• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

Older guy barely knows how to use a cell phone. Real old school. Has a massive GA collection. He's been doing it since the early 1960's. I've advised him what to do with them once the time comes. There will be a LOT of excitement when his collection becomes available. In the mean time, he's my own private local source...

Sell them to me? :wishluck:

A recent trade with a local guy. Traded my under copy plus a couple of non descript Atlas mid grade horror dupes. This guy will only trade. But to my benefit, he is a quantity over quality guy.

That comic wants to be graded...

No it doesn't. If it was, it would be of no good to me. Besides, I think it likes that pretty mylar that it can breathe in.

Older guy barely knows how to use a cell phone. Real old school. Has a massive GA collection. He's been doing it since the early 1960's. I've advised him what to do with them once the time comes. There will be a LOT of excitement when his collection becomes available. In the mean time, he's my own private local source...

Sorry he has no Bakers...

Sorry he has no Bakers...

A "massive collection" and no Bakers?! :cry:

EC comics really are the best comics ever made...... they don't have the superheroes but they just shine,,,,, all of them..... not just the horror and sci-fi.... books like Piracy, Valor, the War titles, Mad...... there's something for everyone and Fine or less can be very reasonable. Gotta love 'em....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

A recent trade with a local guy. Traded my under copy plus a couple of non descript Atlas mid grade horror dupes. This guy will only trade. But to my benefit, he is a quantity over quality guy.

No it doesn't. If it was, it would be of no good to me.

+1,000!

+1,000!

I thoroughly enjoyed deslabbing my Weird Science 20...... as beautiful as the cover may be, there's nothing quite like paging through THAT book :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

+1,000!

:idea:

161185.jpg.5e722b0e0a02be662196eb4e989a980d.jpg

+1,000!

I never could settle for just reading reprints. The look and feel of the original is always superior.

+1,000!

I never could settle for just reading reprints. The look and feel of the original is always superior.

Exactly!

IMO, the value of a reprint is to determine if the real deal is a good enough read in order to justify the monetary outlay. And I've got every EC reprint for TFTC, VOH, HOF, WS, WF, WSF, SSS. and CSS.

I have all of the EC reprints. Love 'em. However, nothing-absolutely nothing-can come close to the feel of opening up a 63 year comic, having the sensory experience of the smell, the feel of the paper, and knowing that others also have enjoyed it over the years.

As a side note, I'm not against slabbing, but I've never sent a book in. I own a few CGC books, mostly higher grade or pedigree books, but I can honestly say that I have read every unslabbed comic book that I've ever owned. And it's awesome.

Edited by IngelsFan

I can honestly say that I have read every unslabbed comic book that I've ever owned. And it's awesome.
:headbang:

Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of newsprint in the morning

I have all of the EC reprints. Love 'em. However, nothing-absolutely nothing-can come close to the feel of opening up a 63 year comic, having the sensory experience of the smell, the feel of the paper, and knowing that others also have enjoyed it over the years.

You said it.

Mad_001_zpsea115588.jpg

I've shown this one before, it's obviously trashed. But I've had it for over 20 years, and it's one of the first two precode keys I ever got. And to this day I remember the sheer weight of history I felt in my hand when I first got to read it. As wonderful as reading a reprint or a scan is- and thanks to the internet and the current age of reprints, I've gotten to read more golden age comics that I ever would have believed possible when I first got that Mad- there is NOTHING that compares to having the original book in your hand, and the ability to read the exact same book somebody bought off the rack new back when it came out.

I'm with all of you -- I love reading the original comics. However, when I know the comic in my hands is worth $200 to $1,000 or whatever, I can't fully relax and enjoy the experience in an unfiltered way. Give me a decent reprint and can read it the way it was meant to be read: At night, falling asleep, finally collapsing with the pages turned out and my drooling face smashed into them.

I'm with all of you -- I love reading the original comics. However, when I know the comic in my hands is worth $200 to $1,000 or whatever, I can't fully relax and enjoy the experience in an unfiltered way. Give me a decent reprint and can read it the way it was meant to be read: At night, falling asleep, finally collapsing with the pages turned out and my drooling face smashed into them.

Everyone is correct. :) There's nothing like enjoying a vintage comic with the texture of the paper, the smell of the pages, and the ads! Down to the last obscure offering of new and exciting television banks. However, generally collectors try to read their vintage books carefully, almost certainly more carefully than people tended to do when they were new. So when you feel like falling asleep on your book -- reprints are the way to go!

I'm with you de-slabbers! I read my first non-reprint EC last year, and it doesn't compare! The reprints are for kids in case they get peanut butter and jam on their fingers.

I never read any of the EC war books before, used to only collect the horror and scifi reprints as a kid, so when I spotted this last weekend at an LCS and the price was right I had to have it! Great read! There was even a medieval Valor tale in there (never read Valor or Piracy either). Would have never known if I didn't open it up.

shackbrowseUpload_fgtojlj2f8_ly0likz75n.jpg

Edited by Couchy81

I'm with you de-slabbers! I read my first non-reprint EC last year, and it doesn't compare! The reprints are for kids in case they get peanut butter and jam on their fingers.

I never read any of the EC war books before, used to only collect the horror and scifi reprints as a kid, so when I spotted this last weekend at an LCS and the price was right I had to have it! Great read! There was even a medieval Valor tale in there (never read Valor or Piracy either). Would have never known if I didn't open it up.

.... Piracy and Valor are fantastic. Seek them out. GOD BLESS...

.... Piracy and Valor are fantastic. Seek them out. GOD BLESS...

Of the two, I'd say Piracy is the consistently better read. I was pleasantly surprised to find some non-swords and arrrr stories in there. There's a U-boat story in #3 that I especially like.