• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask me anything and get to know me
1 1

409 posts in this topic

hey guys I decided to make this thread because of the previous posts I made with consignments wanted, x-men 1 for sale and so on so I will take the best advice that someone gave me on this forum. I will prove myself to be trustworthy by making transactions with people and also since people don't really know who I am or anything about me so I decided that you can ask me anything to get to know me better!

Nothing says trustworthy like starting a thread on an internet board chat room asking people to ask you random pointless questions about your life to gain acceptance.

What a great idea.

I think it's a good idea people will at least get to know me better!

Just as it is a good idea to get to know people from Nigeria with those lottery tickets off the internet right?

tumblr_me23vdZIlv1qes4vwo1_500_zps688d9491.gif

no it wouldn't be good to know Nigerian people because they are scammers, I however am not but because I have nothing to back it up I'll earn my trust here!

And the award for the most racist comment of the thread is......

:golfclap:

Racist....?

I didn't know Nigeria was a race....

hm

how would you store any consigned comics?

what security measures are taken to protect comics?

what type of insurance would you provide for comics?

what type of education do you have? (photography? marketing? web skills? language skills?)

what experience do you have in consigning comics?

what connections do you have with dealers?

20% after expenses? before? what about taxes? US and Canadian? What about paypal translation fees?

I'm sure you've obviously already thought of all of these things and already answered elsewhere, so if someone could please direct me, I'd appreciate it.

:juggle:

Agreed. I think the security/insurance question is the one that still remains to be addressed. I think he's made it clear he doesnt have any specific or unique contacts with dealers or other markets, nor does he have experience. And the education question may be self evident, but I'll let him answer it.

you're right I don't have any contacts but I do have a notable person that I became friends with so that I can learn from him some of you may know him

Rick Whitelock

GAtor,

21 year old noob, who knows little about comics, is dropping your name.

as long as my name is picked back up, I'm good lol

so I was directed to this thread from a gold link, but, truth be told, just can't fathom reading 26 pages...anyone have cliff notes (shrug)

How far over the cliff do ya wanna go? smiley-whacky097.gif

as long as I have a glider or parachute, all the way, I guess ;)

Cliff notes:

Young, ambitious fellow wishes to make it big selling comic books. Lacks business acumen and expertise in comics, BUT compensates with moxy and keeping a cool head. Some snide comments from boardies, but also legitimate, caring advice.

another reason I generally avoid general... to snidey for me (see what I did there)

so I was directed to this thread from a gold link, but, truth be told, just can't fathom reading 26 pages...anyone have cliff notes (shrug)

The OP said you put him up to this and then the mocking began. :popcorn:

I've been mocked by the best of them... :cloud9:

Canada just isn't a large enough market for consignors or consignees, certainly not for someone just starting out who doesn't REGULARLY make trips to the US.

this may be the biggest fly in the ointment of your business plan.

it's one of the factors lol!

Cliff notes:

Young, ambitious fellow wishes to make it big selling comic books. Lacks business acumen and expertise in comics, BUT compensates with moxy and keeping a cool head. Some snide comments from boardies, but also legitimate, caring advice.

thanks right now moxy and a cool head is all I got lol

most of the successful comic dealers that I know, were big time collectors in their youth right on upto present...the love of the medium translated into them wanting to buy/sell comics for a living (or part time)...

it takes time....typically, a LOT of time.... even if you have a TON of money, you still are not guaranteed any success (greg manning comes to mind)...you have to study the market and learn it....plain and simple...there is NO short cut (short of finding that stash of keys someone is selling for pennies on the $)

the real avenue to success is to submerge yourself in the hobby....find your "niche" (no one does everything great, but many do one thing wonderful)....

read the overstreet price guide from cover to cover, study it, learn it... read every thread on these boards (in gold, silver and bronze/copper)....you can largely ignore general, though occasionally there is some "gold" here too...

buy a lot of old overstreet monthly's off ebay and study the past in the articles and the market reports...

follow all the current auction houses quarterly and monthly auctions...look for trends...learn...study....

watch the for sale and WTB sections of these boards...

goto conventions...talk and listen...see what is selling, what is not...what the buzz is about...

don't buy "hype", buy "true and tested"

sure, you can run ads, and maybe get lucky on craigslist or wherever, but if you don't even have basic knowledge, even that might not serve you well...

learn to grade (hit the "can you spare a grade" section)...

start small and work your way up!

know that it is unlikely any established professional needs (or wants) an apprentice... remember, there is no short cut, it is up to you to make it happen

most of the successful comic dealers that I know, were big time collectors in their youth right on upto present...the love of the medium translated into them wanting to buy/sell comics for a living (or part time)...

