• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

1A and NYCC should be the most desirable.

Why not the Hastings? If the NYCC is up there for rarity, I'd think the 1A would be the least desirable as it is probably the most common?

I don't like the NYCC cover personally, but I think people are right about it just from reading the responses in this thread.

Food for thought on how to dominate marketing and sales.

1) Release a one shot.

2) Create pilot based off the one shot knowing a continued series is on it's way.

3) Put together a stellar first issue a little before SDCC. With a buzz worthy low print run.

4) Drop a bomb of news at SDCC.

5) TV series, McFarlane quality toys (Awesome!), etc to follow!

Genius!

I remember this post (page 28)...just substitute for #4: Release RRP at NYCC and pretty spot on.

Not bad if I don't say so myself lol

Here are the Enormous 1 variants thus far with print runs (not sure if Tim or Larry can shed some light on the aprox/unknown numbers) :

The 1st print run featured 4 variants:

Enormous 1 Phantom Variant [544 printed]

Enormous 1 Hastings Variant [800 printed]

Enormous 1 Cover A [Approx 2K printed]

Enormous 1 Cover B [Approx 2K printed]

The 2nd print run featured 4 variants:

Enormous 1 2nd Print [unknown]

Enormous 1 NYCC 2nd Print [100 printed]

Enormous 1 Phantom Kaiju Variant 2nd Print [unknown]

Enormous 1 Phantom Creature Feature Variant 2nd Print [unknown - although Larry intimated that this was the scarcest copy of all]

I think all the 1st prints will be the ones to watch, especially when you consider the small numbers printed for all four books. The NYCC may also be key here, but only for completists (like myself), mainly due to there only being 100 printed. The true key book is the over-sized Image one-shot, but that will be hampered by the fact it [currently] can't be slabbed.

It will be interesting to see how Issues 2 & 3 shape up as well, as they were extremely limited in numbers (less than 2k each cover A and B variant) and, as those of us onboard at the time will recall, distribution was extremely limited.

The other one to watch will be the super low print run of Issue 6 comiconart, comicsheatup.net and ComicExposure variants, which as Tim/Enormouscomic states, introduced important new characters.

I am voting #1 (cover A) with the Phantom (1st Print) slightly behind it as the ones to own.

NYCC is not an RRP, no matter how it's spun. It's a con variant, and one that came out long after the release of #1. Sure it has a low print run but in the grand scheme of things they all do.

In the future I am sure the cover for #1 (cover A) will be the branding of the series that the masses will gravitate towards. A second printing NYCC variant that reads "second printing", Ehh.

I am voting #1 (cover A) with the Phantom (1st Print) slightly behind it as the ones to own.

NYCC is not an RRP, no matter how it's spun. It's a con variant, and one that came out long after the release of #1. Sure it has a low print run but in the grand scheme of things they all do.

In the future I am sure the cover for #1 (cover A) will be the branding of the series that the masses will gravitate towards. A second printing NYCC variant that reads "second printing", Ehh.

I agree with you... I was really close to securing the OA for the Enormous 1 Cover A, but someone beat me and others to it. Congrats to whoever was lucky enough to have secured that - great score especially in light of this news.

The only spin is that the NYCC #1 is not the book to have. I've followed this series from the beginning of the ongoing. The NYCC #1 has sold for roughly 10 times the cost of the a or b covers ( of which I have over 20 so I wish this were true ) and I don't see that changing but I'll offer 3 of my A covers for any NYCC #1 in the same condition. (thumbs u

Its still the only con exclusive of #1 and they fact that 100 exist is extremely more rare than most SDCC variants for any other title that I'm aware of. The fact there are 4 first prints out there with a total of 5344 is about the smallest dang print run total for a comc book nowadays......math is great fellas!

Edited by natevegas

Really curious to me that people don't seem to care that the NYCC is definition a second print. I've noticed the price differential myself - people have definitely been paying more for the NYCC.

