• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

Larry - when selling your pressed books will you be telling your customers that they have been pressed?

Real question. I have noticed people CGC 9.8s and separately mentioning pressed CGC 9.8. If they grade it 9.8 either way, why does this matter ?

I have only seen it mentioned on books that matter, gold, silver, bronze keys and such. I agree with you that it doesn't matter for those books in your top 11 all time read list you have in your sig line. :baiting::foryou:

Joey, why not share this little bit of information with people?

If I was Joey I wouldn't share my livelihood techniques...

But I certainly wouldn't be offended by somebody in the industry experimenting with techniques.

You should be old enough to remember professional courtesy Larry.

You started treating me rudely in this thread Joey...

Remember that.

I made a joke and you overreacted. Seems no one can give you any advice.

For those that wonder why I am not more involved in discussion like these, it is because of people like Larry. If you look at some of the older threads and even ask some of the board members I was always happy to help. People like this are what keep me quiet these days.

joke at my expense to make yourself feel good.

You're quite the peach...

Master craftsmen can be such drama queens...

post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif

Gosh I remember 20 years ago I had a great idea with an electric grill and a couple of sheets of glass....20 ruined comics later, the grill makes funny smelling burgers....

For the preservation of burgers everywhere, don't do what I did do....

And then George Foreman saw you making burgers that way, and had an epiphany.

Dude, you missed that boat... his grills made him a mint!

(:

-slym

It was fun getting caught up in this thread. My general thoughts:

1.) Are there seriously people complaining that free information or discussion of a subject is occurring on the Internet? lol The only thing I can think is that these people paid someone to teach them how to press, and are grumpy about it.

2.) I am sure all the people who are now professionals or experienced pressers, had their trial and errors. The "people are going to wreck books" argument doesnt hold water. People have been wrecking books (since the 70s apparently) a long time learning how to press. If anything, its thread like these that help less books get wrecked.

3.) People asking professionals to give detailed information on what they do is just silly. People aren't going to train others how to replace them, nor should anyone expect them to, and that is just fine. Its the people who arent professionals, trying to tell other people what they can or can't talk about or share, those are the real villains in this saga.

4.) If Larry's pressed books get 9.8s from CGC, that's all that matters. IF that isnt all that matters, than its CGC that is the problem, and that start the whole other lively debate about the merits of slabbed books.

5.) Why would people need to disclose that a RAW books is pressed. The whole disclosing thing, is the fact that a slabbed book is encapsulated in plastic. If you can pick the book up, look at it, touch it, flip through it, etc, its on you. For raw books, is resto, trimming, etc that an average person needs to be told about, not pressing.

1.) Are there seriously people complaining that free information or discussion of a subject is occurring on the Internet? lol The only thing I can think is that these people paid someone to teach them how to press, and are grumpy about it.

2.) I am sure all the people who are now professionals or experienced pressers, had their trial and errors. The "people are going to wreck books" argument doesnt hold water. People have been wrecking books (since the 70s apparently) a long time learning how to press. If anything, its thread like these that help less books get wrecked.

3.) People asking professionals to give detailed information on what they do is just silly. People aren't going to train others how to replace them, nor should anyone expect them to, and that is just fine. Its the people who arent professionals, trying to tell other people what they can or can't talk about or share, those are the real villains in this saga.

4.) If Larry's pressed books get 9.8s from CGC, that's all that matters. IF that isnt all that matters, than its CGC that is the problem, and that start the whole other lively debate about the merits of slabbed books.

5.) Why would people need to disclose that a RAW books is pressed. The whole disclosing thing, is the fact that a slabbed book is encapsulated in plastic. If you can pick the book up, look at it, touch it, flip through it, etc, its on you. For raw books, is resto, trimming, etc that an average person needs to be told about, not pressing.

Yup.

I don't know about being "villains" (you make it sound like they are going to dress up in a costume and press people's body parts to silence them... hehe) as such, but perhaps unjustifiably upset. I doubt many people are honestly going to pick up pressing from this thread alone, if anything it is only going to encourage the people who have already looked into it IMHO.

I'll eat my hat if in a few weeks time a "comic books to heat up" thread appears discussing the easy small win 80's / 90's books to try and press to higher grades e.g. Batman / X-Men / Daredevil / Punisher etc etc... and the higher risk / reward ones... a bit like the ebay thread.

Without time and dedication to learning to grade and knowing which books and what condition to look for I think anyone simply picking up a press is going to struggle at first if their goal is to make money unless they have been collecting and grading for some time.

For raw books, is resto, trimming, etc that an average person needs to be told about, not pressing.

I think that is up to the individual. I know there are people on this board who never, ever want a pressed book in their collection, and whether they are buying CGC or raw, I imagine they'd like to know if the book they are thinking about buying is pressed or not.

-slym

A lot (or at least a non-insignificant amount) of buyers on this board speculate/flip the comics they sell. It would be important for them to know if a book has been pressed or not, so that they can ascertain if a higher grade can be achieved than the one the seller is listing it at. I say "they" (the buyers), but I should include myself, too. I don't find the information mandatory, but it is good to know. But probably more so for slabbed books than raws.

both people replying to 5, if the book is raw, and you can look at it yourself, judge it for what it is. Don't you think the consequence of what you are saying is:

I want to buy raw books, without being able to grade it myself, and I want to know if its been pressed.

