• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
5 5

7,208 posts in this topic

Good god what's happened in here?

So Red 84 is up now, and Chip is giving both his offers away to anyone who wants them, and is then quitting.

Hulk-smash wants to charge $50 per member and 3,761 new rules have been suggested.

Chris S is, for some reason that I don't understand, a cry-baby who is being bullied.

Swick has had a breakdown and has gone to bed with some Tylenol and a warm Cocoa.

Is that about right?

And you get a 20% discount if you go through me for your membership

So Red 84 is up now, and Chip is giving both his offers away to anyone who wants them, and is then quitting.

Hulk-smash wants to charge $50 per member and 3,761 new rules have been suggested.

Chris S is, for some reason that I don't understand, a cry-baby who is being bullied.

Swick has had a breakdown and has gone to bed with some Tylenol and a warm Cocoa.

Is that about right?

And someone was promoting oxycontin. I agree with them as well.

Is that about right?

Is that what I need to add to my mystery boxes??? I can't give away those damn books!

Is that about right?

Couln't hurt.

Wheres the link, I think I was gonna buy one a while ago...

Is that what I need to add to my mystery boxes??? I can't give away those damn books!

I doubt you guys want unsolicited outside observations but it is all I have as I do not participate in these threads.

You guys contaminated your own well by not following the rules that where crafted to prevent this very act happening; specifically line items 8(a) through 9(b). The mob mentality was accepted to use board member pier pressure to force a giver to change his offer outside of the stated rules.

• IE; what started as suggestions on how to better craft an offer quickly gave way to veiled demands of what the giver had to do so his offer would "quickly" be taken.

Most people do not respond well to this type of massaging no matter how good intentioned especially when it starts to look like they are being ganged up on. The giver becomes defensive and standoffish because they view it as a personal attack and the community entrenches on either side of the battle still ignoring the agreed upon rules.

I do not even believe the current problems with this thread are offer based as many people originally agreed it was a good offer. The problem is one of numbers. The CGC forum is a very small community, this thread within it is an even smaller community, this puts a large strain on the actual pool of people who will participate. As this thread has moved quite fast you have run out of surplus participants and are left with casual passers by.

Before "suggesting" another offer be changed think about who is left to claim it. Is the problem really with the offer or have you artificially run yourself out of willing claimants. This thread is 8 days old and there has already been 21 people officially claim items, that is a lot of active people already out of contention when you break down the numbers!

In any case these were just my observations as I was reading the forums tonight, good luck with the thread and try to be patient above all.

Is that about right?

Paypal personal ok? :whistle:

:bump:

:gossip: The current offer is always located in the second post of this thread.

Okay, here we go...

14604706676_ede66643a2_o.jpg

Starting at the top :

Little Lulu #148 and #150 (1960)

Hot Stuff #14 (1959)

Classics Illustrated #83 (1965)

Racket Squad #24 (1957)

Flash Gordon #5 (1967)

Wyatt Earp #25 (1959)

Gorgo #4 (1961)

Mysterious Suspense #1 (1968)

Four Color #885 (1958)

Quick-Trigger Western #16 (1957)

Young Romance #49 (1952)

Heroic Comics #70 (1952)

Wild Bill Hickok #7 (1949)

The Jaguar #15 (1963)

...but wait, there's more!

14624599451_3a4684d720_o.jpg

Pinocchio #2 (1963)

Thirteen #29 (1971)

Brain Boy #6 (1963)

The Outer Limits #17 (1968)

Tarzan #178 (1968)

MARS Patrol #3 (1966)

MARS Patrol #6 (1968)

Space Adventures #3 (1967)

Fightin' Army #26 (1958)

Fightin' Army #66 (1965)

Battlefield Action #20 (1958)

Battlefield Action #21 (1958)

Thanks for looking. :)

Peace,

Chip

So is Chip giving these away to anyone who wants them?

Seems like there is something for everyone here.

Lot of titles I have never read.

Seems like a good deal for someone, if they are just now a RAK (?) offering.

