• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saw Amazing SpiderMan 2

415 posts in this topic

My only issue with the movie was that I don't think Sony understood their target audience. Spider-Man is supposed to be for young children, but the storyline of the movie is very dark. I could see a lot of kids being upset after seeing the movie.

The first one was dark, so I think they just continued on with the story that needed to be told. I thought Stacy would be around until ASM 3, but I think that scene had a lot of impact and definitely caught me off guard.

About the kids being upset, I took my 8-year-old brother and he loved it, as did my ten year old cousin.

My only issue with the movie was that I don't think Sony understood their target audience. Spider-Man is supposed to be for young children, but the storyline of the movie is very dark. I could see a lot of kids being upset after seeing the movie.

The first one was dark, so I think they just continued on with the story that needed to be told. I thought Stacy would be around until ASM 3, but I think that scene had a lot of impact and definitely caught me off guard.

About the kids being upset, I took my 8-year-old brother and he loved it, as did my ten year old cousin.

Bold explains why AF 15's continue to be gold and Sony real target audience expectations were met.

Marvel ain't getting back the rights to Spider-man anytime soon in my lifetime.

:applause:

:headbang:

Bold explains why AF 15's continue to be gold and Sony real target audience expectations were met.

My 9 year old daughter also really enjoyed it. She enjoyed the first a lot too though even though I've tried to convince her otherwise.

She was a little perplexed by the death. I even gave her a heads up when I saw the outfit and put together the foreshadowing. I sort of though they'd wait for the third.

If you think about it, It was the first major death in a super hero film of a beloved character. Sure the Avengers had Coulson, but he wasn't as predominate as Gwen.

My 9 year old daughter also really enjoyed it. She enjoyed the first a lot too though even though I've tried to convince her otherwise.

She was a little perplexed by the death. I even gave her a heads up when I saw the outfit and put together the foreshadowing. I sort of though they'd wait for the third.

If you think about it, It was the first major death in a super hero film of a beloved character. Sure the Avengers had Coulson, but he wasn't as predominate as Gwen.

The classic ASM 121 scene lived up to my expectations and felt like I was reading the actual death panel from the classic issue.

Today mid-morning, my friend and I went to watch ASM 2 and I find this movie to be quite good, as much bit better than the first. Even if some of the storyline wasn't the same as the original ASM comic book series. The story is decent good.

The admission to pay was the best deal I had. Cost me $6.00 since it was in the morning. Next to see is X-Men DFP coming up! There was a preview in the middle of end credits.

I'm taking the kids to this movie in about an hour. My opinion when we get back. :/

Well, that happened. :) My 15 year old son and I did not like the movie. My 12 year old daughter and her friend did.

I wanted to like this movie. I saw the first ASM and didn't like it because Peter Parker was such an unlikeable character. In this movie, Parker is a likeable character, but the storyline is broken, resulting in a mess of a movie. This movie had some of the best of Spider-Man on the screen and some of the worst.

First the good stuff. The costume in this movie was perfect. The special effects were spectacular. When Spider-Man was doing his thing, it was like the comic pages were coming alive. I thought the Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey love story was the best part of the movie. I was also impressed with how much emotion we got out of Spider-Man in the costume. I thought Electro the villain was decent. Unfortunately, there was so much wrong with this movie, it didn't make up for the good stuff.

All the critics of this movie are correct about the problems. Electro's "civilian" persona is a 70s Superman movie villain crossed with Jim Carey's Riddler. Thankfully, we didn't have to sit through too much of the movie with this one-dimensional character before he turned into Elektro. This will not hold up well as the years go by just like they didn't with the Superman and Batman movies. Many of the one-liners in this movie were not very funny. I'm not sure who thought throwing in some of the over the top silly stuff was a good idea. The megaphone in Spider-Man's ear scene. Spider-Man wearing a fireman's hat. Spider-Man buying medicine at the convenient store. Those scenes really took me out of the movie. These scenes were reminiscent of the Tobey McGuire scenes in Spider-Man 3 when he was acting cool. It might play well to the young crowd, but they really are jarring in what is otherwise a serious movie.

I didn't know Harry Osborn was Green Goblin. I always thought it was Norman Osborn. This movie is coming out too close to the original Spider-Man trilogy and I'm having a hard time rectifying what I saw there with what this movie changed as far as Harry and Norman. Grafting on Peter Parker's parents to his origin (his dad's blood was in the spider that bit Peter) just convolutes what was a solid origin. Having all the villains conveniently related to Oscorp lab experiments (like Spider-Man) does not feel right, but that's because with the Spider-Man I read growing up, the villains all had unique back stories and motivations. They were not recruits for Osborn's villain of the month club. I'll admit, I didn't read Ultimate Spider-Man, so if this story is based on that, that's probably why most of these elements were lost on me. Admittedly, these are more my personal taste issues with the movie and could be forgiven if not for the other problems.

