• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC and Marvel movie results: 1978 to present
5 5

783 posts in this topic

• 33rd film in a massively connected franchise
  • Sequel to a $1.131B tremendous hit
  • Three female powerhouses as co-leads though 2 are from Disney+ shows so a more limited general audience awareness

Screenshot_20231201-0516052.png.1f79e863b05cbeeb75f43b04164e9c32.png

image.thumb.png.d6d9b5e4a704c681ae191de26a2aab9b.png

But let's compare to other recent films with much less of a foundation due to all that backstory and previous successes.

:highfive:

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/28/2023 at 9:14 AM, Mr Sneeze said:

The 20th Century Fox purchase was an Iger move, was it not?

I couldn’t believe the price at the time and still can’t. 

It was a GREAT purchase, but what has changed since then is that the cultural marketplace has changed and Disney hasn't adapted. 

If they had made traditional movies in the traditional MCU way, they'd be raking in $100's of millions or even $1 Billion per movie. 

They left the traditional formula, people are voting with their dollars and they are still pounding the wrong drum beat. 

Holy!!

After four weeks on the big screen, the comic book tentpole is running out of steam with $80 million in North America and $197 million globally. There would typically be optimism that attendance could rebound over the busy holiday season, but Disney apparently doesn’t expect that to be the case. The studio wrote on Sunday in a note to press, “With ‘The Marvels’ box office now winding down, we will stop weekend reporting of international/global grosses on this title."

The film isn’t leaving theaters just yet, and the $220 million-plus budgeted tentpole is expected to play through New Year’s. However, this memo signals that it’s not expected to generate notable coinage during the rest of December. Over the weekend, “The Marvels” tumbled to 11th place on box office charts with just $2.4 million in its fourth outing.

“The Marvels” opened on Nov. 10 with $46 million domestically to land the worst debut in the MCU, the franchise’s rare misfire out of the gate. Things only got gloomier. Ticket sales cratered by 78% in its sophomore outing to cement another ignominious record: the biggest second-weekend drop of the series. Now, as the film nears the end of its theatrical run, box office revenues won’t top 2008’s “The Incredible Hulk” ($264 million, not adjusted for inflation), which previously stood as the lowest-grossing entry.

On 12/3/2023 at 6:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

Holy!!

Nobody is tired of this drum beating. 

But everyone is tired of me explaining why it's beating this way. lol

In the tumult of Disney's trials, the tempest brewed when an overflow of content swept away the essence of anticipation. As folks endeavored to consume the deluge, they found themselves drowning in a sea of excess. The magic began to wane, and the once vibrant tales turned pallid, prompting hearts to disengage from the enchantment the company once so fervently bestowed.

On 12/4/2023 at 4:50 PM, Lucky Baru said:

In the tumult of Disney's trials, the tempest brewed when an overflow of content swept away the essence of anticipation. As folks endeavored to consume the deluge, they found themselves drowning in a sea of excess. The magic began to wane, and the once vibrant tales turned pallid, prompting hearts to disengage from the enchantment the company once so fervently bestowed.

I watched the 1st Captain Marvel for the 1st time last night. Caught it about mid way through, as the Skrulls appeared in the home. 

It was bland to me, the Skrulls, doing "SNL" type humor didn't fit and I thought the dialogue was poorly written and I lost interest very quickly, even though being an old FF lover, I really was interested in Skrull screen time. 

Jumping back in time, it felt very removed from previous MCU movies, but if I'd been following the MCU and saw it in the theaters right after another MCU movie, I may have thought I enjoyed it more based on the time I'd already invested previously following the MCU.

Jumping back into 2019 definitely gave me a different perspective than following it in the theaters as it came out.

I will actually try to watch it again from the beginning just to make sure but right now, it felt 'ok'. Not great. 

On 12/4/2023 at 4:56 PM, VintageComics said:

I watched the 1st Captain Marvel for the 1st time last night. Caught it about mid way through, as the Skrulls appeared in the home. 

I did rewatch this again, from the beginning. 

It was OK but I just didn't love it. It was OK by MCU standards. 

I have the same complaints. It was a bit bland. The Skrulls were just weird for being what they were. I genuinely felt like I was watching a comedy show with a Skrull trying to not be funny but be funny. It was really weird...

And I'm going to say it because it's true: It was really weird seeing Annette Benning in the Air Force, and watching the two of them pilot a fighter jet. 

I love Annette Benning, I always have, but all I could see was grandma in a fighter jet. It was a real reach. 

All in all, not a horrible movie and probably slightly better than average. 

------------------

I also rewatched Dr. Strange (they've been airing MCU movies all week) and I thought that stood up pretty decent. 

It just had a little more "oomph" than Mrs. Marvel did.

Edited by VintageComics

For two months I've been getting lambasted by irate boardies who have tried to oppose me for the central, irrefutable point I've been making.

That point has been that Disney and other corporations have been adulterating the art form by having overarching agendas that have nothing to do with good story telling. 