Is that about right?

Paypal personal ok? :whistle:

Of course!

As far as the eyes being mismatched-not sure if that is intentional as Odin has eye problems/patch but that is atypical for Kirby. I can find a crooked face of any artist you want to mention. But I selected that piece granted that Kirby's faces some found a turn off and just focus on everything else.

I think the rest of the picture is pretty incredible. But I just keep looking back at that left eye.

That's most likely the doing of inker Colletta.

+1 I refrain from posting because Jason (youmechooz) fairly admitted his not liking Kirby has much to do with mere taste. I always loved him, but I am not an acritical "fan", I always submit my favorites to critical judgement.

Also, you need to see the complete evolution of his style since the beginnings (heavily influenced by Lou Fine, as incredible as it may seem) up to early Captain Victory. And taking inkers into account – a lot!

After that, his eye disease resulted in distortions, but to group him with Rob Liefeld or even Jim Lee is absurd, even if you have grown up in the early 1990s. lol

I’d like to voice my opinion about what has happened with Chip, because I believe misunderstanding is closely related to confounding various aspects.

I hope I am not perceived as presumptuous, I just wish to point out some things and offer a general reflection:

– The second offer posted by Chip was a VERY cool offer. Jason might say the Kamandi books are cheap books – well, I did not pay $1 apiece for my collection, and I bought them a lot of years ago. Regardless of their current "trending", the content of these books is great, and everyone which has not read Kamandi really should do so, at least to get to know Kirby better, because there is a lot of him in that series.

– Chip should probably not have been worried about switching the offer. His comment was taken merely as a sign of pride, and of course this led to the degeneration of the discussion;

– Harvey should not have replied in that way. If Chip’s character shows pride, so does such a way to reply, like you can read in another person’s heart his motivations in a crstal clear way. Jason/Youmechooz lacks tact – heck, even Jimimy Cricket/Hulk Smash would have done better here! lol

– Jason/Youmechooz however is right in pointing out the nature of giving: giving and receiving is not something you take "for granted", even when you are really in need. It is always someting gratuitous, something to be thankful about, but nothing the donor should pride himself about, and nothing the recipient should thing it’s something owed.

– No big deal happened, and nothing new under the sun, as the nature of all bad things is always pride, so please Chip get back aboard and do not feel offended and guys let’s shove our pride up our backseats and get back on track… (thumbs u

And an unsolicited advertising message: vote for Kav! lol

Man, thank goodness I went to sleep early last night because this thread was a little of :baiting: a little more of :frustrated: and a lot of :ohnoez:

Maybe in a different order depending who you ask. All I hafta say at this time is *spoon* the $50 member's fee, someone please take that Lois Lane book and yes, I voted for Kav. Don't judge me, I'm all for PROGRESS!

lol

Man, thank goodness I went to sleep early last night because this thread was a little of :baiting: a little more of :frustrated: and a lot of :ohnoez:

Maybe in a different order depending who you ask. All I hafta say at this time is *spoon* the $50 member's fee, someone please take that Lois Lane book and yes, I voted for Kav. Don't judge me, I'm all for PROGRESS!

lol

The Lois Lane book is very cool. But after the way everyone piled on Chip there is no way I'm ever participating in this thread. If you want more people participating in this thread you have a funny way of showing it. Good luck with TGT.

I guess everyone else is sleeping off their hangover or licking their wounds from last nights fight. But like any good fight it hopefully is about resolving issues so you can move forward.

I can be harsh and blunt at times and even I will say people were harsh with Chip but come on man - playing the "I don't have time to change up my offer" and "I can't give away my new books" cards was pretty weak. I bet most of the books offered here could be put in the "inventory" category if the person wants to. Your second offer was quickly looking to be a dud since people just do not have a use for a non complete set of that series. I don't know your situation but pulling one nicer book from the stack you just purchased and offering it up would have been a great gesture. By saying you don't have time to post up another book is a slap in the face of all the people that took so much time putting this thread together and those that put in hours trying to get back your stolen money.