• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

Nice pickup. I would have thought you would have already procured a copy of this book as it is a tad more common than most of your previous postings.

Everytime I saw it on ebay I got outbid. Certainly not a pricey book. It can be purchased for less than $50. Just had bad timing I guess. Finally got fed up and snagged one!

I didn't see this one posted yet, so here is a classic, Treasure Chest v. 17 No. 2, September 28, 1961, the first anti-Commie issue.

treasurecommie.jpg

And here's Konga versus the Commie rockets (good name for a band, but what isn't?).

konga9.jpgViva la revolucion!Joe

My latest pick-up. Kinda beat (and I accidently caused a tear also when putting it back in its holder! 893whatthe.gif), but you don't see it often. Related to the Two Faces of Communism promotional books.

Doubletalk.jpg

As you know, I just picked up the original cover to this. I posted it to the original art thread but I believe this beauty belongs in this thread.

DoubleTalkCover1-1.jpg

Very cool cover, HarveyDude? Do you know who the artist is?

This is a great thread - a true historical treasure trove of Cold War history!

One of the things I love about the pre-hero Marvel era was the strong anti-commie themes that ran through the stories from time to time -- strange how I cant seem to recall any anti-communist stories in any DC books (but their must be a few).

I wonder if there is an index somewhere identifying these stories?

Bill

Harvey Dude, I love that Mystic #18 cover as well. :applause: And congrats on the Double Talk art pickup!

Funny you reference the Two Faces of Communism book, because I've been meaning to ask you about that book for some time. My copy of TFOC does not have an outer "slick" cover, and I've seen other copies also without outer covers. Are copies without the outer cover considered coverless, or is it possible that there were actually copies distributed without outer covers?

Are copies without the outer cover considered coverless, or is it possible that there were actually copies distributed without outer covers?

I have not been able to independently verify but Esquire seems to think they are two distinct variations with copies distributed without the slick cover. The last page is slightly different between the two variants.

Are copies without the outer cover considered coverless, or is it possible that there were actually copies distributed without outer covers?

I have not been able to independently verify but Esquire seems to think they are two distinct variations with copies distributed without the slick cover. The last page is slightly different between the two variants.

Interesting that you've been chatting about it already! That was my guess as well (that the book was distributed both ways). The last page of my non-slick-covered copy has a blank bottom half, to be stamped by whatever church or organization was distributing them.

I'd be curious if you guys find out any more about it. Which version do you have?

Interesting that you've been chatting about it already! That was my guess as well (that the book was distributed both ways). The last page of my non-slick-covered copy has a blank bottom half, to be stamped by whatever church or organization was distributing them.

I'd be curious if you guys find out any more about it. Which version do you have?

I do believe these are completely distinct versions. I recall looking through them and solidifying my opinion of this theory. Both HarveyDude and I have tried to research the publisher and have basically come up with bubkus thus far, but we haven't given up.

I have both versions:

Twofacesofcommunism1.jpg

Twofacesofcommunism2.jpg

My latest pick-up. Kinda beat (and I accidently caused a tear also when putting it back in its holder! 893whatthe.gif), but you don't see it often. Related to the Two Faces of Communism promotional books.

Doubletalk.jpg

As you know, I just picked up the original cover to this. I posted it to the original art thread but I believe this beauty belongs in this thread.

DoubleTalkCover1-1.jpg

A great pick-up for a deserving collector. Couldn't have found a better home! :applause:

As it turns out, I recently purchased four of the interior pages from this book and will post those shortly.

Just arrived moments ago...

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

BloodIsTheHarvest_CGCNM94-1.jpg

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Welcome to the club. That is one of my favorite covers. Congratulations. Not an easy book to find. (thumbs u

I can't wait until the registry has an anti-commie set type. It would be interesting to see the cool books that can be entered.

Welcome to the club. That is one of my favorite covers. Congratulations. Not an easy book to find. (thumbs u

I can't wait until the registry has an anti-commie set type. It would be interesting to see the cool books that can be entered.

:gossip: Thanks, but I've been in the club nearly 15 years. This is my third copy. :o

I suggested an Anti-Communist registry set a while back. It was before the cut-off, but it never made it on the list. Maybe because I only gave rough list of the major books it should contain. Maybe if we put together a more comprehensive list they would actually create it?