• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of Comic Books Seen in Movies and Television Shows
11 11

571 posts in this topic

I was just watching episode nine of I Love Lucy's first season (1951) when I spotted some comics in a newsstand behind Ricky Ricardo. There are two copies of Batman #69, 2 copies of Wonder Woman #52, 4 copies of a title starting with "DA", four or five copies of a title beginning with an "R", and one copy of Six-Gun Heroes #13.

This is the first time I've been able to identify golden age comics in a TV show. It would be fun to see who can find the highest value comics in a single frame of a TV series. In this case, I think it would be the Batman #69's, worth a couple thousand each.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:06 AM, paqart said:

I was just watching episode nine of I Love Lucy's first season (1951) when I spotted some comics in a newsstand behind Ricky Ricardo. There are two copies of Batman #69, 2 copies of Wonder Woman #52, 4 copies of a title starting with "DA", four or five copies of a title beginning with an "R", and one copy of Six-Gun Heroes #13.

This is the first time I've been able to identify golden age comics in a TV show. It would be fun to see who can find the highest value comics in a single frame of a TV series. In this case, I think it would be the Batman #69's, worth a couple thousand each.

Highest value in a TV series has to be AF15 in Naked City.
Amazing Fantasy #15 Caught on Tape, 1962 | 2 Warps to Neptune

On 3/7/2022 at 2:42 PM, buttock said:

Amazing Stories "Gather ye Acorns" where Mark Hamill drags his childhood goods around until he's old and then gets rich.  Has a scene with Marvel 1, Action 1, Tec 27.  Starts around 24:50 and this is the worst possible video. 

I've seen that episode before but I never noticed that Mark Hamill's character is named "Jonathan Quick" or Johnny Quick.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:50 PM, ashsaytr said:

The-Shawshank-Redemption-Jughead-comics-

On 3/5/2014 at 5:14 PM, kav said:

you guys overlooked the obvious-Cap #1 in captain america movie...

Not sure that counts because it is almost certainly a reproduction. My opinion on this subject is that finding these comics in movies and TV is only fun when it is not a reproduction. On that basis, the Action #1 in "The Accountant" doesn't count either.

On 3/17/2022 at 2:11 PM, 01TheDude said:

from  the new movie Belfast - about the Troubles:

Thor 139 - can't quite make out whether it is an English pence copy or American 12 center

image.thumb.png.319f7b21330d95bfa4199a48150a50f7.png

at the 1:13:36 mark

493894579_Thor139-a.thumb.jpg.a9fb3ca8630a3921c7e0d5968c65b7be.jpg

22381706508.jpg

Kenneth Branagh, the writer-director of "Belfast" just won the Academy Award for original screenplay which was a semi-autobiographical memoir of his childhood. 

As to whether he actually had that particular Thor comic as a child or not, he likely selected it for use in "Belfast" as a nod to his own career as a popular director whose credits include the very first Thor movie from 2011.

On 4/14/2022 at 1:06 PM, David Buck said:

Another British Movie courtesy of Talking Pictures TV - Strictly for The Birds (1963) 

and featuring another style of Thorpe & Porter stand  - paging Get Marwood & I 

two DC's on view - Batman 150 cover date October 1962 would be appropriate for when it would have been shot, but the All-American Men Of War 77 is from February 1960

vlcsnap-2022-04-14-12h47m28s358.png

Cor, look at that. I think I have a scan of that magazine - GJ I think - with a Teepee stamp. Will dig it out later and see how the dates align :)