• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask me anything and get to know me
1 1

409 posts in this topic

how would you store any consigned comics?

what security measures are taken to protect comics?

what type of insurance would you provide for comics?

what type of education do you have? (photography? marketing? web skills? language skills?)

what experience do you have in consigning comics?

what connections do you have with dealers?

20% after expenses? before? what about taxes? US and Canadian? What about paypal translation fees?

I'm sure you've obviously already thought of all of these things and already answered elsewhere, so if someone could please direct me, I'd appreciate it.

PayPal cooperates with Google now, so translation fees are waived. (thumbs u

what are translation fees? I never heard of such a thing do you mean transaction fees?

What's the line on poof vs lock?

Just hope it makes it til Friday...

I still say Roy needs to hire the kid, take him to WW Chicago and how him how a real dealer operates.

that'd be cool but I live in Canada!

I still say Roy needs to hire the kid, take him to WW Chicago and how him how a real dealer operates.

Ah...didn't realize air travel hadn't made it up north...

He starts small by learning the ropes. First he carries the boxes then in a month he is allowed to assist with the setting up and the breakdown.

so who is this Roy person you keep talking about?

Yes, that is how Roy operates. He will how him alright. :baiting::roflmao:

Ah...didn't realize air travel hadn't made it up north...

lol not what I meant I don't have the money to do it is what I should have said!

He starts small by learning the ropes. First he carries the boxes then in a month he is allowed to assist with the setting up and the breakdown.

so who is this Roy person you keep talking about?

young-man-brown-leather-pants-19032047_zpsc2bc56bc.jpg

I had a post written out but my mobile device went dead. lol

:censored:

Honestly, it's probably because of your age but you're putting the cart before the horse with your venture.

First thing I'd do is find a part time job so you can earn money while you decide how to attack your new venture. You're going to need to pay for convention tables, collections if you find them and other possible start up costs.

Then, if you want to actually get into the buying and selling comics you need to cultivate a professional outward image and cultivate a relationship with possible customers. Starting a discussion on a chat forum doesn't cultivate a relationship. You'll need to do something like buy and sell for a year or two to show that you're not a 'flight by night' outfit before you become 'credible' enough for people to trust you with their things. Good luck with people buying from you, let alone trusting you with selling for them.

There have been enough 'flight by night' outfits come through here that people's tolerance for noobs who come here just for the money is pretty low.

You'll need to build a customer / client base. Only way to do that is by dealing with them over time.

You'll probably want to find collections in your local area to sell. Set up at shows to build experience is one way.

You'll need to figure out a better system than having people from the US mail you books to Canada for you to sell them back into the US. There are shipping and brokerage fees, insurance costs, taxes, etc.

Doing stuff like I listed above for a year or two will help you decide if you want to do this or not. Heck, after 2 months you may not even feel like doing this anymore. There's a reason why not everyone does it.

Everyone is inspired at the notion of selling a big book to make the headlines or to collect the big paycheck, but not everyone follows through or gets there. Why? Because it takes more than just wishing you could do it to make it happen.

Many people you're talking to have been selling stuff for years for themselves. I started late but some people reading this thread have been setting up at shows since they were in high school. Many have been on eBay for a decade or longer. Some have grown into part and full time dealers. Others just do it for fun, but regardless they have all put in the work.

From what they all see, there is very little incentive for them to want to ship their books to an unknown person in a different country so that they can give up 20% for very little to no benefit.

You'll want to rethink this business plan through from beginning to end and in the end the more you do and less you say is usually the most successful approach. Yes, I see the irony in my post! :insane:

Some dang good advice right there.

Agreed, a booth at a local con, primarily right by the front door. With a sign that you are taking consignments... best way to get clients. Local. In Person.

do you think people would want to cosign with me then?

I think the question is... if you had any valuable items you wanted to sell, who would YOU want to consign them with? And why? And what kind of person would want to use consignment, and why?

Sounds like you're more of an artistic person, and might not have taken too many business classes yet, so while its not necessary, it might behoove you to take a business class or two to get into the mindset of what it takes to run a business, and what kind of things to think about and look for.

People have given good advice, but the better advice might be to reconsider this as a profession (even a side one).

Lets say I want to consign a $1000 book to you to sell. It has to be packaged, shipped, insured, and sent to Canada. Its gonna get signature confirmation so it'll have to be express, so it'll probably be about $100 (conservative).

Then, you sell it to an American for $1000, lets say $100 for shipping.

So Gross Revenue is $1100.

less 4% for paypal fees (int'l) = $1056

less $100 shipping = $956

less customs fee 5% of $1000 = $906 (total guess on customs fee)

less 20% for your fee (generally off of the sale price) = $706

less 4% paypal fees (int'l) = $677.76

less the $100 I paid to ship to you = $577.76

So if I would use YOU for consignment, I would get LESS than 40% of the realized sale price. I could walk into my local LCS and get 50% and get paid in cash and not get taxed on it and not worry about customs and lost mail and packaging and returns.

*paypal fees are estimates, but about right.

AND what about returns?????

The fact that you didn't haven't already considered the above VERY OBVIOUS example makes it tough and will continue to make it tough for the generally savvy comic folks here to take you seriously.

So what am I saying? While your lack of experience and seemingly lack of business sense APPEARS to be the largest glaring deficiency to your consignment idea, your geography might actually be an even more glaring deficiency. Canada just isn't a large enough market for consignors or consignees, certainly not for someone just starting out who doesn't REGULARLY make trips to the US.

Edited by Revat

Canada just isn't a large enough market for consignors or consignees, certainly not for someone just starting out who doesn't REGULARLY make trips to the US.

this may be the biggest fly in the ointment of your business plan.

Yes, that is how Roy operates. He will how him alright. :baiting::roflmao:

C'mon...no laughing at the Canadians lest we forget Roy's motto:

"One Roy to rule them all,

One Roy to find them,

One Roy to bring them all and in the comics bind them"

Who are they going to watch?