• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

Errr...Black Widow shouldn't be anywhere NEAR the list.

Same for Batman?

Batman should be at the top of the list. One way or another, he would find the means to take care of everyone else..........

exactly. this is a guy who can beat superman

...which is BS. As has been said hundreds of times before by hundreds of different comic creators, a true fight between Batman & Superman would be over in a couple seconds.

i don't know if kryptonite works that quickly, but yeah, batman wouldn't have to wait too long.

If Stan wrote Batman, somewhere along the line we would have seen the phrase "greater power comes from greater popularity ." ;)

DOCTOR STRANGE Tracking for Lower Opening Weekend Than Thor: The Dark World

Doctor Strange hit the box office tracking this morning, and it's about as broad as can be, with a twenty million dollar range, looking to open between $55 million and $75 million. The low end of that would not place the movie in even the top 20 for opening weekends in November, while the high end would only place it at #13 overall, falling under the powerhouse of book movies (The Hunger Games, The Twilight Saga, and a few Harry Potter movies all came out in past Novembers, dominating the top 10).

What's more concerning for Marvel is that the film is tracking, at best, 10 million dollars under their last November release, Thor: The Dark World, which got $85.7 million in its opening weekend. This is meant to launch a new corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Marvel would likely be disappointed to see it come in that low.

This could be temporary. As the marketing ramps up even more, the awareness should expand.

It might be temporary, but Dr. Strange is probably their riskiest release yet due to the underlying subject matter/theme. I can see it starting slow, with word of mouth being the key to its success if it is deemed to be a good movie by viewers. Unless it is Potter or Hobbit/LOTR, the fantasy/magic genre is a tough one to get traction with.

You think Dr. Strange is a riskier release than Guardians?

Doctor Strange hit the box office tracking this morning, and it's about as broad as can be, with a twenty million dollar range, looking to open between $55 million and $75 million. The low end of that would not place the movie in even the top 20 for opening weekends in November, while the high end would only place it at #13 overall, falling under the powerhouse of book movies (The Hunger Games, The Twilight Saga, and a few Harry Potter movies all came out in past Novembers, dominating the top 10).

What's more concerning for Marvel is that the film is tracking, at best, 10 million dollars under their last November release, Thor: The Dark World, which got $85.7 million in its opening weekend. This is meant to launch a new corner of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Marvel would likely be disappointed to see it come in that low.

This could be temporary. As the marketing ramps up even more, the awareness should expand.

It might be temporary, but Dr. Strange is probably their riskiest release yet due to the underlying subject matter/theme. I can see it starting slow, with word of mouth being the key to its success if it is deemed to be a good movie by viewers. Unless it is Potter or Hobbit/LOTR, the fantasy/magic genre is a tough one to get traction with.

Yes. The underlying theme for Guardians as a space adventure has been shown to work. Magic/mysticism is a much more difficult approach to attract viewers to. Potter succeeded because it had a huge following from the books already. I have been polling my co-workers, and even the ones who are fans of Cumberbatch from Sherlock have said they are waiting to see what the word of mouth is. If it is good, some may go, but others have said they will wait for Netflix instead (including the two that thought AoU was great lol ) as they do not care for magic/sorcery films. They all went to GotG.......

Edited by kimik

Yes. The underlying theme for Guardians as a space adventure has been shown to work. Magic/mysticism is a much more difficult approach to attract viewers to. Potter succeeded because it had a huge following from the books already. I have been polling my co-workers, and even the ones who are fans of Cumberbatch from Sherlock have said they are waiting to see what the word of mouth is. If it is good, some may go, but others have said they will wait for Netflix instead (including the two that thought AoU was great lol ) as they do not care for magic/sorcery films. They all went to GotG.......

Holy ...people in Alberta have Netflix??

It's amazing how people have selective memory.

A movie with a talking raccoon & a tree that repeats "I am Groot" is RISKIER (P-E-R-I-O-D!)

A movie with a talking raccoon & a tree that repeats "I am Groot" is RISKIER (P-E-R-I-O-D!)

And yet GotG, with a talking raccoon and a walking tree, was being talked about as a hit and predicted to open at $65 million plus (it did $90+ million), not the low of $55 million that Dr. Strange is currently looking at.

That being said, if Dr. Strange can hit $65 million it should be considered a success. If the word of mouth post-film is good then it will have some legs to stand on until Rogue One cuts it down at the knees.........

Edited by kimik

And yet GotG, with a talking raccoon and a walking tree, was being talked about as a hit and opened at $90+ million..........not the $55 - $75 million that Dr. Strange is currently looking at.

Yeah...It's so easy to predict GotG's OW after the movie was a runaway success.

And yet GotG, with a talking raccoon and a walking tree, was being talked about as a hit and predicted to open at $65 million plus (it did $90+ million), not the low of $55 million that Dr. Strange is currently looking at.

That being said, if Dr. Strange can hit $65 million it should be considered a success. If the word of mouth post-film is good then it will have some legs to stand on until Rogue One cuts it down at the knees.........

We will find out pretty quickly since the film is opening Internationally 7+ days before it hits America. GOTG had a lot of humor that caught viewers attention from the 1st trailer, whereas Doctor Strange seems to be much more serious in nature. It won't be for everyone, but I hope it blows away the audience & crushes those BO predictions. :wishluck:

Agreed...Rogue One will crush Dr. Strange & every 2016 movie.

The 2nd trailer for RO looks great.

We will find out pretty quickly since the film is opening Internationally 7+ days before it hits America. GOTG had a lot of humor that caught viewers attention from the 1st trailer, whereas Doctor Strange seems to be much more serious in nature. It won't be for everyone, but I hope it blows away the audience & crushes those BO predictions. :wishluck:

I hope it does well. The more successful comic movie franchises the better. (thumbs u

No worries. Disney is plugging this movie wherever it can. Even from the most important viewing venues.

Doctor Strange Awkwardly Referenced In General Hospital

In addition to owning Marvel Studios, Disney also owns network ABC, and so it makes sense that they would advertise for Strange throughout the network's schedule. The writers for ABC's long-running soap General Hospital did one better for Disney and actually featured the film in a dialogue exchange between Ned Ashton (Wally Kurth) and Olivia Falconeri (Lisa Lo Cicero) (via io9).

(:

No worries. Disney is plugging this movie wherever it can. Even from the most important viewing venues.

Doctor Strange Awkwardly Referenced In General Hospital

In addition to owning Marvel Studios, Disney also owns network ABC, and so it makes sense that they would advertise for Strange throughout the network's schedule. The writers for ABC's long-running soap General Hospital did one better for Disney and actually featured the film in a dialogue exchange between Ned Ashton (Wally Kurth) and Olivia Falconeri (Lisa Lo Cicero) (via io9).

(:

:roflmao: Brilliant!

So, i know someone who has seen the movie. he told me it was amazing, and he can't wait to see it again. he also said to see it in IMAX, as more than an hour is formatted for it and the 3D is great.

:applause:

My wife asked if I wanted to go see this together.

:whee: