• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

My first EC was a Two-Fisted Tales, and I was hooked instantly!

Still my favorite title of the bunch!

My first was a coverless copy of Shock SS 14, with the same impact!

My first EC bought at a flea market in the early 80's...and I still have it! :acclaim:

TalesFromTheCrypt41.jpg

My first EC was a Two-Fisted Tales, and I was hooked instantly!

Still my favorite title of the bunch!

My first was a coverless copy of Shock SS 14, with the same impact!

My first EC bought at a flea market in the early 80's...and I still have it! :acclaim:

TalesFromTheCrypt41.jpg

That's a great starter book! :applause:

EC's were my very first comics - I brokered a deal circa 1979 between a buddy and a seller who had a complete EC collection. My commission was the worst condition books in the lot, some New Trends and Frontlines. Read 'em, loved 'em, still have some of them.

You never forget your first...

For me it happened at Geppi's Comic World in Washington DC in the early 80s on a trip with my dad. As a side note I also saw a copy of Action #3, which was incredible enough, but then there were the ECs that I bought: Crime Suspense 4, Haunt 13, Vault 31, and Weird Science 15. I was hooked.

Mine was of course MAD #9 bought at Cherokee bookstore as a kid. My first was a small pile my uncle gave me. Shock Suspenstories #9 sticks out for the story "Carrion Death" which gave me nightmares but I couldn't stop reading it. The rest as they say is history.

A few years ago I started a reader set fair to vg. I'm a little over half done. I'm in no hurry. I keep them into-bagged in piles on a shelf in the closet.

My introduction to EC was the book Horror Comics of the 1950's, which my father gave me as a Christmas gift when I was 11 years old. He loved EC when he was a kid, so he passed the love on to me. I never saw comics like these before. Even the Warren mags paled in comparison. My first actual EC comic was Vault of Horror 32, which I bought for six bucks from Comic Investments in northeast Philly. It was a rag, but it was an incredible read.

Probably the first comic I ever read, loved, and collected, was DC's Plop! in the mid '70's, shortly after passing the age of ten. I didn't realize it then, but that comic was steeped in EC tradition. Edited by Joe Orlando, art by Wood, Wolverton, Aragones, George Evans even did some panel gags, Wrightson did a couple stories in a Ghastly Ingels style... and the stories were told by three Ghoulunatic caricatures (Cain, Abel, and Eve) who were always bickering over which one of them told the scariest stories. I love that book, still to this day.

My first EC came around in about 1981. It was an original Crypt #34. Suddenly the whole Plop! thing made sense to me.

But I was always more of a science fiction nut, and not long after that I got my hands on an original Weird Fantasy #21. Reading that book was an absolutely fascinating experience. Up to that point I'd read articles about the legend of EC, and it was the sci fi I was really looking forward to discovering. I don't know why I never went out and bought some of the East Coast reprints, which I was certainly aware of. But I'm glad I didn't, and that my first EC reads were from original books. Maybe that's why I avoided the reprints. I'll never forget reading Weird Fantasy #21 for the first time.

Plop was the only DC in an otherwise strictly Marvel only regimen as a kid.

When I reassembled a run back in the early 90s, my comic collecting friends really gave me about it!

Yep, same here. Apart from Plop! and Swamp Thing, I've never really gotten into DC.

Here's something different...

Rec'd this book in the mail the other day. The seller provided full disclosure, the de-slabbed label, and the Gaines certificate - I couldn't be happier with the deal.

Anyway, there's slight color-touch at the top staple (which shows some minimal wear). It looks like someone took a black pen and tried to reconnect the black line that runs the length of the spine.

I can't imagine for the life of me why someone would attempt to restore a Gaines copy, never having heard of such a thing before.. (shrug)

The book looks absolutely beautiful in hand.

I'm thrilled to have a GFC of Shock 13 as I figured I'd never have an opportunity to own one. Sure it has slight c/t, but for the price paid I am very, very happy with it!

111c26fc-2729-47a5-88a9-13b3cdd77450_zpshxkvafly.jpg

seems familiar... got this in the selling forum just a few days ago? You're Lucky I am more a marvel guy I saw it first! I think I saw it before it sold anyways. Nice book I hope to own a file copy someday.

Rec'd this book in the mail the other day. The seller provided full disclosure, the de-slabbed label, and the Gaines certificate - I couldn't be happier with the deal.

Anyway, there's slight color-touch at the top staple (which shows some minimal wear). It looks like someone took a black pen and tried to reconnect the black line that runs the length of the spine.

I can't imagine for the life of me why someone would attempt to restore a Gaines copy, never having heard of such a thing before.. (shrug)

I'm thrilled to have a GFC of Shock 13 as I figured I'd never have an opportunity to own one. Sure it has slight c/t, but for the price paid I am very, very happy with it!

That is one sweet looking GFC. Congrats :)

:applause: Great looking book!