• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm not sure television has ever been better

157 posts in this topic

It's really no wonder kids sit on their cell phones/tablets all night, jabbering, playing games and sharing Vine videos.

It's like comics, TV has gone 100% adult-oriented, and in a very short time, network and cable TV will become inconsequential, as they have lost this generation.

It seems like what is considered "great" TV these days has to be focused on stories about horrific death, serial killers, terrorists, or other similarly ugly topics. I said the following in another thread, I know we are not going to go back to the days of Bewitched and Dragnet, but it would be nice to have more of a balance

Doesn't network-tv still do those? Like Bewitched, don't they still do 'story book' type series with princesses, witches and light paranormal fare? And Dragnet, man, seems like it never went away, the latest incarnation being Almost Human.

Doesn't network-tv still do those? Like Bewitched, don't they still do 'story book' type series with princesses, witches and light paranormal fare?

When was the last time you watched network TV? There are no primetime family shows that I know of, with maybe the closest being The Simpsons.

Just this week:

This week's episode of SHIELD was one of the best yet, it's becoming one of my favorite shows.

The Arrow just keeps getting better and better.

Walking Dead...I hope this show goes on for years.

Vikings on History Channel was excellent this week, this is going to be an exiting season.

The Americans on FX, great cold war drama.

True Detectives on HBO is the best show you're not watching (if you're not watching it that is lol)

Lastly, I almost gave up on Revolution early this season, and I am glad I didn't.

You neglected to mention Hannibal (the best crime drama/thriller I've ever seen!) & Justify (wonderfully original characters). Throw in a little The Goldbergs for some levity.

It seems like what is considered "great" TV these days has to be focused on stories about horrific death, serial killers, terrorists, or other similarly ugly topics. I said the following in another thread, I know we are not going to go back to the days of Bewitched and Dragnet, but it would be nice to have more of a balance

That is pretty much what our world is about - but these shows create interesting and compelling characters that are able to overcome those horrific topics. (well, maybe not Dexter) Yes, it's dark, but it's reflective of where our society is at.

That is pretty much what our world is about - but these shows create interesting and compelling characters that are able to overcome those horrific topics. (well, maybe not Dexter) Yes, it's dark, but it's reflective of where our society is at.

So if that's where our society is, do we also want TV shows about it? If it's in our face on the evening news do we also want it in our faces in our entertainment?

Given what's on TV these days, I guess we do.

Doesn't network-tv still do those? Like Bewitched, don't they still do 'story book' type series with princesses, witches and light paranormal fare? And Dragnet, man, seems like it never went away, the latest incarnation being Almost Human.

there are at least 3-4 "Fables" type ripoff shows either on or slated for the fall.

Joe Friday was an android? :o

So if that's where our society is, do we also want TV shows about it? If it's in our face on the evening news do we also want it in our faces in our entertainment?

Given what's on TV these days, I guess we do.

There are good comedy shows on now. Modern Family is hilarious. Arrested Development was great as well.

Just this week:

This week's episode of SHIELD was one of the best yet, it's becoming one of my favorite shows.

The Arrow just keeps getting better and better.

Walking Dead...I hope this show goes on for years.

Vikings on History Channel was excellent this week, this is going to be an exiting season.

The Americans on FX, great cold war drama.

True Detectives on HBO is the best show you're not watching (if you're not watching it that is lol)

Lastly, I almost gave up on Revolution early this season, and I am glad I didn't.

And Hannibal has started again.

If you're not watching Orphan Black, what the hell are you thinking?

OrphanBlackClones_zps54e697e0.jpg

Im thinking it doesnt premier season 2 until April?

I'll start watching it then. Season 1 was awesome.

Oh, I know it's not on now. Just letting people know that they should check out season one. Great show, and I think she's the best actress on TV.

Doesn't network-tv still do those? Like Bewitched, don't they still do 'story book' type series with princesses, witches and light paranormal fare?

When was the last time you watched network TV? There are no primetime family shows that I know of, with maybe the closest being The Simpsons.

Most of those shows have moved to Disney Channel, or the like. My kids are 4 & 7 and they love the stuff like Austin & Ally, Jessie, Kickin It (go figure), and Good Luck Charlie.

Most of those shows have moved to Disney Channel, or the like. My kids are 4 & 7 and they love the stuff like Austin & Ally, Jessie, Kickin It (go figure), and Good Luck Charlie.

My son will be 7 in a few months and he loves Handy Manny, Chuggington, Legends of Chima, and several others. He even sat through Downton Abbey with my wife, occasionally edited with the fast forward button.

That's what my daughter (just turned 6) watches.

I was a little late to the True Detective party. Finally caught up last weekend. HOLY mess. It's amazing. I cannot say enough good things about McConaughey. It's hard to believe this is the same guy that was starring in "Failure to Launch" eight years ago.

I've just watched the first 2 episodes after hearing the reviews and it's got some good things going for it like the acting, characterization and cinematography, but it has to be the slowest thing I've ever seen.

There were 30 seconds of serial killer and 2 hours of them talking....

MY Best of TV (isnt this all gonna get moved to the WC soon?)

[on or coming back]

1. Mad Men (hiatus)

2. The Americans (on)

3. Masters of Sex (hiatus)

4. Hannibal (on)

5. Justified (on)

6. Orphan Black (hiatus)

7. Parks & Recreation (on)

8. Community (on)

9. Key & Peele (hiatus)

10. Bob's Burgers (on)

11. Walking Dead (on)

12. Elementary (on)

Note: I dont have HBO so no Game of Thrones, no Girls. I dont have netflix so no Orange is the New Black

I was a little late to the True Detective party. Finally caught up last weekend. HOLY mess. It's amazing. I cannot say enough good things about McConaughey. It's hard to believe this is the same guy that was starring in "Failure to Launch" eight years ago.

I've just watched the first 2 episodes after hearing the reviews and it's got some good things going for it like the acting, characterization and cinematography, but it has to be the slowest thing I've ever seen.

There were 30 seconds of serial killer and 2 hours of them talking....

Keep watching.