And I'll agree with the critics who mention the dumbest scenes in the movie were with the bystanders standing behind barricades in what is essentially a war zone. "Look kids, there is a huge gunfight going on over there. Let's squeeze up to the front and get a better look." I also thought the scene where the two planes avoid the collision was dumb and that entire part of the movie was ill conceived.

This movie felt like the studio grafted the Green Goblin plot onto the Electro story because they didn't want to wait one more movie to introduce the Sinister Six. In many ways, this movie had the same problems as Spider-Man 3 in the first trilogy where the writers were forced to add Venom. That movie would have been better if it just focused on Sandman and this movie would have been better if it just focused on Electro. Cut the Rhino plot, the Green Goblin plot, and add a more realistic motivation for Electro to hate Spider-Man and this could have been a great movie. We also could have benefited from one more outing by Gwen Stacey.

Finally, was Harry Osborne's second in command suppose to be Felicia Hardy?

And I forgot to add. Sony managed to screw up the Green Goblin costume yet again. :facepalm:

Dude how?

What do you want to see?

Sony isn't even coming close to screwing up Spider-man besides the flop of part 3.

Did you also want to see a yellow star on Elecktro? :eyeroll:

What did I want to see? I wanted to see the Green Goblin. Not Harry with a bad punk rocker hairdo and green goo on his face. In fact, this GG from ASM2 looked like Butthead from Beavis and Butthead. I would have gladly taken the Green Goblin that prances around Universal Islands of Adventure in Orlando.

As for "Elecktro" (I think you meant Electro), was anyone honestly frightened by the return of Dr. Manhattan in ASM2??? I mean, really. As for the yellow star, i think you're referring to the Ditko-era lightning bolt. In ASM2, toward the end of the film, we saw Dr. Manhattan (sorry, Electro) sporting a Shazam-looking lightning bolt on the sleeve of his tunic. So they even managed to botch that pretty good.

Bottom line, time will judge ASM2, but I think it's fair to say that it was only marginally better than a very mediocre ASM1. I am a HUGE Spidey fan, so, yes, I hoped for and expected much better.

So far the movie has 4 Theater, 2 Rent, and 2 Avoids over at my site. Interesting. I plan on doing my review this week.

www.filmigos.com

I thought overall it was meh

The last 30 minutes saved it! Electro was kind of cool. Otherwise - meh

My ASM2 takeaways:

I like the old one so much more. The new one makes PP a sharp dressed, cool guy hipster. That's NOT the dorky, nerdy PP. He looks like a freaking Abercrombie poster child! :facepalm:

When Elektro REALLY becomes super powered when Harry frees him - he turns into a being of pure electricity and then creates a body for himself - but HE'S WEARING SHORTS?! :facepalm:

Aunt May isn't old and fragile in the movie?! She is in the comics. I hate the Sally Field Aunt May.

Two planes are about to crash - seriously?! Seriously?! Unnecessary. Oh, and it's going to happen in 4 minutes! Clock it! THE GIRL PULLS OUT AN OLD WINDUP POCKETWATCH?! Again - s.e.r.i.o.u.s.l.y?! :facepalm:

The power is restored - QUICK, plane 1 - turn left! Plane 2 - turn right!!! Top Gun music begins!! :banana: phew! Crisis averted! Seri....I'm not going to bother. :facepalm:

:news: When Gwen dies - the clock tower reads 1:21 :news: coolest part in the movie. (thumbs u

The last 30 minutes were the best part of the movie and may have saved it from complete trainwreck.

And I thought Rhino was in the movie?! (shrug)

I'm taking the kids to this movie in about an hour. My opinion when we get back. :/

Well, that happened. :) My 15 year old son and I did not like the movie. My 12 year old daughter and her friend did.

I wanted to like this movie. I saw the first ASM and didn't like it because Peter Parker was such an unlikeable character. In this movie, Parker is a likeable character, but the storyline is broken, resulting in a mess of a movie. This movie had some of the best of Spider-Man on the screen and some of the worst.

First the good stuff. The costume in this movie was perfect. The special effects were spectacular. When Spider-Man was doing his thing, it was like the comic pages were coming alive. I thought the Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey love story was the best part of the movie. I was also impressed with how much emotion we got out of Spider-Man in the costume. I thought Electro the villain was decent. Unfortunately, there was so much wrong with this movie, it didn't make up for the good stuff.

