• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

Holy Fudd -- fantastic.

The slavering commie spider is over the top!

From "American Security Council Press" -- any idea who was behind them? John Birch Society?

I'll have to watch for this book. Apparently there was an earlier edition (according to Overstreet).

Thanks,

Jack

Sorry, no gold...1968

scan0006sv5.jpg

Here's a new addition. This one looks like a more obscure addition to an "atomic" collection but it fits in the anti-commie realm as well because it's foreign mad scientist is clearly modelled after Nikita Kruschev -- who was well known at the time, 1950, even though he would not take over the USSR until he finally managed to kill Stalin a few years later.

Story ends up with the weapon overloading and causing an atomic explosion. kir Durango throws the weapon into a pool of quick sand saying he just hopes we never develop something like this again in the future.

DurangoKid111950.jpg

Edited by bluechip

But this is probably the creme de la creme of them all, as far as I know. I won it recently on e-bay for $385.

851202-IfanABombFalls.jpg

The e-bay seller wrote the following in his description:

You are seeing a comic book that many thought did not exist. This is the cover of IF AN A-BOMB FALLS. This COLD WAR CIVIL DEFENSE COMIC BOOK was produced in 1951, at the height of ATOMIC PARANOIA.

The rarity of this comic book cannot be overstated. This comic book is not even supposed to exist. According to an authoritative article about this publisher:

If an A-Bomb Falls (U S Government, 1951, 8 pages) Rare. Designed as a brochure, but only published as a color strip on the front page of the Washington Post in July 1951. Only a few hand bound copies of the brochure were made. 2 copies are believed to exist.

Well, here is another copy of this rare comic book. Perhaps this copy was hand-bound and assembled and distributed by the Civil Defense Directors of RALEIGH COUNTY, West Virginia whose names are stamped on the back cover - HAROLD SOPHER and PAUL FOURNEY

Does anyone know anything about this book?

I was able to upgrade my copy. So, there would appear to be at least about 6 copies known to exist. I have two. HarveyDude has one. I think there is one in the CGC census too. And I don't know if the two referenced in the article are among the ones we know about.

Ifanabombfalls2.jpg

This is an amazing complete B/W reprint set of some of the key anti-communist books of the day and includes Blood is the Harvest, How Stalin Hopes We Will Destroy America, If the Devil Would Talk and The Red Iceberg. All but Stalin were issued by the Catechetical Guild. The set includes the original certificate identifying this as Portfolio #39 which was issued to Robert Dane.

Rare-Book-Portfolio.jpg

Also from the 60's this is more a Pro-Communist "comic"

How to Shoot an Airplane.

Printed in China in the 1960's.

BTW if anyone knows much about shooting, the odds of actually hitting a plane with a rifle where it would actually do any damage to a military fighter or bomber are pretty much zero.

Link

Here's the front pic.

shoot.jpg

I was able to upgrade my copy. So, there would appear to be at least about 6 copies known to exist. I have two. HarveyDude has one. I think there is one in the CGC census too. And I don't know if the two referenced in the article are among the ones we know about.

Correction. I was trying to obtain a copy but the deal fell through so I am still without a copy frown.gif

This is an amazing complete B/W reprint set of some of the key anti-communist books of the day and includes Blood is the Harvest, How Stalin Hopes We Will Destroy America, If the Devil Would Talk and The Red Iceberg. All but Stalin were issued by the Catechetical Guild. The set includes the original certificate identifying this as Portfolio #39 which was issued to Robert Dane.

Rare-Book-Portfolio.jpg

Hard to believe that book portfolio is already over 25 years old. Seems like yesterday when it was released.

Love it -- and not an easy book to find either!

Now these books are, well lets say, unique. I purchased them in the last Hakes auction and actually thought I had mistakenly thrown them out with the box but was pleasantly surprised to find them tonight! yay.gif

The Hakes description stated these were from 1948-1953. The Chambers/Hiss story is replete with homosexual scenes and the Coplon and Stalin books contain various sexual exploits. Alleged to be scarce.

Anyone ever see them before?

Spysex.jpg

Now these books are, well lets say, unique. I purchased them in the last Hakes auction and actually thought I had mistakenly thrown them out with the box but was pleasantly surprised to find them tonight! yay.gif

The Hakes description stated these were from 1948-1953. The Chambers/Hiss story is replete with homosexual scenes and the Coplon and Stalin books contain various sexual exploits.

Wow. What are they, political progaganda Tijuana Bibles? From the staple size, they're maybe 2" x 3"?

Alleged to be scarce.

I'd say that's a safe bet.

Anyone ever see them before?

Not a chance!

Jack