it takes time....typically, a LOT of time.... even if you have a TON of money, you still are not guaranteed any success (greg manning comes to mind)...you have to study the market and learn it....plain and simple...there is NO short cut (short of finding that stash of keys someone is selling for pennies on the $)

the real avenue to success is to submerge yourself in the hobby....find your "niche" (no one does everything great, but many do one thing wonderful)....

read the overstreet price guide from cover to cover, study it, learn it... read every thread on these boards (in gold, silver and bronze/copper)....you can largely ignore general, though occasionally there is some "gold" here too...

buy a lot of old overstreet monthly's off ebay and study the past in the articles and the market reports...

follow all the current auction houses quarterly and monthly auctions...look for trends...learn...study....

goto conventions...talk and listen...see what is selling, what is not...what the buzz is about...

sure, you can run ads, and maybe get lucky on craigslist or wherever, but if you don't even have basic knowledge, even that might not serve you well...

know that it is unlikely any established professional needs (or wants) an apprentice... remember, there is no short cut, it is up to you to make it happen

when you talk about trends what specifically are you talking about? hot comic book issues? popular comics? true and tested comic books?

when you talk about trends what specifically are you talking about? hot comic book issues? popular comics? true and tested comic books?

probably need to research all of it. Also probably better off going to college and getting a job then diving into this if this is all news to you.

Its one thing if you've been a lifelong comic lover and REALLY into it and have great business sense/training, and/or have some money or access or connections, but to start from scratch at this point in time at this point in your life given your experience AND ESPECIALLY your geographical location, given the relatively modest upside of a 'successful' comic business....

I guess the point is, to be successful in any business, you need some advantages, and you need the opportunities and sense to capitalize on those advantages.

These are what I would view as advantages in consignment:

Inventory size

Inventory Quality

Grading Ability

Restoration Checking ability

Organizational skills

Communication skills

Location - there are a lot of cons on the East Coast and major cities and dense populations within driving distance.

Website Quality

Customer Service

Work Ethic

Intelligence

Knowledge of comics

Business Sense

Personality

Capital

Experience

Connections to buyers and sellers

Salesmanship

Integrity

Common Sense

Love of Comics

At the minimum maybe get a part time job at a comic book shop, see if you even like it or have some aptitude? (customer service ain't for everybody) THEN maybe see if you can help with the shop's consignments, see how its done.

I need to sell a high grade copy of Detective Comics 27, but am unsure how to proceed. Boardies, which company or person should I turn to for consignment?

I choose comic connect

Smart kid :golfclap:

all of the above and then some....

before I would ask any more questions, I would take the advice and study.... must easier to understand the hobby if you have some knowledge....use the search function or google...

no one wants to (or will ) spoon feed you the info.... folks get paid to consult...information can be obtained, but you must work for it (thumbs u

After reading everything here, I have to say I admire the fact that he wants to work and start a business. I wish more kids felt that way.

Good luck and keep working hard. I only recommend that you listen to the genuine advice you got from those that know the craft and try the avenues they recommended.

Edited by CAHokie

before I would ask any more questions, I would take the advice and study.... must easier to understand the hobby if you have some knowledge....use the search function or google...

no one wants to (or will ) spoon feed you the info.... folks get paid to consult...information can be obtained, but you must work for it (thumbs u

Rick, for the next 12 months can you post any hot comic books and any trends you see cropping up as examples? It would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

After reading everything here, I have to say I admire the fact that he wants to work and start a business. I wish more kids felt that way. I feel like something is just off here though, so I don't want to pile on the guy.

Good luck and keep working hard. I only recommend that you listen to the genuine advice you got from those that know the craft and try the avenues they recommended.

haha I feel the opposite. I wish more kids would think it through before starting something up. Remember, the OP didn't come here looking for information, he's advertising his consignment business. His temperament seems reasonable and accepting criticism and advice are very valuable skills, but he has shown that he hasn't really done ANY work yet.

I do feel the world needs more young people with entrepreneurial goals, but in today's world EVERYONE has access to all kinds of information, so to start anything without proper research smells at worst like a scam, and at best, a pleasant kid who doesn't get it and has already ruined his chances at ever taking a consignment on these boards.

Rick, for the next 12 months can you post any hot comic books and any trends you see cropping up as examples? It would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Can you please provide any knowledge which helps you gain a competitive advantage to a uniformed stranger in Canada and the general public as well, many of whom are (or would like to be) your direct competitor in a limited market? And please do it promptly and for free (well technically it will probably provide sales at some point for a competitor that might have went to you, so you're actually paying for it).

After reading everything here, I have to say I admire the fact that he wants to work and start a business. I wish more kids felt that way. I feel like something is just off here though, so I don't want to pile on the guy.

thanks I will take people advice give me here, what do you think is off about me?