• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage August Auction

301 posts in this topic

Avengers 72 cover at 70k (83k+ with the juice) at the close of internet bidding. I track the John Buscema market, but not the Sal Buscema market and this seems like a huge number to me. After the surprisingly large number of that Buscema/Palmer Avengers splash at the last Heritage auction, I wonder if there is some investor speculation going on with the Avengers art market? Don't know if the Avengers film and the continued success with the Marvel brand at the box office is driving this, but something is going on.

Scott

Avengers 72 cover at 70k (83k+ with the juice) at the close of internet bidding. I track the John Buscema market, but not the Sal Buscema market and this seems like a huge number to me. After the surprisingly large number of that Buscema/Palmer Avengers splash at the last Heritage auction, I wonder if there is some investor speculation going on with the Avengers art market? Don't know if the Avengers film and the continued success with the Marvel brand at the box office is driving this, but something is going on.

Scott

So you've seen the current price on the Buscema ASM splash? I don't know how much of the splash was done by John or Jim, but man, that's pretty steep already! (worship)

Some of these prices are crazy. The Avengers cover seems the most glaring "wtf" moment but the Miller Spider-Man cover is certainly heading up there.

That Miller cover is special. Visually, its a striking image that would look great beside the Miller DD 188 cover, and I think its the 1st time Spidey battle Jack O' Lantern, who later figured prominently in some great Spidey/Hobgoblin storylines when he took over the mantle of the Hobgoblin, beginning with ASM 289.

It seems like we've had more and more cases of "early price discovery" go on at Heritage.... with crickets chirping for certain high profile lots during the live auction. For all we know, the final bids on those items have already been placed.

Avengers #72 cover shows $89.6k with BP. Not to say the cover isn't very nice (and the inclusion of Captain Marvel is a plus), but with all due respect to those bidders, that is just WTF on a few levels.

I believe this is only the second Sal Buscema regular Avengers cover ever auctioned by HA so maybe some bidders who mainly get access to the market through HA (like some non-US bidders) are putting in big bids, and maybe others may be more interested in Avengers pieces (either for their own collection or for investment) because of the films or maybe some are reacting to seeing that John Buscema Avengers bump--but STILL! It's all a bit ??? and :screwy:

Avengers #72 cover shows $89.6k with BP. Not to say the cover isn't very nice (and the inclusion of Captain Marvel is a plus), but with all due respect to those bidders, that is just WTF on a few levels.

I believe this is only the second Sal Buscema regular Avengers cover ever auctioned by HA so maybe some bidders who mainly get access to the market through HA (like some non-US bidders) are putting in big bids, and maybe others may be more interested in Avengers pieces (either for their own collection or for investment) because of the films or maybe some are reacting to seeing that John Buscema Avengers bump--but STILL! It's all a bit ??? and :screwy:

This is admittedly tortured logic, but let me run this mosaic of facts/opinions by you:

1. Image/content is becoming a more important value driver while artist name and aesthetics, while obviously still very important, are becoming relatively less so. Case in point: that Hulk #180 page. Or, in this case, a very nice Sal Avengers cover.

2. Movie hype/mania is also energizing the collecting base for certain characters, titles and storylines. The Avengers as a whole have gotten a bump, but throw in Captain Marvel and a fairly early Vision appearance as well (both of whom could show up in future films) and...

3. That Avengers #81 splash sold for $53.8K in the last sale, which is why we saw a small art J. Buscema Avengers cover soft-stickered at $100K in San Diego. Using the transitive property, if the image/content matters just as much as whether it's by John or Sal, then why can't this cover be priced in the same ballpark. In other words...blame it on Nate!!

Ah, who knows. It's all :screwy: to me. I'm just glad Avengers art is not really in my collecting focus so I can watch with interest :popcorn: instead of pulling my hair out :pullhair:

This is admittedly tortured logic, but let me run this mosaic of facts/opinions by you:

1. Image/content is becoming a more important value driver while artist name and aesthetics, while obviously still very important, are becoming relatively less so. Case in point: that Hulk #180 page. Or, in this case, a very nice Sal Avengers cover.

2. Movie hype/mania is also energizing the collecting base for certain characters, titles and storylines. The Avengers as a whole have gotten a bump, but throw in Captain Marvel and a fairly early Vision appearance as well (both of whom could show up in future films) and...

3. That Avengers #81 splash sold for $53.8K in the last sale, which is why we saw a small art J. Buscema Avengers cover soft-stickered at $100K in San Diego. Using the transitive property, if the image/content matters just as much as whether it's by John or Sal, then why can't this cover be priced in the same ballpark. In other words...blame it on Nate!!

Ah, who knows. It's all :screwy: to me. I'm just glad Avengers art is not really in my collecting focus so I can watch with interest :popcorn: instead of pulling my hair out :pullhair:

I think this whole thing is related in 2 parts. I think Big John is blowing up recently, At least certain runs especially early avengers. I never understood the huge price discount from Big John to Kirby and I see that price gap closing. I feel Big John is finally getting more of his due. I think furthermore the Sal B vs Big John gap is also closing at least on the early Sal B art. The first few years of Sal's output was very close in appearance and style to big John and I think that is what is driving the market. I paid questionably above market on a subby splash by Sal a few Heritage auctions ago and I am feeling better and better about it now. At some point it comes down to the image and that is a great avengers cover. Add in all the marvel studios hoopla and there you go, price explosion.