The main people who want to know if a book is pressed or not in a slab, is because they want to know if they can crack it out and press it themselves. If you can handle the book, and want to have it pressed, I think you should know by handling it and looking at it, everything you need to know.

Also, Larry once you get the regular pressing down, you should do a series on Square Bound books as well, whole different animal.

Also, Spine Adjustment is the real 900-lb gorilla for older books. There are MANY people on these boards selling spine adjusted books that I wouldnt touch with a 1000-yd pole.

That to me, is destroying books, and CGC needs to start putting the hammer down on it. Nothing I hate more than reading a thread title of a nice book in grade I want to see, coming into it and seeing from the picture that

"the Chiropractor"

has been at work.... :sick:

Today's press sandwich 03-11-14:

First of let's identify exactly what I'm pressing:

Captain Marvel #1

It is a 32 page new Marvel comic with the really thin cover stock that is rumored to be made of still green wood/paper.

For the past six months these are consistently the worst condition new books in any retailers shipment.

Every book is different. Different thickness, paper / cover stocks. Prepping the press for ea will be different.

We are keeping a log with results.

( the pressure applied will be different for more pages & other cover stocks )

It's my goal to apply the minimal amount of pressure & heat necessary to the book to remove the defects .

In this case: A light vertical production grabber mark & a couple non color spine tics / bends.

I do not want too much heat & pressure. I want to keep the book supple & the same thickness.

Finding the right "formula" is what this trial & error exercise is about.

EJwdUGAl.jpg

Bottom of press pad

art board

silicone release paper

book with vellum in-between front cover

This press I'm trying an interior staple page support, a Comic Shop News, one of the newsprint ones, I'm placing the spine of the CSN inward, against the spine of the book. Hopefully it will help prevent the book being squashed knife thin, and help to leave the spine well rounded.

book with vellum in-between back cover ( Vellum Papers are translucent and acid free.)

thin art-board

I just pressed at 150 degrees for 120 seconds with cover up.

Cool down period in the press until room temperature, allowing the expanded paper to contract & settle.

( This was 1 hour forty minutes )

wKiHeudl.jpg

I consider the book now in "equilibrium" a settling phase & will place in sturdy bag and board and seal tightly.

"Thank-You!" packages for valuable thread input began shipping yesterday.

Feel free to post or DM feedback

Also, Larry once you get the regular pressing down, you should do a series on Square Bound books as well, whole different animal.

Also, Spine Adjustment is the real 900-lb gorilla for older books. There are MANY people on these boards selling spine adjusted books that I wouldnt touch with a 1000-yd pole.

That to me, is destroying books, and CGC needs to start putting the hammer down on it. Nothing I hate more than reading a thread title of a nice book in grade I want to see, coming into it and seeing from the picture that

"the Chiropractor"

has been at work.... :sick:

Facejobs are the worst. that whole Cole Shave thread will make you :sick:

Is it more of a I buy low grade books to press and sell at a profit.........so I think it should be disclosed so I don't lose money? No point in pressing twice, I think.Or I collect comics and don't like pressed books at all. Which is more of the issue? I may have missed another point to this part of the discussion ......if so add to it.

Yup.

I'll eat my hat if in a few weeks time a "comic books to heat up" thread appears discussing the easy small win 80's / 90's books to try and press to higher grades e.g. Batman / X-Men / Daredevil / Punisher etc etc... and the higher risk / reward ones... a bit like the ebay thread.

Already happening in the Copper thread...

Is it more of a I buy low grade books to press and sell at a profit.........so I think it should be disclosed so I don't lose money? No point in pressing twice, I think.Or I collect comics and don't like pressed books at all. Which is more of the issue? I may have missed another point to this part of the discussion ......if so add to it.

I'm gathering people don't want to buy a pressed book because they may intend to press it themselves but I'm not sure that is the case for all who don't like a pressed book. It wouldn't matter to me personally though I find myself tempted to try this out on a lot of books in my dead boxes.

I'm gathering people don't want to buy a pressed book because they may intend to press it themselves but I'm not sure that is the case for all who don't like a pressed book. It wouldn't matter to me personally though I find myself tempted to try this out on a lot of books in my dead boxes.

Or some people consider it to be restoration, and would like to know before buying a book. The hobby has pretty much accepted it, but there are people that still care.

Jim

both people replying to 5, if the book is raw, and you can look at it yourself, judge it for what it is. Don't you think the consequence of what you are saying is:

I want to buy raw books, without being able to grade it myself, and I want to know if its been pressed.

The main people who want to know if a book is pressed or not in a slab, is because they want to know if they can crack it out and press it themselves. If you can handle the book, and want to have it pressed, I think you should know by handling it and looking at it, everything you need to know.

I was specifically referring to purchases off of the boards, i.e. no way to handle the book that is being purchased.