• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Thread "The Flash" TV Show SPOILER-FILLED
4 4

2,574 posts in this topic

Love the show and suspension of disbelief and all, but, it really irks me when you have this character that moves so fast, the majority of his adversaries could not even see him-- yet, they can somehow reach out and grab him, or aim bolts/weapons at him, and cripple him.

At least with kryptonite as an achilles heel, we can somewhat believe when characters utilizing it are able to plausibly provide a challenge to our hero.

Yeah, I find the writing on the show is hit and miss. They do a lot of little things very well- like the new Wells, or Zoom's personalities. I loved watching Zoom parade Barry around to the masses. I enjoy the show by focusing on the little things.

Some stuff- unfortunately some of the bigger things- are borderline retarded. Like another poster mentioned- RF erased from existence but leaving his acts behind (like Barrys moms death). If he never existed, all the ramifications should be gone. The "singularity" nonsense is another imo.

Like you said- a couple episodes ago Flash vs Dr Light was completely frustrating in its bad writing. You have to wonder how an entire group of writers/producer/director could miss this. Neither Jay nor Barry could figure out how to beat her? Before she could raise her hand one cm towards Barry, he could easily have run back and around the train, coming up behind her and stopping her. There is suspension of disbelief (even taking it less serious due to being a "comic book show") and then there is just really poor writing. I'm sure (for a team of people whos job it is to do this)- they could have come up with a more plausible way to handle that fight while showcasing Dr Lights powers/danger.

I expected Dr Zoom to be a male, but what do I know;)

She just didn't fit the part for me.

But ZOOM, he was scary.

The Flash Ratings Pushing The CW Past Other Networks

The Flash episode “Enter Zoom” scored 1.5/5 in 18-49 and 3.6 million viewers overall in its 8 p.m. timeslot, besting both ABC and Fox’s comedy blocks. The episode matched The Flash’sseason highs in the both 18-49 and men 18-49 (1.8/6) demographics, and ranked first in its hour in men 18-34 (1.3/6) and second in 18-34 (1.1/5).

iZombie followed The Flash with 1.4 million viewers overall and a season high in adults 18-34 (0.7/3) and in men 18-34 (0.7/3).

:applause:

Love the show and suspension of disbelief and all, but, it really irks me when you have this character that moves so fast, the majority of his adversaries could not even see him-- yet, they can somehow reach out and grab him, or aim bolts/weapons at him, and cripple him.

At least with kryptonite as an achilles heel, we can somewhat believe when characters utilizing it are able to plausibly provide a challenge to our hero.

Yeah, I find the writing on the show is hit and miss. They do a lot of little things very well- like the new Wells, or Zoom's personalities. I loved watching Zoom parade Barry around to the masses. I enjoy the show by focusing on the little things.

Some stuff- unfortunately some of the bigger things- are borderline retarded. Like another poster mentioned- RF erased from existence but leaving his acts behind (like Barrys moms death). If he never existed, all the ramifications should be gone. The "singularity" nonsense is another imo.

Like you said- a couple episodes ago Flash vs Dr Light was completely frustrating in its bad writing. You have to wonder how an entire group of writers/producer/director could miss this. Neither Jay nor Barry could figure out how to beat her? Before she could raise her hand one cm towards Barry, he could easily have run back and around the train, coming up behind her and stopping her. There is suspension of disbelief (even taking it less serious due to being a "comic book show") and then there is just really poor writing. I'm sure (for a team of people whos job it is to do this)- they could have come up with a more plausible way to handle that fight while showcasing Dr Lights powers/danger.

I too share some of your frustrations - but it's still my favorite show next to Arrow. I do wish they'd make Barry a bit more formidable of a fighter and have him start to really exploit the powers and abilities the Flash had back in the comics. The plot holes are frustrating but I still revel in seeing so many wonderful superheroes and villains brought to life. Yay Grodd!!!!

Precisely what I thought when I saw him do that - yay, they're finally getting it!

I also thought it was cool how Zoom dragged him around like a rag doll.

