• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask me anything and get to know me
1 1

409 posts in this topic

I had a post written out but my mobile device went dead. lol

:censored:

Honestly, it's probably because of your age but you're putting the cart before the horse with your venture. .....

....You'll want to rethink this business plan through from beginning to end and in the end the more you do and less you say is usually the most successful approach. Yes, I see the irony in my post! :insane:

So, Batman...are you looking for a Robin?

Honestly, it's probably because of your age but you're putting the cart before the horse with your venture.

First thing I'd do is find a part time job so you can earn money while you decide how to attack your new venture. You're going to need to pay for convention tables, collections if you find them and other possible start up costs.

Then, if you want to actually get into the buying and selling comics you need to cultivate a professional outward image and cultivate a relationship with possible customers. Starting a discussion on a chat forum doesn't cultivate a relationship. You'll need to do something like buy and sell for a year or two to show that you're not a 'flight by night' outfit before you become 'credible' enough for people to trust you with their things. Good luck with people buying from you, let alone trusting you with selling for them.

There have been enough 'flight by night' outfits come through here that people's tolerance for noobs who come here just for the money is pretty low.

You'll need to build a customer / client base. Only way to do that is by dealing with them over time.

You'll probably want to find collections in your local area to sell. Set up at shows to build experience is one way.

You'll need to figure out a better system than having people from the US mail you books to Canada for you to sell them back into the US. There are shipping and brokerage fees, insurance costs, taxes, etc.

Doing stuff like I listed above for a year or two will help you decide if you want to do this or not. Heck, after 2 months you may not even feel like doing this anymore. There's a reason why not everyone does it.

Everyone is inspired at the notion of selling a big book to make the headlines or to collect the big paycheck, but not everyone follows through or gets there. Why? Because it takes more than just wishing you could do it to make it happen.

Many people you're talking to have been selling stuff for years for themselves. I started late but some people reading this thread have been setting up at shows since they were in high school. Many have been on eBay for a decade or longer. Some have grown into part and full time dealers. Others just do it for fun, but regardless they have all put in the work.

From what they all see, there is very little incentive for them to want to ship their books to an unknown person in a different country so that they can give up 20% for very little to no benefit.

You'll want to rethink this business plan through from beginning to end and in the end the more you do and less you say is usually the most successful approach. Yes, I see the irony in my post! :insane:

thanks for the post I do have a part time job and I know I don't want to work min wage for the rest of my life which is which I decided to get into the areas that I know I can make money with! and thanks for the post I'll take that into consideration and also I'll be posting some comics later today!

Honestly, it's probably because of your age but you're putting the cart before the horse with your venture. .....

....You'll want to rethink this business plan through from beginning to end and in the end the more you do and less you say is usually the most successful approach. Yes, I see the irony in my post! :insane:

Eh, no.

Catowman is good enough. :devil:

Eh, no.

hm

I think "Cat OW, MAN!" is probably close to accurate, too....

Eh, no.

hm

I think "Cat OW, MAN!" is probably close to accurate, too....

lol

Honestly, it's probably because of your age but you're putting the cart before the horse with your venture.

First thing I'd do is find a part time job so you can earn money while you decide how to attack your new venture. You're going to need to pay for convention tables, collections if you find them and other possible start up costs.

Then, if you want to actually get into the buying and selling comics you need to cultivate a professional outward image and cultivate a relationship with possible customers. Starting a discussion on a chat forum doesn't cultivate a relationship. You'll need to do something like buy and sell for a year or two to show that you're not a 'flight by night' outfit before you become 'credible' enough for people to trust you with their things. Good luck with people buying from you, let alone trusting you with selling for them.

There have been enough 'flight by night' outfits come through here that people's tolerance for noobs who come here just for the money is pretty low.

You'll need to build a customer / client base. Only way to do that is by dealing with them over time.

You'll probably want to find collections in your local area to sell. Set up at shows to build experience is one way.

You'll need to figure out a better system than having people from the US mail you books to Canada for you to sell them back into the US. There are shipping and brokerage fees, insurance costs, taxes, etc.

Doing stuff like I listed above for a year or two will help you decide if you want to do this or not. Heck, after 2 months you may not even feel like doing this anymore. There's a reason why not everyone does it.

Everyone is inspired at the notion of selling a big book to make the headlines or to collect the big paycheck, but not everyone follows through or gets there. Why? Because it takes more than just wishing you could do it to make it happen.

Many people you're talking to have been selling stuff for years for themselves. I started late but some people reading this thread have been setting up at shows since they were in high school. Many have been on eBay for a decade or longer. Some have grown into part and full time dealers. Others just do it for fun, but regardless they have all put in the work.

From what they all see, there is very little incentive for them to want to ship their books to an unknown person in a different country so that they can give up 20% for very little to no benefit.

You'll want to rethink this business plan through from beginning to end and in the end the more you do and less you say is usually the most successful approach. Yes, I see the irony in my post! :insane:

Some dang good advice right there.

Agreed, a booth at a local con, primarily right by the front door. With a sign that you are taking consignments... best way to get clients. Local. In Person.

hey guys I decided to make this thread because of the previous posts I made with consignments wanted, x-men 1 for sale and so on so I will take the best advice that someone gave me on this forum. I will prove myself to be trustworthy by making transactions with people and also since people don't really know who I am or anything about me so I decided that you can ask me anything to get to know me better!

Ask anything?

How old is your mom and is she hot? :foryou:

my mom's 40 and no she's not hot!

Pic please.....

here's a pic of my mom

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1444459659122525&set=a.1375822405986251.1073741825.100006755131716&type=1&theater

meh, not bad. 3 beers

Man, I gotta hand it to uchiha101 for keeping his cool.

thanks getting angry about something on the internet isn't worth it lol

Now that is good advice.

I'll say it's one of the most constructive pieces of criticism I've gotten here

Agreed, a booth at a local con, primarily right by the front door. With a sign that you are taking consignments... best way to get clients. Local. In Person.

do you think people would want to cosign with me then?

Man, I gotta hand it to uchiha101 for keeping his cool.

thanks getting angry about something on the internet isn't worth it lol

Now that is good advice.

thanks I try

how would you store any consigned comics?

what security measures are taken to protect comics?

what type of insurance would you provide for comics?

what type of education do you have? (photography? marketing? web skills? language skills?)

what experience do you have in consigning comics?

what connections do you have with dealers?

20% after expenses? before? what about taxes? US and Canadian? What about paypal translation fees?

I'm sure you've obviously already thought of all of these things and already answered elsewhere, so if someone could please direct me, I'd appreciate it.

PayPal cooperates with Google now, so translation fees are waived. (thumbs u

do you think people would want to cosign with me then?

1. You have to look the part (and BE the part). If you look unprofessional no one is going to trust you. Do you have a contract written up for consignees to fill out/sign? It should outline the services offered, the role you play, the fees that the customer covers, the fees that you cover... etc.

2. There would need to be a release of liability if you are taking possession of the books, which means they have to be ok with the possibility that you take possession of the books, your house has a flood, they get destroyed and that's that. No reimbursement, no insurance. Or you have to have insurance, and then you have to go thru whatever process insurance requires to add the books to your policy or whatever.

Your best best is to already be set up selling other peoples books. If you have friends/family who will let you sell their books then you can at least show potential customers that you are already doing what you are saying you will do for them. Have a laptop with you where you can show the various online listings you've done for the friend/family clients so they see production.

Have cards/flyers that they can take with them that has your name, business number, business email/website.

and know that even with effort, the odds are this will fail. And its not about you, most business ventures fail.