• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,319 posts in this topic

Shock 3 and 9 were my two favorites from that series.

Two different artists doing a take on the same theme: A guy injured and/or trapped in rugged terrain/environment with a wild animal(s) looming with the threat of being eaten alive. I think it was Feldstein who did #9.

Two different artists doing a take on the same theme: A guy injured and/or trapped in rugged terrain/environment with a wild animal(s) looming with the threat of being eaten alive. I think it was Feldstein who did #9.

Mine too, and yes Feldstein.

Spokane:

8cb5d64b-7105-4094-be40-17e1fc8fbf11_zps65vocd2f.jpg

I got back Two-Fisted Tales #30 from CGC, featuring one of my all-time favorite Jack Davis covers:

Best Jack Davis cover? I would have to vote for MAD #2 but his one is a very close second...

Just got that one back from CGC as well... That cover has the most unusual composition, with the baseball player's body all contorted and making a circular shape around the center where the "evil eye" is. Then if you look more closely, there's so much weird background stuff going on with the other people in the crowd, which registers almost subliminally. Also, I don't know if this is Jack Davis's design or if some of it is due to the colorist (Marie Severin?), but the way some colors are bright and others are muted gives the whole thing an almost 3-D effect. The same is the case with Two-Fisted Tales #30, which has the most dramatic lighting (or I should say backlighting) of any comic I can think of.

I remember reading the "Nostalgic Mad" reprints as a kid, which were featured in the Mad Super Specials for several issues, and being enjoyably creeped out by the dark Davis and Kurtzman artwork of those early covers.

(Mad #27, while technically not a comic book but a comic magazine, is also a contender for favorite Jack Davis cover.)

154510.jpg.e5f794ab3fb2bfae49de536f45c6dcb2.jpg

Spokane:

Beautiful copies!

In my mind the next version of the theme would have been a guy who went fishing at a river in a dense green forest, who somehow managed to get his foot wedged between two large rocks and you see the fishing gear on the ground nearby, the rod on the ground, some salmon jumping out of the water and to the right a large Kodiak bear or grizzly standing up with massive teeth roaring and menacing the guy.

Spokane:

I remember getting that book in a pile of EC's from my uncle as a 10 year old kid. I had to hide them from my mom because she said they would give me nightmares and tear them up when she caught me with one. I solved that by putting them up in the tree house where I knew she wouldn't go.

For the most part she was wrong except for this one. That last Feldstein story where the vulture plucks out his eyeball because he was dead really shook me for some reason. Feldstein really knew how to shake up this 10 year old.

I got back Two-Fisted Tales #30 from CGC, featuring one of my all-time favorite Jack Davis covers:

Best Jack Davis cover? I would have to vote for MAD #2 but his one is a very close second...

Just got that one back from CGC as well... That cover has the most unusual composition, with the baseball player's body all contorted and making a circular shape around the center where the "evil eye" is. Then if you look more closely, there's so much weird background stuff going on with the other people in the crowd, which registers almost subliminally. Also, I don't know if this is Jack Davis's design or if some of it is due to the colorist (Marie Severin?), but the way some colors are bright and others are muted gives the whole thing an almost 3-D effect. The same is the case with Two-Fisted Tales #30, which has the most dramatic lighting (or I should say backlighting) of any comic I can think of.

I remember reading the "Nostalgic Mad" reprints as a kid, which were featured in the Mad Super Specials for several issues, and being enjoyably creeped out by the dark Davis and Kurtzman artwork of those early covers.

(Mad #27, while technically not a comic book but a comic magazine, is also a contender for favorite Jack Davis cover.)

Yeah MAD #27 is classic too. Both covers are so full of detail. You can look at them forever. Kind of like Tom Bunk in present day MAD.

I like the fact that all your EC's are raw. EC collectors like to read their books. I've got a couple Gaines slabbed books and a couple Gaines raw. I've read all mine several times.

Yeah, we're on the same page. I totally understand and respect those collectors who go (sometimes exclusively) for slabbed EC ultra high-grades/Gaines, they are such beautiful books.

With EC reprints being readily available in a variety of formats, there's no shortage of opportunities to read stories.

But nothing beats handling the originals. Plus, I prefer the way a comic looks in a mylar when compared to a slab.