• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saw Amazing SpiderMan 2

415 posts in this topic

And that $35.5 million (which is just an estimate) is lower than any of the previous Spidey movies on opening Friday.

That and you have a Seth Rogan comedy next week, Godzilla the week after that and X-Men: Days of Future Past the week after that....

And once word gets out that Scarlett Johansson has a full frontal nude scene in the small independent sci-fi movie 'Under the Skin' (check the art house listings in your town), fanboys will have plenty of other options...

Spider-Man movie fridays:

- Spider-Man: $39,406,872

- Spider-Man 2: $40,442,604 (it opened on a Wednesday - Friday was $32,452,342)

- Spider-Man 3: $59,841,919

- Amazing Spider-Man: $35,016,884 (Opened on a Tuesday - Friday was $20,480,039)

So it looks like if Friday was $35 MM, it was in line with the previous movie's opening Tuesday. Which is not a good thing if you were to adjust for inflation.

Forecast: Will 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Reach $100 Million?

Thursday Update: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 earned a solid $8.7 million from late Thursday shows. Among recent comic book movies, that's an improvement on Thor: The Dark World ($7.1 million), but off from Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($10.2 million).

This late-night debut suggests that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will wind up roughly on par with expectations this weekend. If it holds like Captain America, it will wind up with $81 million; Thor's pattern, on the other hand, would give it a debut north of $100 million. Odds are that it ends up somewhere in the middle: if The Amazing Spider-Man 2 holds like the last two Summer openers (Iron Man 3, The Avengers) it will earn around $97 million for the three-day weekend.

You would have thought it would have debuted before school vacation week?

...and not after. :shrug:

Disclaimer: basing my imformation on the New England region (Massachusetts's was last week and NH's was this week).

You would have thought it would have debuted before school vacation week?

...and not after. :shrug:

Disclaimer: basing my imformation on the New England region (Massachusetts's was last week and NH's was this week).

In that box office mojo writeup that is part of what they noted Sony changed to attempt to make this a successful franchise again (I know - a solid story would help too).

In an attempt to turn things around, there were a few key changes made for The Amazing Spider-Man 2. First, it's improved the villain situation significantly: two new ones (Electro, Rhino) and one old favorite (the Green Goblin) are a collective step up from The Lizard. The franchise is also returning to the first weekend of May, where it previously set opening weekend records in 2002 ($114.8 million) and 2007 ($151.1 million).

I never caught that before, as it looks like Sony changed its release strategy with each movie (5/3/02, 6/30/04, 5/4/07, 7/3/12, 5/2/14).

Is anyone but me, getting tired of the gratuitous Stan Lee appearances? I mean, they are getting worse and worse. The one in this movie added nothing to the movie EXCEPT to have him appear in it. Nothing at all.

They could do better, if they absolutely have to have him in these movies.

The children absolutely loved this new Spider-Man movie. :) It was a great feeling to see so many children having a good time at the theater. Thank you Sony for making an awesome blockbuster that the children can enjoy all summer long. (thumbs u Take your children. They'll love it!

There was one "grown-up" man that seemed upset that an obvious childrens' character like Spider-Man, wasn't made into a "more mature" movie just for him. One got the feeling this "adult" actually thinks there is a difference between the target audience for Spider-Man and Dora The Explorer. :roflmao:

Sad thing is I'm sure 90% of the people here will go and see this. And that is just what the greedy corporation wants. They don't care if you like it or not they got their money from you.

It's sad that people want to go see a movie they are interested in? If I listened to just these boards, I don't think there is any movie I would go see, because there is always someone panning the movie.

With that said, my interest is not very high in this movie. But I don't begrudge others for going to see a movie they want to see.

So extended thoughts now that I'm home:

1) I hated Garfield as Peter in the first one. I did a total 180 on that after this film. I thought Peter was great and Garfield was perfect. They really did a nice job evolving the character and improving on him.

2) Emma Stone and Garfield were incredible together. I just couldn't imagine better casting and they were perfect together.

3) The guy who played Harry was perfect. He was creepy at times, but then he worked so well as Peter's friend. He was a solid actor too.

4) It made me excited for the next film.

5) The villain stories weren't very strong. The true strength of the film was the love story and that is what drove it forward. I'm totally fine with that though.

6) As others mentioned, there is some weird moments. The people being spectators was odd, but you sort of have to look past that stuff.

I loved the film. I'd rank them:

Spider-Man 2

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Spider-Man

Amazing Spider-Man

(Film that can not be named)

Just got back from seeing it with my wife.

1) I should have taken Joe Collectors advice and saved my money.

2) I almost fell asleep. Starting about the middle of the movie, all I could think about was, "I can't wait until this thing is over".

3) Is every villain someone that our hero knew before they became a villain?

4) What happens in a mall when someone shots off a couple of gun shots? Everyone scatters and/or hides. What happens in a Marvel movie when a super powered villain starts shooting at cops, or throwing mighty electrical shots at cops and buildings? They gather behind barricades and watch. With their kids.

