• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

~~THE~~GIVING~~TREE~~
5 5

7,208 posts in this topic

I agree with everything you said, including:

3. This thread isn't about giving, it's about exchanging similar valued items for fun. Why pretend differently? This thread should be proud and not ashamed of who it is.

But at some point, the thread will stall for one reason or another. Whether people are holding out for "something better" or everyone has taken something already and have to wait a month. At some point the thread will stall despite good intentions on the part of the last offeror. That person will not be given a strike as a result of this if it's obvious they really tried.

When it will get back to the idea of "The Giving Tree" is when someone will restart it by offering something up without taking anything just to keep the thread going for the benefit of everyone else. :cloud9: It's sad that we even had to make this "equal value" system because of a handful of people. I'm hoping with time we can weed those people out and with safeguards in place, it can get back to the idea of just giving back and not a feeding frenzy on good offerings. :wishluck:

I am a hybrid. Half Nerd, have Athlete. It is the best of both worlds, especially now that it is cool to be a nerd.

To be CLEAR, it is 1Cools offer, even if he does not know how to spell my name.. :)

+1

I confuse ppl at the gym when they see me on ebay looking for comics, and at the comic shop when I tear my shirt off while looking for comics.

im a complicated man, and no one understands me, but my woman...

It may be more work for Swick but could we get a list of people participating in the thread? That way it can be evident when we are running low on people still left available rather then the offer being less then desirable. New members to the thread would just need to register before grabbing books.

It may be more work for Swick but could we get a list of people participating in the thread? That way it can be evident when we are running low on people still left available rather then the offer being less then desirable. New members to the thread would just need to register before grabbing books.

The list of participants is already on the first page. Its in the second post.

The list of participants is already on the first page. Its in the second post.

He means require a sign up to participate so that we can see who has and hasn't posted/claimed.

No. No registration. People could end up holding out waiting for Boardie Y's offer knowing he offers the good mess. meh The fun part of this thread is the unpredictability. You never know when someone will post something that will catch the eye of someone else and they'll feel generous in turn.

For example - Chip asked for an opinion - but to me, a big run of BA Star Wars books wouldn't interest me. I want a #42 someday because I love Boba Fett but other than that - (shrug)

But Shadow Images apparently collects them and he was thrilled so he happily took them and felt generous and offered up a page of Original Art. I thought that whole interaction (I cringe at saying "transaction") was :cool:

I don't want people having a little list of who might be offering up something. Just because someone participates once doesn't mean we'll ever see them again and that's perfectly fine. (thumbs u

I've tried to reinforce this sentiment several times. The offerings in this thread shouldn't just be based on $ - BA Star Wars books don't really pique my interest and they're not going to lead to big $ for anyone, but to someone that collects them they could be a great find! I don't want to sound preachy, but this hobby just like this thread can't be just about $! But it's also not JUST someone's drek dumping site. Treat an offering as something you'd like to get and don't really want to give up and you'll be fine.

:news:

I'm not a regular from the PiF thread (did one transaction there) and I've just done my first "giving" here, but I wanted to re-emphasize something important here.

I had a Boardie that told me via PM that they felt they couldn't "afford" to participate in the giving tree. That though really goes against what the GT is trying to do. I want everyone to feel like they can participate without the horde jumping all over them if their contribution doesn't meet a certain $$$$ figure. I understand that if someone takes a $100 item and offers a $10 item there can be issues, but if the bar is consistently $50-$150, can the bar ever be lowered without creating havoc?

This leads me to a brainstorm.... (And please take this as a brainstorm).... What if we had a second "gift" that someone through up in this threw that was under $25? We could have basically a GT1 and GT2 in the same thread. One for higher priced offerings and one for lower. Thoughts? Is this too crazy of an idea? To complicated? Just trying to make this a thread for everyone.

Unless people were following PIF closely, they might not realize what was going on there or the history of problems that began to surface. The ONLY reason that $ has become an issue is because of a handful of people. They used to lie in wait watching PIF. As soon as a generous offer was listed - :takeit: and they LITERALLY would offer drek. And not care to change up their offer. Why would they? They were only there to take. You can see their post history. They rarely participate anywhere else in the community if at all. They just want free stuff. :facepalm:

Then no one would bite at their drek and life would carry on. They'd get something really nice w/o giving anything back. :sorry: Then some good people got together to discuss what they could do - and they came up with the "revert back" rule and a period of time for offers. If you offered drek and it wasn't claimed - you don't get the offering you took and it reverts back to the previous offer. What happened next is really sad - either certain individuals would seemingly work together and have each other's backs and claim the drek OR someone would come along with altruistic intentions to "bail out" the drek slinger so there were no hurt feelings. Literally, a few bad apples were killing the sentiment behind the thread. That is why there exists this need for all of these rules and comparing $ values. I hope once we can weed out those that don't care about this place and are only looking out for #1 - we won't look at the $ of every offer. :wishluck:

I'm not a regular from the PiF thread (did one transaction there) and I've just done my first "giving" here, but I wanted to re-emphasize something important here.

