• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,336 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Jerry’s collection is something special to me. Folklore has it that he bought a full EC run from Gary Arlington when he got his first royalty check. 

The collection was broken up by genre and sold at a local auction house a few years ago along with a bunch of his personal effects. They went pretty reasonable. I only heard about it a day later from a friend who was there to buy the other stuff. 

They were mostly lower grades as Jerry just wanted to read them. Each lot apparently went to a different bidder. I know the guy that got the humor group. Oddly, there was the run of Piracy, some New Direction runs and Crime Patrol #15 & 16 in that lot. 

He was cool enough to sell me a few of my favorite MADs and Panics. 

The only other run I have seen come to market is the Crime run and brought some stiff prices on Ebay a while ago. 

Kind of weird. My friend wanted to get them CGC graded as a “collection” and they wouldn’t do it. Even with impeccable providence. The other company was more than happy to do so. Probably because Steve is such a Deadhead. You know he got a few. 

Nice to have ECs from famous collectors. I have some from Jerry Weist, Johnny Craig, Gary Arlington, Don & Maggie, Nick Cage and of course Gaines. 

That's the story I heard too. He supposedly had $30,000 in comicbooks when he died and that was now almost 26 years ago. It took a while for Deborah and his daughters to settle his estate. I'm blessed to have any copy from his collection. 

You got to wonder why some collections, outside of established pedigrees, will be noted and others will not.

"Goes to show, you don't ever know..."

16 hours ago, grendelbo said:

That's the story I heard too. He supposedly had $30,000 in comicbooks when he died and that was now almost 26 years ago. It took a while for Deborah and his daughters to settle his estate. I'm blessed to have any copy from his collection. 

You got to wonder why some collections, outside of established pedigrees, will be noted and others will not.

"Goes to show, you don't ever know..."

I wonder what other books he had? We know about the ECs. I suspect he had some UGs and maybe MAD. I thought I remember seeing some UG lots in the auction. I don’t see him as the superhero type.

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I wonder what other books he had? We know about the ECs. I suspect he had some UGs and maybe MAD. I thought I remember seeing some UG lots in the auction. I don’t see him as the superhero type.

Garcia’s comics from Bonham’s 2019 auction archive

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25922/#/aa0=1&MR0_length=96&w0=list&m0=0

1997 appraisal value was $30000.

Edited by jpepx78

On 6/5/2021 at 8:31 AM, Robot Man said:

Nice to have ECs from famous collectors. I have some from Jerry Weist, Johnny Craig, Gary Arlington, Don & Maggie, Nick Cage and of course Gaines. 

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Jerry Weist famous for? I think I have a book from his collection without knowing about him.

50 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Jerry was a well known, very connected comic collector and dealer. Had a legendary east coast shop and was instrumental in bringing comics to the forefront auction wise through Sotheby’s auctions. He was also instrumental in the 1-10 grading scale. Published the legendary EC fanzine Squa Tront. And a hell of a nice guy and passionate comic lover. 

Did I miss anything?

Wasn't he also an author who wrote a biography of Ray Bradbury among other books??

On 6/1/2021 at 5:02 AM, piper said:

That’s a bit of a relief 😅.

I never knew who he was but bought a book from him about 10 or so years ago, a personal grail for me, a Brave and the Bold #1 (nice copy) I threw a Hail Mary bid in and won it. He took a long time to ship the book so I called him and he told me he had been sick, we then went on to talk for over an hour about everything under the sun! Edgar Rice Burroughs, Sci-Fi, comics…super nice guy. I was so happy to have that conversation with him. 

15 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Wasn't he also an author who wrote a biography of Ray Bradbury among other books??

yes, I bought it and it was very great, I think it is called the" Bradbury: An illustrated life"...if you can get a copy of that, you will NOT  be disappointed.

Edited by Mmehdy

58 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

yes, I bought it and it was very great, I think it is called the" Bradbury: An illustrated life"...if you can get a copy of that, you will be disappointed.

Won’t be disappointed?