• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,543 posts in this topic

Feels like hyperinflation to me ...not good for the hobby imo

Agreed that goes for any hobby.

Nah. Just making up a little ground on the Batman/Superman 1's of the world.

-J.

And a superman 1 that sold for 80k 2 years ago realistically is a 300k book today. Sorry, my opinion is we are in for a rude awakening sooner or later

Slow and steady, that wins the race

If this happens I will be the Warren Buffett (small scale version) of comics and buy buy buy some keys that are out of my reach.

Nah. The overwhelming demand is in the lower grades. Only a few big fish can swim in the nosebleed grade ponds.

I don't think a cap 1 selling for $25k-$30k a point in low-mid grade once or twice a year is going to sink the hobby. :)

-J.

5 copies of just cap 1 have already traded hands in 2 months, and those are just the ones I know about. But prices (asking and realized) have escalated too quickly on all keys and this cycle has happened in the past and it closing in on happening again.... just saying it makes me nervous. Maybe it's sustainable for years to come but it's not good for the hobby imo

Nah. The overwhelming demand is in the lower grades. Only a few big fish can swim in the nosebleed grade ponds.

I don't think a cap 1 selling for $25k-$30k a point in low-mid grade once or twice a year is going to sink the hobby. :)

-J.

5 copies of just cap 1 have already traded hands in 2 months, and those are just the ones I know about. But prices (asking and realized) have escalated too quickly on all keys and this cycle has happened in the past and it closing in on happening again.... just saying it makes me nervous. Maybe it's sustainable for years to come but it's not good for the hobby imo

Blue labels ? Private sales ?

-J.

-J.

-J.

3 blue, 2 restored. All private. Public sales are just a fraction of the market activity on ga keys

-J.

-J.

3 blue, 2 restored. All private. Public sales are just a fraction of the market activity on ga keys

Do you generally find that private sales are a better indicator of FMV than public ones? Or vice versa ?

-J.

-J.

60k for a 2.0 is nosebleed for the majority of collectors ...id guess an overwhelming %

And when prices like this get realized, it's both good and bad. i hope the bad doesn't overshadow the good

-J.

-J.

Do you generally find that private sales are a better indicator of FMV than public ones? Or vice versa ?

-J.

they are both part of the equation, naturally.

All this talk makes me wonder what a blue .5 would go for these days?

Depends what's wrong with it. If simply incomplete with s decent looking cover? $12-15k?

No way Jose.

Two restored trimmed 0.5's have gone for $16k+ recently.

There's only one blue label 0.5 on the census and that would be a $20k+ book easy.

Easy.

-J.

Depends what's wrong with it. If simply incomplete with s decent looking cover? $12-15k?

Clink sold a nice looking Qualified 4.0 copy that was otherwise unrestored with a missing centerfold for $25K nearly two years ago. I believe it was sold by a boardie.

Clink sold a nice looking Qualified 4.0 copy that was otherwise unrestored with a missing centerfold for $25K nearly two years ago. I believe it was sold by a boardie.

It was a boardie and if I'm not mistaken it started off as an incomplete blue label 0.5.

-J.

I really hope it sells for $60k :grin: With the way GA mega keys have been selling especially in unrestored condition, I think anything can happen.

The 2.0 on C-link ended up selling for the $45k that I predicted. :acclaim:

-J.

That should be a new high for a 2.0 (worship)

The highest price ever paid for a restored copy was $64k for the 9.0 SP Church copy in Feb 2004.

The highest graded restored copy sold was a MP 9.4 that sold for $26k in Nov 2010.

I have no idea what an EP 9.4 copy would sell for now. Maybe $125k (if it wasn't an igb re-re-creation)? (shrug)

-J.