I had a Boardie that told me via PM that they felt they couldn't "afford" to participate in the giving tree. That though really goes against what the GT is trying to do. I want everyone to feel like they can participate without the horde jumping all over them if their contribution doesn't meet a certain $$$$ figure. I understand that if someone takes a $100 item and offers a $10 item there can be issues, but if the bar is consistently $50-$150, can the bar ever be lowered without creating havoc?

This leads me to a brainstorm.... (And please take this as a brainstorm).... What if we had a second "gift" that someone through up in this threw that was under $25? We could have basically a GT1 and GT2 in the same thread. One for higher priced offerings and one for lower. Thoughts? Is this too crazy of an idea? To complicated? Just trying to make this a thread for everyone.

+1

I was thinking the exact same thing Ryan!

Couldn't the PIF thread be used for stuff under $25 since that's what gets traded there a lot?

Couldn't the PIF thread be used for stuff under $25 since that's what gets traded there a lot?

Yup. There is always the PIF thread if they cant afford $50-$150.

Janet's finger gettin sore from refresh button....
lol read my signature when u have a chance

Which Ipad do you have? I have a protective cover for third generation ipads.

I have the 4th I believe but aren't they the same 3rd and 4th

Want me to slide it into one of your packages? I bought it not realizing my iPad was too big.

Did nobody else find this funny?

Just read the PIF Discussion Thread.

It's close to a year that this has been going on. People knew then that there were some gaming the system and just taking. One guy signed up, posted random "nice books" in old sales threads JUST so he could participate in PIF and hasn't really participated anywhere else on the Boards. They don't care about this place. It's a place to get some good mess free. :sumo:

If this thread can continue on and the community speak out against those that would take and not give without fear of being attacked and just "being negative" :eyeroll: this thread will be fine.

A measuring stick of giving something shouldn't just be $ - it should be something with thought and care behind it. Something you yourself would want to receive and even giving it up makes you miss it already, but you want to be generous. THAT is a great offering! (thumbs u Nit finding something out if a $.50 bin just because you have to and are obligating to post something because you took something. :facepalm:

Just read the PIF Discussion Thread.

It's close to a year that this has been going on. People knew then that there were some gaming the system and just taking. One guy signed up, posted random "nice books" in old sales threads JUST so he could participate in PIF and hasn't really participated anywhere else on the Boards. They don't care about this place. It's a place to get some good mess free. :sumo:

If this thread can continue on and the community speak out against those that would take and not give without fear of being attacked and just "being negative" :eyeroll: this thread will be fine.

A measuring stick of giving something shouldn't just be $ - it should be something with thought and care behind it. Something you yourself would want to receive and even giving it up makes you miss it already, but you want to be generous. THAT is a great offering! (thumbs u Nit finding something out if a $.50 bin just because you have to and are obligating to post something because you took something. :facepalm:

The PIF discussion thread might only be a year old, but the shenanigans in the PIF have been going on for years. The board members who clearly mine the PIF thread are the same board members that would squash any sort of meaningful discourse. Always the "You can't discuss value" crutch. The discussion thread was suppose to promote change/discourage the junk donkeys. I really tried to fix the PIF, but every time I see that same Kraven figure or read Topcat's telling everyone to STFU and stay out of the PIF if they don't like it after every swindle, I know that I failed to change anything.

The Giving Tree provides a great alternative. Well done Harvey! I wish your thread the best.

The discussion thread was suppose to promote change/discourage the junk donkeys. I really tried to fix the PIF, but every time I see that same Kraven figure or read Topcat's telling everyone to STFU and stay out of the PIF if they don't like it after every swindle, I know that I failed to change anything.

The Giving Tree provides a great alternative. Well done Harvey! I wish your thread the best.

This had been brought up numerous times so I guess I'm one of the bad guys :sorry:

Perhaps we need a Giving Tree Discussion Thread as to not muck with what is being offered up?

In any event, I am :bump: what I am putting on the table...I don't want to get a strike... ;)

Ok here is my "Give" :)

AVENGERS ANNUAL #10 - 1st Rogue

avg_zpse75746ef.jpg

SAVAGE SHE-HULK #1 - 1st She-Hulk ;)

sh1_zps21518149.jpg

SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #64 - 1st Cloak and Dagger

spec_zpse0652d32.jpg

SPIDER-WOMAN #1 - Origin of Spider-Woman

sw1_zpse4a056ad.jpg

WHAT IF #1 - What If Spidey joined the FF?

wif1_zps5bb8974f.jpg

BONUS BOOK:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #275 - CANADIAN PRICE EDITION (just something to help the taker remember me by)

asm_zps25116449.jpg