• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

Joey, why not share this little bit of information with people?

I have in the past. They all came back and screwed me over with it. So I no longer do. I applaud you for sharing what you did. It will help keep a lot of books from being ruined. Unlike some, you did not put the cart before the horse. But we all know the devil is in the details.

What I would like to see from Larry is a full picture of one of the books he presses a day after it is taken out of the press. Not just a shot of the spine but the whole book.

If I was Joey I wouldn't share my livelihood techniques...

But I certainly wouldn't be offended by somebody in the industry experimenting with techniques.

But I certainly wouldn't be offended by somebody in the industry experimenting with techniques.

You should be old enough to remember professional courtesy Larry.

I have in the past. They all came back and screwed me over with it. So I no longer do. I applaud you for sharing what you did. It will help keep a lot of books from being ruined. Unlike some, you did not put the cart before the horse. But we all know the devil is in the details.

What I would like to see from Larry is a full picture of one of the books he presses a day after it is taken out of the press. Not just a shot of the spine but the whole book.

Sure.

Some of the defects I'm pressing are tough to capture on a straight above shot though,

I have a I-phone. It ain't great.

Tomorrow during the weekly breakdown of the Diamond Palatte, I'm going to pick a book. Same book, w similar defects.

Different press times, but ALL with a cold finish press to room temperature.

I'm have somebody drilling the top of my t-shirt press & installing a thermometer so I can accurately determine temp. ( I don't fully trust this old unit )

I'm happy to post pictures.

NEVER claimed I'd get it right away.

I'm never afraid to fail, just afraid to not try.

I WILL get pressing modern 9.4's to 9.8 candidates down to a science & produce a video showing EXACTLY how I do it.

It'll take time, but its fun...

You started treating me rudely in this thread Joey...

Remember that.

Remember that.

I made a joke and you overreacted. Seems no one can give you any advice.

For those that wonder why I am not more involved in discussion like these, it is because of people like Larry. If you look at some of the older threads and even ask some of the board members I was always happy to help. People like this are what keep me quiet these days.

Remember that.

For those that wonder why I am not more involved in discussion like these, it is because of people like Larry. If you look at some of the older threads and even ask some of the board members I was always happy to help. People like this are what keep me quiet these days.

joke at my expense to make yourself feel good.

You're quite the peach...

Master craftsmen can be such drama queens...

Finally a post that is actually educational and not damaging.

I have no dog in this fight and I've only heard good things about you, but why didn't you offer this sort of information to begin with?

I've never seen anyone be so transparent about pressing. Personally, I think that is the entire fear of the process. There is this little close knit group that seems afraid to share the secret for whatever reason. Why though?

If this is the same Larry I believe it is, I understand. However, I think it'd be great to see someone be honest instead of only having the infidel video on pressing available.

Why would any business person offer up the knowledge behind their services for free?

To be transparent about their practice. If I wanted to remodel my house, it isn't like the contractors are going to do things in secret. The same can be said for the guy fixing my car. Heck my mechanic always explains to me how he is going to fix my truck.

Heck even restaurants will show you how they make something. They might not show you the secret ingredient, but they'll show you the steps.

Put in How To for almost anything in the world and you'll find countless websites, videos, and tutorials. Put in How to Press comics and you get the infidel video.

Go to a mechanic and ask them to show you how to do it for free so you can go home and do it yourself and see how they react.

A lot of it may be the same as secret ingredients. Anyone with common sense can turn on the stove and cook. Some of it may be alright, but don't expect a master chef to give up secrets to his success especially when it may cut into his own business or the information may end up in the hands of a competitor.

Or try remodel your house without having the proper permits or insurance. Then try to sell your house after the professional job you did on it. I think mike Holmes has a tv show about amateur contractors a house up and he, a professional, has to fix it.

My father was a plumber for 50 years and always said that people who used the "Time / Life fix-it-yourself books" then had to call him afterwards essentially paid for his Corvette and his Harley

Yea my wife has been person_without_enough_empathying at me to do something in the bathroom. I've insisted time and time again that plumbing is more difficult than she thinks and if I break something it'll cost a fortune. We have an old house. She finally decided to do it herself. She turned the water off, put the wrench on the pipe, and realized she was going to break something.

I'm not sure what my point is though…

That wife's drive us crazy, and call us lazy just because we have the wisdom to realize plumbing is better left to the professionals. (:

Remember that.

joke at my expense to make yourself feel good.

You're quite the peach...

Master craftsmen can be such drama queens...

So can a novice.

Larry - when selling your pressed books will you be telling your customers that they have been pressed?

Why?

If a customer sells them to me is it disclosed?

If you submit to CGC do you tell them its pressed?

What's the point?

If a customer asked me, sure.

To be honest, I don't see pressing anything for the shop.

it would be primarily for submission books.

( should I include a post it detailing the press )

Larry - when selling your pressed books will you be telling your customers that they have been pressed?

Real question. I have noticed people CGC 9.8s and separately mentioning pressed CGC 9.8. If they grade it 9.8 either way, why does this matter ?

Real question. I have noticed people CGC 9.8s and separately mentioning pressed CGC 9.8. If they grade it 9.8 either way, why does this matter ?

Because some people, some buyers, would like to be informed.

I think it's like he said if they really need to be informed they would ask.

If asked, I would tell them.

Sure.

Gosh I remember 20 years ago I had a great idea with an electric grill and a couple of sheets of glass....20 ruined comics later, the grill makes funny smelling burgers....

For the preservation of burgers everywhere, don't do what I did do....