• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

I expect that the costs of producing superhero/sci-fi/fantasy movies will drop going forward as the CGI platforms become more robust.

I bet they are closer than we realize.

When the movie Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within came out in 2001, I remember reading a Time Magazine article where studio heads had the production crew back off on the animation. The characters looked so realistic, they even added pores and pimples to drive home how far they could push the technology.

One day, I wonder if 'acting' will be the authorization to use someone's likeness while all they contribute is the voice.

:ohnoez:

and it's off: $86MM int'l vs $65MM projection. $600MM WW my guess.

If word of mouth is good, maybe it goes higher than $600MM WW?

It's already got GOTG beat by 20 million opening weekend. Korea brought in 18, so it looks like they can pull in 60+ total. China could bring in around 100 also. I'd say more like 500+ international & 350+ domestic. It can bring in as much as BvS imo.

It's already got GOTG beat by 20 million opening weekend. Korea brought in 18, so it looks like they can pull in 60+ total. China could bring in around 100 also. I'd say more like 500+ international & 350+ domestic. It can bring in as much as BvS imo.

$350MM domestic seems wildly optimistic. "stock" is estimating $225-240MM. pretty busy release schedule in November: Trolls 11/3 - should crack $100MM, Arrival 11/10 - could crack $100MM, Fantastic Beasts 11/17 - should crack $250MM. Moana 11/23 - could crack $300MM.

$350MM domestic seems wildly optimistic. "stock" is estimating $225-240MM. pretty busy release schedule in November: Trolls 11/3 - should crack $100MM, Arrival 11/10 - could crack $100MM, Fantastic Beasts 11/17 - should crack $250MM. Moana 11/23 - could crack $300MM.

I remember saying Suicide Squad would hit 755 - 765 million when others were saying it would be lucky to get past 600 & it's just under 745. Maybe it will only make around 750 - 800, but I really doubt it will settle around 600.

I would love to see more reviews about the movie and less talk about box office numbers.

All these movie threads are turning into lame shareholders meetings.

I actually agree with this pretty strongly, I look forward to more talk about how they handled the characters and story.

I would love to see more reviews about the movie and less talk about box office numbers.

I actually agree with this pretty strongly, I look forward to more talk about how they handled the characters and story.

Yeah!

:sumo:

Wait a minute.

hm

+12

I've just thought of an interesting, analytical side project for Nick / Bosco, which follows on from a post I made in the Water Cooler thread.

Factoring in population differences, can you see a significant increase in ticket sales for Dr Strange, especially Imax 3D, in the US states which have legalised cannabis?

Something a bit different, anyway.

I've just thought of an interesting, analytical side project for Nick / Bosco, which follows on from a post I made in the Water Cooler thread.

Factoring in population differences, can you see a significant increase in ticket sales for Dr Strange, especially Imax 3D, in the US states which have legalised cannabis?

lol

hm

We'll have to see.

Cannabis, no - LSD, - yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That trippy?

That trippy?

Parts of it, definitely.