All the critics of this movie are correct about the problems. Electro's "civilian" persona is a 70s Superman movie villain crossed with Jim Carey's Riddler. Thankfully, we didn't have to sit through too much of the movie with this one-dimensional character before he turned into Elektro. This will not hold up well as the years go by just like they didn't with the Superman and Batman movies. Many of the one-liners in this movie were not very funny. I'm not sure who thought throwing in some of the over the top silly stuff was a good idea. The megaphone in Spider-Man's ear scene. Spider-Man wearing a fireman's hat. Spider-Man buying medicine at the convenient store. Those scenes really took me out of the movie. These scenes were reminiscent of the Tobey McGuire scenes in Spider-Man 3 when he was acting cool. It might play well to the young crowd, but they really are jarring in what is otherwise a serious movie.

I didn't know Harry Osborn was Green Goblin. I always thought it was Norman Osborn. This movie is coming out too close to the original Spider-Man trilogy and I'm having a hard time rectifying what I saw there with what this movie changed as far as Harry and Norman. Grafting on Peter Parker's parents to his origin (his dad's blood was in the spider that bit Peter) just convolutes what was a solid origin. Having all the villains conveniently related to Oscorp lab experiments (like Spider-Man) does not feel right, but that's because with the Spider-Man I read growing up, the villains all had unique back stories and motivations. They were not recruits for Osborn's villain of the month club. I'll admit, I didn't read Ultimate Spider-Man, so if this story is based on that, that's probably why most of these elements were lost on me. Admittedly, these are more my personal taste issues with the movie and could be forgiven if not for the other problems.

And I'll agree with the critics who mention the dumbest scenes in the movie were with the bystanders standing behind barricades in what is essentially a war zone. "Look kids, there is a huge gunfight going on over there. Let's squeeze up to the front and get a better look." I also thought the scene where the two planes avoid the collision was dumb and that entire part of the movie was ill conceived.

This movie felt like the studio grafted the Green Goblin plot onto the Electro story because they didn't want to wait one more movie to introduce the Sinister Six. In many ways, this movie had the same problems as Spider-Man 3 in the first trilogy where the writers were forced to add Venom. That movie would have been better if it just focused on Sandman and this movie would have been better if it just focused on Electro. Cut the Rhino plot, the Green Goblin plot, and add a more realistic motivation for Electro to hate Spider-Man and this could have been a great movie. We also could have benefited from one more outing by Gwen Stacey.

Finally, was Harry Osborne's second in command suppose to be Felicia Hardy?

+1

:bump:

I've officially name this movie "the Kim Kardashian", everyone hates it but people can't stop talking about it

:facepalm:

please update all three threads because people really love to hear how much you hate this movie

I've officially name this movie "the Kim Kardashian", everyone hates it but people can't stop talking about it

please update all three threads because people really love to hear how much you hate this movie

Happy to oblige! :D

Minor point: Andrew Garfield's 30, Emma Stone's 25 -- and could easily pass for 30. Undermines plausibility from the get go when they are supposed to be high school students. I know, I know, it's necessary for continuity's sake, but they take liberties everywhere else, why not at least make them college students?

Bigger point: They spent a fortune on special effects, but is anyone impressed any more by things like scenes of Spidey swinging through the city? It's not Garfield, it's not his stunt double, it's a team of CGI guys spending months laboriously grinding out computer effects. Way past the time when effects can carry a movie; we've all seen it too many times. I want to see a movie, not a video game.

Bottom line: Not sorry I saw it, because it's not entirely a washout ... but you may want to save your money and rent it later. C-

What movie?

-slym

So I finally saw it. Wasn't blown away, but I did not leave the theater mad.

Couple of things I like about this franchise, even though I agree it is poorly executed in general:

Peter makes his own web shooters -- I always thought it was weird in the Raimi version that the webbing came out of his skin. In the original comics, the fact that he made the web shooters was evidence of how smart he is.

Garfield's Spiderman does a good job with the fighting quips.

Overall this movie was bad.

There was good parts and they finally established some chemistry between the characters.

The down parts to the movie was the plot and dumb fighting scenes. There were stupid motivations for the otherwise likeable characters becoming murderers.

Andrew Garfield could never score someone like Emma Stone if he wasn't an actor. Garfield is built like a toothpick. I never pictured Spider-Man as being scrawny.

Personally, I am looking forward to what Frank Miller is going to do as director on his project "A Dame to Kill For", and find out if "Days of Future Past" is as good as they claim Capt. A is.