I wonder if most of them knew it was a second print? I wonder if it'll change over time?

Really seems like most people want that cover because they hear '100 printed' and their eyes light up.

Why not the Hastings? If the NYCC is up there for rarity, I'd think the 1A would be the least desirable as it is probably the most common?

I don't like the NYCC cover personally, but I think people are right about it just from reading the responses in this thread.

I simply don't care as much for shop variants, in that they are really just manufactured collectibles. In most cases, they also feature cover art by an artist unrelated to the series. Personally, I'd rather have the "regular" #1 than a shop variant. Just my personal take on it.

On the other hand, at least the Hastings variant features cover art by co-creator Mehdi Cheggour - so, given a choice I'd definitely take the Hastings over the Phantom. (shrug)

I simply don't care as much for shop variants, in that they are really just manufactured collectibles. In most cases, they also feature cover art by an artist unrelated to the series. Personally, I'd rather have the "regular" #1 than a shop variant. Just my personal take on it.

On the other hand, at least the Hastings variant features cover art by co-creator Mehdi Cheggour - so, given a choice I'd definitely take the Hastings over the Phantom. (shrug)

That is why I purchased the Hastings - I rarely purchase shop variants either, often for that reason. The 'manufactured collectible' thing is true of all variants though, isn't it? Some would take it further and say it is true for all comics, but I don't see how it isn't true for all variants.

History has usually shown that the reg #1, and the "hot" Con or RRP variant rise above the pack of variants.

It's just how it has been.

I do not think them labeling the NYCC Variant as a second printing will hurt it at all.

All Con variants are really 2nd printings if you think about it, even if they aren't labeled that way.

And you can't overlook such a low print run.

It's not the most perfect comparison, but the SDCC #1 Five Ghosts (print run of 50) and the ECCC Five Ghosts (print run of 200 I believe) far outsell the Phantom. Not even close.

Same with EoW. The RRP blows the FP and Ghost variants out of the water.

Shop variants rarely compete with the Con variants.

OMG All comic books are manufactured collectibles. Is this a noobie thread here or what?

Uh - no. All comic books are periodicals (and "regular" covers are printed to order). On the other hand, printing a variant cover in a limited quantity to sell at a marked up price right out of the gate is a manufactured collectible. Most new variant covers are not only artificially limited, but they are also never available at cover price (and yes, I know that Phantoms are available in Larry's store for cover, but most Phantom retailers sell them at a much higher price on eBay (Larry included).

And...while the NYCC variant was also an artificially limited print run, it was (a) only sold for $2, and (b) offered directly through the publisher. To me, that makes it more desirable.

All comic books are manufactured...or do you think somebody made em in a garage like Steve Jobs did with Apple?????

Step 1) Understand the definition of the term "manufactured collectible"

Step 2) Post an intelligent response in this thread

Go ahead - we can wait for you to catch up.

HINT: "Manufactured collectible" does *NOT* simply mean that the book is manufactured.

OMG All comic books are manufactured collectibles. Is this a noobie thread here or what?

Uh - no. All comic books are periodicals (and "regular" covers are printed to order). On the other hand, printing a variant cover in a limited quantity to sell at a marked up price right out of the gate is a manufactured collectible. Most new variant covers are not only artificially limited, but they are also never available at cover price (and yes, I know that Phantoms are available in Larry's store for cover, but most Phantom retailers sell them at a much higher price on eBay (Larry included).

And...while the NYCC variant was also an artificially limited print run, it was (a) only sold for $2, and (b) offered directly through the publisher. To me, that makes it more desirable.

Uh yeah they are...they are printed not made of money but are thus bought and sold because people collect them = manufactured collectible....sheesh

I agree that they are all great books to own, just due to the low print run of the entire series to this point.

PP #1 and #2 were hitting CRAZY money for a while, and their print runs were around 7K a piece I think. I may be wrong, but I do believe it was around that number.