:

What's the deal with Harvey file copies?  Harvey romances are some of my faves, and I'm seeing a lot of high grade issues.  How many "file copies" are out there?  Did they have them for all the comics in all the genres?

Yep, most of them. Seems like a lot more Romance though. I had my pick of multiples of the horror books at SDCC one year. They all went within a couple hours. Wish I bought more…:sorry:

On 10/13/2023 at 8:36 AM, Darwination said:

What's the deal with Harvey file copies?  Harvey romances are some of my faves, and I'm seeing a lot of high grade issues.  How many "file copies" are out there?  Did they have them for all the comics in all the genres?

A warehouse load.  It's taken many many years for romance to appreciate to the point where it's become financially feasible to slab most of the 329 Harvey romance line and put them up for sale and make a profit.  

But that's where we're at.  Possibly. We'll see next week in CC's latest auction.

On 10/13/2023 at 1:48 PM, Dr. Love said:

A warehouse load.  It's taken many many years for romance to appreciate to the point where it's become financially feasible to slab most of the 329 Harvey romance line and put them up for sale and make a profit.  

But that's where we're at.  Possibly. We'll see next week in CC's latest auction.

There are little to no "keys" in there also.  There are a handful of better covers and the odd 'teen-age sex club' story, but for the most part they are pretty homogenized.  

On 10/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, Darwination said:

The Love Doctor probes his patients, digging into the mystery of their emotions.  A bit creepy how both the good doctor and the crying gal look right at the reader :o

So weird, you’re right on.  That kind of council would be illegal these days…