• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
34 34

6,513 posts in this topic

Fantastic, Bob.  It's really, really hard to find love pulps in anywhere near this nice of shape.  Rangeland Romances was a great long running romance title with many fantastically playful covers that celebrate young love in simple storytelling scenes between cowboys and cowgirls. Unlike Ranch Romances, it eschewed action scenes on the covers for straight romance :x   

Whose copy was this?

On 5/8/2024 at 9:35 AM, Darwination said:

Fantastic, Bob.  It's really, really hard to find love pulps in anywhere near this nice of shape.  Rangeland Romances was a great long running romance title with many fantastically playful covers that celebrate young love in simple storytelling scenes between cowboys and cowgirls. Unlike Ranch Romances, it eschewed action scenes on the covers for straight romance :x   

Whose copy was this?

I got it many years ago from David T Alexander. He stated it was from the estate of Art Lawson who wrote a story inside. He had a bunch from his estate but I only got this one. All looked like unread file copies. Let’s just say “I fell in love” with the cover. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought more…

Saw a video somewhere in which Matt Nelson said CGC has space for 3 lines of info on the right side of their labels, and that they're open to input for appropriate info to be included for various books.

Since CGC is new to grading pulps, their database of label info is small. Did you request that Rangeland Romances #78 be designated as a Halloween cover on the label? They may have not entered that info into their database yet.

On 5/8/2024 at 3:01 PM, MBFan said:

Saw a video somewhere in which Matt Nelson said CGC has space for 3 lines of info on the right side of their labels, and that they're open to input for appropriate info to be included for various books.

Since CGC is new to grading pulps, their database of label info is small. Did you request that Rangeland Romances #78 be designated as a Halloween cover on the label? They may have not entered that info into their database yet.

Yes, wrote it on the submission slip as instructed at the show. I also to have it noted that it was a file copy from the estate of Art Lawson and supplied a copy of the paperwork when I bought it. Either they wouldn’t accept David T Alexander’s word for it or didn’t feel Lawson was worthy. I felt it was a piece of pulp history and have slipped my copy in the bag with the pulp for posterity. Pretty sure there are very few Halloween cover collectors and even fewer who know who Art Lawson is or care. 

On 5/8/2024 at 7:30 PM, Robot Man said:

Yes, wrote it on the submission slip as instructed at the show. I also to have it noted that it was a file copy from the estate of Art Lawson and supplied a copy of the paperwork when I bought it. Either they wouldn’t accept David T Alexander’s word for it or didn’t feel Lawson was worthy. I felt it was a piece of pulp history and have slipped my copy in the bag with the pulp for posterity. Pretty sure there are very few Halloween cover collectors and even fewer who know who Art Lawson is or care. 

Designating it as a Halloween cover should be a no brainer, especially since you gave them the note.

I have a few books I've been wanting to submit to CGC, but before I do, Customer Service will need to promise that the proper notes will be on the label. 

On 5/8/2024 at 9:48 PM, MBFan said:

Designating it as a Halloween cover should be a no brainer, especially since you gave them the note.

I have a few books I've been wanting to submit to CGC, but before I do, Customer Service will need to promise that the proper notes will be on the label. 

Well, I guess it is pretty obvious that it is a Halloween cover…:roflmao:but since it is and I specificaly requested and I paid for the service, I was a little disappointed.

Customer Service has nothing to do with it. This comes from someone further down the food chain.

My books are special to me. I buy them for a reason. Unless I am incorrect, I feel I should be entitled to have what I want on them since I am paying for the service.

On 5/8/2024 at 6:59 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

These Australian reprints are in pretty rough shape, but they were a lot cheaper than an airline ticket to Australia to look for better copies.

MyOwnRomanceAustralia20A.jpg

MyOwnRomanceAustralia22A.jpg

I have been to Australia many times. Like anywhere I go, I always look for junk. I have only found old comics once. I believe they are as hard to find in the wild as old US comics are here. 

On 5/9/2024 at 7:28 AM, Robot Man said:

Well, I guess it is pretty obvious that it is a Halloween cover…:roflmao:but since it is and I specificaly requested and I paid for the service, I was a little disappointed.

Customer Service has nothing to do with it. This comes from someone further down the food chain.

My books are special to me. I buy them for a reason. Unless I am incorrect, I feel I should be entitled to have what I want on them since I am paying for the service.

What service is that Bob?

On 5/9/2024 at 11:02 AM, Robot Man said:

and accurately noting all pertinent information on the label. 

This is where the troubles began. The space and time limitations impede the implementation of that, in the fullest sense. With a quick check of eBay, I found only one CGC Slab of a Halloween cover with the notation on the slab, a GA issue of Flash Comics. It's always been my understanding that additional label graphics cost extra if allowed at all. You could lobby them, they are willing to change their minds on occasion. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2024 at 9:51 PM, Darwination said:

Have you ever managed to identify the artist or artists on some of these Aces?  A lot of them (if not all) are reprints of love pulp covers.  It tends to be one of the hardest areas in pulp to get good artist IDs in, but once you get a name to put with a style, it's very doable. A couple from your post on the last page:

Ten-StoryLoveMagazine1948-02cover.jpg.cb3afe2c5c234f396b60dab1e5db3744.jpg

Ten-StoryLoveMagazine1949-10cover.jpg.60d3bf44407f5e38f0d92c8699f6d401.jpg

It looks to me like the artist on these two was painting for Ace for a good number of years.

Or the one above is from the pulps, too, April of the same year:

LoveFictionMagazine1948-04cover.jpg.f7754b80c081989dde338128147b01a2.jpg

Alec Redmond was there in early 40s and Bradshaw Crandell was there for at least a bit in the mid-40s.  Crandell would sign his name to Cosmopolitan (and most things very readily) but apparently wasn't signing any love pulp (as is often the case when slick level artists would "slum" it down in the pulps).  With the rise of the photo cover and decline of glamour paintings on Hollywood mags and the like it's not too surprising that Crandell would do a little pulp work.

VarietyLoveStories1944-04coverBradshawCrandell.jpg.0b7575070a13addedf6e9fbe944a2fd9.jpg

Heritage is a little off on the date of the original art:

VarietyLoveStories1944-04coverBradshawCrandellOriginalArt.thumb.jpg.d484aaeaac90246b5b2801e9458993eb.jpg

His mid 40s style is line with some of the Ace mid-40s covers:

Bradshaw Crandell Women's Army Corps Poster 1943.jpg

I'll get with a lady friend that does work on the romance pulps and see if she knows anything about the Ace artists.  I'd definitely like to know who did the Ten-Story Love Magazine1948-02 /Complete Love comic from 1951-05 Dr. Love has in his avatar.

I’m still searching for the cover credits to the painting for this Ten-Story Love pulp (Feb, 1948).

Thanks to @Ameri for the comic book swipe reference from June, 1951…and for this reference which may strongly suggest Alice Kirkpatrick as the artist in question 🤔

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/alice-kirkpatricks-so-good-its-discouraging-ace-romance-at-auction/

IMG_3499.jpeg

IMG_7017.jpeg

Edited by Primetime