• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
34 34

6,513 posts in this topic

On 2/29/2024 at 9:13 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I don’t know for certain who painted what but I do know for certain I’m happy to have this one in my collection.  :x Alice gets the credit here.

IMG_6730.jpeg

Nice book!  I bought this raw off Metro's website for $93 in 2011, had it slabbed in 2019 and later sold it here on the boards

Edited by Heronext

Metro was picking up these Crippen lots from HA.  This came from a 21 book lot that sold in 2007 for $567.63.  No back cover scans, and the front scans had a max of three books laid over each other.  I always disliked how they did that for the group shots - still do.

The #31 was graded at VF+, but at the time I wasn't willing to gamble on how they would press out, see below.  Looks like pretty darn good!  Great copy of a beautiful Ace book.

image.png.9d4362f7b3290fd53d414a3abccd8639.png

On 3/3/2024 at 8:16 AM, Darwination said:

Screenshot(184).thumb.png.7ce2cfa33064b0998b6e591cbeccde4a.png

You don't have to thank me now, but a gentleman in Arizona is offering a straight up VG purple label at fire sale prices :whistle:

For that book, actually not as crazy as you might think

On 3/3/2024 at 8:48 AM, Heronext said:

Nice book!  I bought this raw off Metro's website for $93 in 2011, had it slabbed in 2019 and later sold it here on the boards

Was wondering how this one got away from me on the boards - shoulda known.  Rightly priced at the time.  You Brooklyn guys get the good stuff!

We dig the ultimate Pike black cover with stippling and cross hatch!  in '53 Pike and Hartley were going for the gold on their cover work big time.  Colletta the fast learner coming up from behind in the following year or two.

But neither Pike nor Hartley could keep up the same level of excellence on the interior work.  Infantino, on the other hand - absolutely masterful.  

On 3/3/2024 at 4:41 PM, Dr. Love said:

Here are the top 8 books from the HA 2/29-3/1/24 Golden Age Romance Featuring Fox Comics Showcase Auction:

3. Romantic Adventures #49 - one of the ACG "Fab Four", a perennial fan favorite.  As the highest graded copy and presenting nicely for the grade, it was certainly going to be one of the top highest hammers this time around.  

This one I bought from Joseph Koch Comics on eBay around 2002 for maybe $12-$20.  Slabbed it in 2014, sold it in 2020.  My baby is all grown up!

Edited by Heronext

On 3/4/2024 at 6:56 AM, Heronext said:

This one I bought from Koch Comics on eBay around 2002 for maybe $12-$20.  Slabbed it in 2014, sold it in 2020.  My baby is all grown up!

I thought I was bidding large for the My Romantic Advs 49 that closed last night on the Bay for  just under $400. :roflmao:

Somebody got a steal!

On 3/4/2024 at 7:59 AM, PopKulture said:

That thing is as faded as a “gray” Challengers of the Unknown number one. 

I’ve had my beater copy for fifty years. It’s one of four comics my grandma found in the attic of their old balloon-frame house that my aunt had read as a kid. No Marvel Mystery, no Captain America, not even Captain Marvel. The four books were the below Youthful Love Romances, a Love Romances 9 (photo cover), My Desire 31, and a very cool oddball, Jughead 1. My brother got first and second choice since he was older, and took the Youthful Love and naturally the Jughead. That left me with a beater Love Romances 9 and an equally compromised My Desire 31. I always maintained for decades later I should’ve at least gotten choices two and four…

I eventually conned him out of this one but he kept the Jughead. I can’t say I blame him.

F7E0DB92-329E-46E2-923C-9CF3DDAE7D54.jpeg

I agree. You should have at least gotton second choice…:sumo:

I got a few of my dad’s Big Little Books and his Buck Rogers gun from my grandmother. My brother didn’t care he got his 22 rifle.

On 3/4/2024 at 8:41 AM, Robot Man said:

I thought I was bidding large for the My Romantic Advs 49 that closed last night on the Bay for  just under $400. :roflmao:

Somebody got a steal!

Yeh, two other boardies were in on that one as well, both putting the value at around $250.

On 3/4/2024 at 8:51 AM, Dr. Love said:

Yeh, two other boardies were in on that one as well, both putting the value at around $250.

I pony upped a bit more thinking I might have a chance but no dice. It is my least favorite of the “big four”. I already have the other 3. But I still want a copy. Maybe not if the HA copy is the new bench mark…

On 3/4/2024 at 12:07 PM, Robot Man said:

I bought this nice 1959 Gretsch guitar about a year ago for about 2/3rds the price of that HA copy.

I am MUCH happier with this than another comic…

IMG_8341.jpeg

No Country Gentleman should be without one :shy: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/4/2024 at 9:16 AM, jimjum12 said:

No Country Gentleman should be without one :shy: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Indeed! Although I wouldn’t call myself a “gentleman” :roflmao:

I rigged it up with some fat round wound strings to give that cool Scotty Moore punch sound. Hasn’t been in the case since I got it.