5) What is the first thing cops do (apparently), when they show up to battle a super villain? They erect barricades so that the masses know where to stand to watch the battle. Cops must have very big trunks to store those metal barricades, in those cop cars.

5) OMG. This movie stinks.

You need to copyright this review as it's spot on. :applause:

Yea it really bothered me that people were gawking and watching Spider-Man. It was so unrealistic and detracted from me watching the guy with spider powers shoot webs from his hand and catch cars.

IT'S A SUPER HERO MOVIE!

2) I almost fell asleep. Starting about the middle of the movie, all I could think about was, "I can't wait until this thing is over".

4) What happens in a mall when someone shots off a couple of gun shots? Everyone scatters and/or hides. What happens in a Marvel movie when a super powered villain starts shooting at cops, or throwing mighty electrical shots at cops and buildings? They gather behind barricades and watch. With their kids.

5) What is the first thing cops do (apparently), when they show up to battle a super villain? They erect barricades so that the masses know where to stand to watch the battle. Cops must have very big trunks to store those metal barricades, in those cop cars.

Yea it really bothered me that people were gawking and watching Spider-Man. It was so unrealistic and detracted from me watching the guy with spider powers shoot webs from his hand and catch cars.

IT'S A SUPER HERO MOVIE!

:roflmao:

(thumbs u

The children absolutely love this movie! As opposed to TDKR, which many daycare facilities play for the toddlers to induce naptime.

The children absolutely loved this new Spider-Man movie. :) It was a great feeling to see so many children having a good time at the theater. Thank you Sony for making an awesome blockbuster that the children can enjoy all summer long. (thumbs u Take your children. They'll love it!

There was one "grown-up" man that seemed upset that an obvious childrens' character like Spider-Man, wasn't made into a "more mature" movie just for him. One got the feeling this "adult" actually thinks there is a difference between the target audience for Spider-Man and Dora The Explorer. :roflmao:

I'm glad I don't watch movies like that "adult" or view movies like some of the more "educated" experts/critics/some posters here.

How "fun' that must be to go through life only able to enjoy a handful of movies or other forms of entertainment.

IT'S A SUPER HERO MOVIE!

Yea. I left out about the ever present girlfriend that interjects herself into these super powered fights. Thus putting her "man" in even more danger, because now he has to worry about, and protect her.

I also left out how romancy this movie is. If I want to see a love story. I will watch "Love Story".

And what happened to the shy wallflower Peter Parker? Basically a young Clark Kent.

IT'S A SUPER HERO MOVIE!

Yea. I left out about the ever present girlfriend that interjects herself into these super powered fights. Thus putting her "man" in even more danger, because now he has to worry about, and protect her.

I also left out how romancy this movie is. If I want to see a love story. I will watch "Love Story".

Have you read a Spider-Man comic? It is like a soap opera mixed in with some super heroics. That is even more true of the Romita era- his background was in romance comics so it makes sense.

And what happened to the shy wallflower Peter Parker? Basically a young Clark Kent.

Peter hasn't been a wall flower since he graduated in Amazing Spider-Man 28. There have been over 700 issues (minus a few with Ock as Peter) where he wasn't a wall flower.

Yea. Okay.

I also didn't mention that people were dying while Spiderman was playing his hokey funny side. Telling jokes on a cell phone, while people (cops and citizens) were being run over. etc., etc.

Does he actually carry a cell phone while fighting crime? Where? You can see every inch of his body in that tight leotard suit.

Does he actually carry a cell phone while fighting crime?

Peter's been answering the phone for years now. Not a great action shot but you get the gist of it. images_zps227cf622.jpeg

Where? You can see every inch of his body in that tight leotard suit.

Recently, in like 1963, Steve Ditko created a utility belt for Spider-Man.

ditko-spider-man-001_zpsac3ee056.jpg

I think you need to do some Spidey reading :makepoint:

Does he actually carry a cell phone while fighting crime?

Peter's been answering the phone for years now. Not a great action shot but you get the gist of it. images_zps227cf622.jpeg

Where? You can see every inch of his body in that tight leotard suit.

Recently, in like 1963, Steve Ditko created a utility belt for Spider-Man.

ditko-spider-man-001_zpsac3ee056.jpg

I think you need to do some Spidey reading :makepoint:

Sad thing is I'm sure 90% of the people here will go and see this. And that is just what the greedy corporation wants. They don't care if you like it or not they got their money from you.

It's sad that people want to go see a movie they are interested in? If I listened to just these boards, I don't think there is any movie I would go see, because there is always someone panning the movie.

With that said, my interest is not very high in this movie. But I don't begrudge others for going to see a movie they want to see.

No, the sad thing is that most will go see this movie even if it was just Spidey in a tutu!

These books were so well written and it's a shame to have to settle for less.

Only a hand full of these modern comic related movies will be classics that people enjoy decades from now (like Supes I and Bats I) and that's a shame.

Some of the deep character development deserve a better set of movies.