I've shown my work in longform and in clear detail on how and why. I've been called names for it, ganged up on accused of lying and making things up. I've even been accused of posting things nobody wants to hear about. I've been accusing of talking about politics, when in fact I've only spoken about economics. Meanwhile the people opposed to the discussion are pushing their politics in an effort to drown out the discussion on economics. 

Well, of course you're not going to hear about it if your beliefs are built on a foundation of sand and what I'm saying is toppling your structure. 

I've shown clearly that Disney and competitors have prioritized messaging and virtue signalling over storytelling. It's unequivocal and yet people have their head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge it, let alone prove me wrong. 

Well now, Disney's Iger has come out and stated EXACTLY what I've been getting thrashed for, for the last 2 months. lol

@PopKulture @Buzzetta @Cat @Hulksdaddy1

@jaybuck43 @delekkerste @Bosco685

Can we have a consensus on this? :D

I won't post the entire article, because it contains political speak but you can find it on Social Media. It's a CNBC article. :wink:

Good grief, people, can we finally acknowledge that many had no idea what they were talking about, that some of us did and we can FINALLY bring some normalcy into this place now that the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain has been exposed?

Disney has shown their kink in the armor and it's game over. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disney CEO Bob Iger says company's movies have been too focused on messaging

Disney CEO Bob Iger acknowledged his company has focused too much on movie messaging and not enough on quality storytelling.

Disney Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said Wednesday he will no longer tolerate his company's partners and creative team prioritizing messaging over storytelling.

"Creators lost sight of what their No. 1 objective needed to be," Iger said at the DealBook Summit in New York on Wednesday. "We have to entertain first. It's not about messages."

Iger has recently pushed to improve the quality of Disney films in 2024 and beyond. He is cutting back the number of movies Disney makes to focus on making better films. Earlier this week, he told Disney employees at a town hall that creating hit movies is the best way the company can change perception for investors and employees.

Iger said Disney's prioritization of messaging over storytelling peaked "while [he] was gone" in 2022, alluding to the 11 months he left his job as Disney's executive chairman. Iger had been in charge of "creative endeavors" in 2020 and 2021, even while Bob Chapek ran the company as CEO.

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/5/2023 at 11:27 PM, VintageComics said:

For two months I've been getting lambasted by irate boardies who have tried to oppose me for the central, irrefutable point I've been making.

That point has been that Disney and other corporations have been adulterating the art form by having overarching agendas that have nothing to do with good story telling. 

I've shown my work in longform and in clear detail on how and why. I've been called names for it, ganged up on accused of lying and making things up. I've even been accused of posting things nobody wants to hear about. I've been accusing of talking about politics, when in fact I've only spoken about economics. Meanwhile the people opposed to the discussion are pushing their politics in an effort to drown out the discussion on economics. 

Well, of course you're not going to hear about it if your beliefs are built on a foundation of sand and what I'm saying is toppling your structure. 

I've shown clearly that Disney and competitors have prioritized messaging and virtue signalling over storytelling. It's unequivocal and yet people have their head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge it, let alone prove me wrong. 

Well now, Disney's Iger has come out and stated EXACTLY what I've been getting thrashed for, for the last 2 months. lol

@PopKulture @Buzzetta @Cat @Hulksdaddy1

@jaybuck43 @delekkerste @Bosco685

Can we have a consensus on this? :D

I won't post the entire article, because it contains political speak but you can find it on Social Media. It's a CNBC article. :wink:

Good grief, people. 

Can we finally acknowledge that many had no idea what you were talking about and some of us did and FINALLY bring some normalcy into this place now that the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain has been exposed?

Disney CEO Bob Iger says company's movies have been too focused on messaging

Disney CEO Bob Iger acknowledged his company has focused too much on movie messaging and not enough on quality storytelling.

Disney Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said Wednesday he will no longer tolerate his company's partners and creative team prioritizing messaging over storytelling.

"Creators lost sight of what their No. 1 objective needed to be," Iger said at the DealBook Summit in New York on Wednesday. "We have to entertain first. It's not about messages."

Iger has recently pushed to improve the quality of Disney films in 2024 and beyond. He is cutting back the number of movies Disney makes to focus on making better films. Earlier this week, he told Disney employees at a town hall that creating hit movies is the best way the company can change perception for investors and employees.

Iger said Disney's prioritization of messaging over storytelling peaked "while [he] was gone" in 2022, alluding to the 11 months he left his job as Disney's executive chairman. Iger had been in charge of "creative endeavors" in 2020 and 2021, even while Bob Chapek ran the company as CEO.

I've had nothing to do with this. Ain't my pig, ain't my farm. 

Edited by Cat

On 12/5/2023 at 8:40 AM, Cat said:

I've had nothing to do with this. Ain't my pig, ain't my farm. 

You were calling me names in several threads because of my central point, and I'm just showing you that my work has been shown to be true now by the CEO of Disney, who basically came out and agreed with it. No worries. Glad we can amicably move on. 

Edited by VintageComics