• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

Thread needs a bump....

I've been debating for awhile whether to include the EC annuals in my quest. Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of reprints. But, If if I'm going to be a completist, I'm going to be a completist :sumo:

So, ultimately the answer is a foregone conclusion...not sure why I've been fighting it...

I just put this one in the box this week...

wsfannual1_f.jpg

Technically, they aren't reprints. They were made up of unsold copies from the year on the annual. Covers are all new. I can't imagine being able to buy these for 25 cents. A lot of great reading. Any old timers (even older than me) that bought these new? Did they sell on the stands or were they mail order only?

Jump in the annual pool. The waters fine!

Thread needs a bump....

I've been debating for awhile whether to include the EC annuals in my quest. Generally speaking, I'm not a big fan of reprints. But, If if I'm going to be a completist, I'm going to be a completist :sumo:

So, ultimately the answer is a foregone conclusion...not sure why I've been fighting it...

wsfannual1_f.jpg

The annuals aren't technically reprints; first off, they have unique cover illustrations, and secondly, the contents are simply remaindered original 32 page issues. Perhaps redundant would be a more accurate term.

So you're safe from being accused of collecting reprints...:wink:

Thread needs a bump....

wsfannual1_f.jpg

Love that cover Ed. Annual or not, it's still EC. :luhv:

The annuals aren't technically reprints; first off, they have unique cover illustrations, and secondly, the contents are simply remaindered original 32 page issues. Perhaps redundant would be a more accurate term.

So you're safe from being accused of collecting reprints...:wink:

Of course...good technical distinction. Was a bit loose with my "reprint" language...you know what I'm saying, though... ;)

And, I agree...the unique covers are worth the price of admission.

Thread needs a bump....

The contents differ so you can't be a true completest without obtaining all of the variations! :insane:

Thread needs a bump....

The contents differ so you can't be a true completest without obtaining all of the variations! :insane:

I've wondered why CGC doesn't put the contents on the label. Seems to be an important (or at least interesting) piece of information that's not available once the book is entombed.

Thread needs a bump....

I've wondered why CGC doesn't put the contents on the label. Seems to be an important (or at least interesting) piece of information that's not available once the book is entombed.

From what I've seen, CGC's only information on a book's interior is the shade of the pages, or if it's missing any. Have they ever commented on the story contents of any book?

Thread needs a bump....

The ambiguity here can be significant when one of these annuals made up of reprints sometimes contains a key book or a book with art by an important artist ... and sometimes doesn't.

Metro had a raw St John annual that they were advertising as containing Baker art. I asked them to check the book and their copy didn't include the Baker issue. Didn't stop them from continuing to list the book on their Web site as having Baker art. :D

I also wouldn't be surprised if CGC would include the Baker notation on the label if someone bought the Metro copy and had it slabbed. hm

An EC completist will have to chase the the elusive Tales of Terror Annual #1. No Gaines File Copies of Tales of Terror Annual #1. Even the late EC super fan, Gary Arlington, did not own a copy. One of the last times that I saw Gary was at WonderCon in SF asking every dealer whether they had a copy for sale.

An EC completist will have to chase the the elusive Tales of Terror Annual #1.

Indeed...and the Shock Illustrated #3 :facepalm:

Shock Illustrated 3 is probably a little easier to find than the Tales of Terror Annual 1.

I like these EC "reprints". I have never owned a Shock Illustrated or even had an opportunity to buy one. I have seen a friend's copy though. I would think the SI would be rarer. Wasn't there only a dozen or so bound by the publisher and the rest scrapped? The TOT annuals were printed and distributed. I can't account for their rarity. How did you obtain them? Were they available on the stands or did you have to order them through the mail only? I suspect that most of the remaining copies are in the hands of collectors who like me, would never part with them.

Here is mine again. If these are rare, this must be a doosey. It has 3 first issues: Crypt of Terror, Haunt of Fear and Tales from the Crypt and the second issue of Weird Science.

comtalesofterror1_zpsdmoluql6.jpg

It is interesting how perception creates our reality. I have had a couple of opportunities to buy copies Tales of Terror Annual #1 but have only ever owned one once. On the other hand I have sold two or three copies of Shock Illustrated #3 and we just got another one, fvf, in (had it for sale at C2E2). I've always heard that the Shock is very rare, and whenever I have had one it has elicited many oohs and aahs, but for whatever reason I've been in the right place/right time to get them so they haven't seemed that rare to me. The Tales of Terror Annual 1 has been a super tough book for me to acquire so it seems rarer to me. But you are right, logically speaking it should be at least a little more available.