It shows they can portray a powerful speedster when they want to!

Precisely what I thought when I saw him do that - yay, they're finally getting it!

I also thought it was cool how Zoom dragged him around like a rag doll.

It shows they can portray a powerful speedster when they want to!

Ya when the showed zoom flying down the street in slow mo, one hand on Barry just wiping him around

zoom-the-flash-thecw.jpg

true-i-d-of-zoom-henry-allen-704424.jpg

Do the eyes match?

hm

Whether it's JWS or not, Zoom is likely an actor we've seen before (I'm guessing that's why we see none of his face)

Could it be an Earth-two Eddie?

hm

This is a good possibility , but it wouldn't be Barry ,cisco, snow or whoever was in star labs when zoom was there.

Also would Barry's mom be alive on earth 2 ? I can only imagine right

Edited by Jking3437

Great summary of the last episode. And even better, the reporter is a fanboy as he talks throughout the article about screaming during the Zoom-Flash fight scene.

'The Flash' recap: The fastest man alive, no longer

Flash Faves:

• "My Jesse, always so quick." They are really not being subtle with the superhero names, are they?
  • Is Oliver Queen ... dead in Earth-2?
  • Patty and Barry are cute, but they've gotten together so quickly (and are such an obvious way to appease us over the fact that Felicity x Barry never happened), that I wonder what the show can do next with their relationship other than put Patty in life-or-death situations. Or just continually leave her in the dark. Because that always works out.
  • So Barry tells literally everyone his secret identity except for Iris -- who has to work it out for herself? Barry...
  • LIGHTNING BENDING.
  • Freefall fight: It's falling with style.
  • I audibly gasped in horror every five seconds during that Zoom/Barry fight scene, I swear to god. The show never felt like it had real consequences before, but in the last 10 minutes of the episode, it achieved just that.
  • Despite the awfulness that has befallen Barry, I really love the parallel of seeing Barry in a wheelchair after Harrison's whole stint in the first season.

So now that Zoom has been shot at close range with speed-dampening serum, does that mean he is now less of a threat for an extended period?

So now that Zoom has been shot at close range with speed-dampening serum, does that mean he is now less of a threat for an extended period?

First off, I thought THIS was a pretty neat tidbit to share:

Professor Zoom appears in Batman: The Brave and the Bold, voiced by John Wesley Shipp. In the episode "Requiem for a Scarlet Speedster!".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eobard_Thawne#Powers_and_abilities

Not sure that is a definitive answer to the identity of Zoom as this season's villain however, but I've seen so many tips of the hat to fans through this show it's not unreasonable to think they'd use Shipp in this capacity. Nonetheless, very cool.

But in answer to your original question regarding the speed-dampening serum:

Unlike other speedsters, Zoom's abilities lie not in speed but manipulation of time. For this reason he appears to be faster than The Flash and untouchable. This is betrayed in his speech patterns which ebb and flow at different speeds, almost entirely at random. His trademark attack is to snap his fingers creating a shockwave not just in space but across time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse-Flash#Zoom

Zoom can alter time relative to himself, as opposed to using the Speed Force like most of the DC Universe speedsters do. He can apparently use this ability to move at "speeds" rivaling those of even Wally West, and usually "faster" than the speeds that even Wally can muster in most cases. Rather than actually time traveling, Zoom is controlling the speed at which time flows around him, allowing him to go faster or slower in time than everyone around him. Since Zoom is not actually moving at superspeed (rather, he is greatly slowing down time relative to himself, and can make himself so "fast" that even most of the Flashes look to him to be moving in slow motion), the temporal nature of his speed allows him to avoid the usual problems encountered by other Flash-type speedsters (friction, seeing and hearing at such near-light speeds, et al.), whose automatic and unconscious use of the Speed Force overcomes those problems. As he is moving at a normal velocity, and the rest of the world is "slow", those hindrances simply do not affect him. This aspect also means that he is unable to become intangible like other speedsters can by vibrating their molecules at certain frequencies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_%28comics%29#Powers_and_abilities