• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
5 5

7,208 posts in this topic

Kav your idea won't work, this whole place is based on commenting, regardless of the relevance. I mean were talking about a way to fix this thread, and boom, picture of a corvette, completely off topic (no offense)

None of us have the discipline to NOT comment or have banter, so the idea of eliminating that to fix the problem? That's :insane:

Kav said a few nights ago that the banter was a great part of this thread.

It's the best part.

I myself enjoy drama and even when i'm the target I still enjoy it. I just fear others don't see it that way and I'm always afraid Harv will give up on this thread because of it.

I think the idea of just letting the rules work and no more critical comments would be best. At first I thought that peer pressure would be good since people would be reluctant to use the veto. Now we've seen how it can go horribly wrong. I think it would behoove future participants to be more pro active in changing offers but it's up to them. The Kamandis weren't a terrible offer-I would have snapped it up when I was getting my Kamandi collection together-I ended up paying ave $3 each for them.

Yeah but offering something firs before taking something for yourself, come on that's the essence of this thread. Claim then offer is PIF. Giving Tree=give first

No vetoes needed, your offers not take, you must change it or pull it. Fundamentally we would switch from trying to match the value of what we got compared to what we give. You have nothing to compare your offer to, your offering in hoes your offer beats out the others, if it does, you get rewarded for the offer by allowing to claim one.

I'm not sure how this would work-you go to claim something then post your offer and only get your claim if someone takes your offer-but then they cant take their claim unless someone takes their offer-somewhere down the lina an offer doesnt get taken and all the previous offers fall like dominoes....

How do you not get this? Or are being a smarta$$?

You cannot claim an offer unless you already had an offer taken by someone.

The only trick is the start, as someone will get to claim something without offering anything, once the ball is rolling, it's so incredibly simple.

Do you seriously not get it?

I think the idea of just letting the rules work and no more critical comments would be best. At first I thought that peer pressure would be good since people would be reluctant to use the veto. Now we've seen how it can go horribly wrong. I think it would behoove future participants to be more pro active in changing offers but it's up to them. The Kamandis weren't a terrible offer-I would have snapped it up when I was getting my Kamandi collection together-I ended up paying ave $3 each for them.

Yeah but offering something firs before taking something for yourself, come on that's the essence of this thread. Claim then offer is PIF. Giving Tree=give first

No vetoes needed, your offers not take, you must change it or pull it. Fundamentally we would switch from trying to match the value of what we got compared to what we give. You have nothing to compare your offer to, your offering in hoes your offer beats out the others, if it does, you get rewarded for the offer by allowing to claim one.

I'm not sure how this would work-you go to claim something then post your offer and only get your claim if someone takes your offer-but then they cant take their claim unless someone takes their offer-somewhere down the lina an offer doesnt get taken and all the previous offers fall like dominoes....

The only trick is the start, as someone will get to claim something without offering anything, once the ball is rolling, it's so incredibly simple.

Maybe you could start your own thread? (shrug)

Right but the person who takes your offer, what if HIS offer is not taken? Does he still get your offer? Or do we wait 3 days then he gets a strike then your offer comes back up? That might work I think I see what youre saying-and it actually sounds pretty logical...that way no one could ever pick up something if he offered something no one wanted....

Harv?

Whatever, I tried. Obviously it's a terrible idea as it's not even being considered. MikesRack I'm with you, lets get the :popcorn: and watch this thing burn.

So because one person disagrees then let's kill this thread? :shrug:

Whatever, I tried. Obviously it's a terrible idea as it's not even being considered. MikesRack I'm with you, lets get the :popcorn: and watch this thing burn.

Ha ha this poor thread-it's so wonderful and so prone to KILL IT at the same time.

It's a microcosm of the human condition...or something.

The crybaby mentality of some of the people here is pathetic. Chris S. should be along any moment now. lol

The crybaby mentality of some of the people here is pathetic. Chris S. should be along any moment now. lol

(tsk) You better not be a bully if he does!

(tsk) You better not be a bully if he does!

:roflmao:

I promise. :wishluck:

FYI to everyone: This thread is working great. The successes are many the butthurt only one really. Maybe 2.

I have nothing to do with whatever direction this thread goes, I'm simply along for the ride. I can hypothesize of what MAY happen.... that's simply my 2c. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not instilled with confidence after the several pages I read.

As far as disagreements go, disagree all you want, at least that's discussion, it's progress. I didn't see a disagreement. Outside of kav's question which was relevant, I saw nothing else regarding the suggestion.

I don't know, I'm tired and frustrated. Harvey and lots of others have their heart in the right place but this thread can be very ugly at times. I just don't see the humor in that.

Maybe I'm tired also but I'm not sure why changing the concept is needed at this point. Haven't there been at least 17+ offers taken in a week plus. Not to mention the numerous other free offers that you have participated in (both a sender and a receiver).

I didn't question your changes cause frankly I don't see a need to change them and they seem more complicated that what's in place. Sorry but that was my initial impression, please don't take that personal.