• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,543 posts in this topic

I was just about to post that link lol But anyways, nice looking 2.5. At first glance, I thought it was my former 2.5 copy with the tape removed from the spine. But it certainly is a different copy, but very similar.

I remember it sitting on Clink 7-10 years ago asking around $50K. At the same time Clink had a 6.5 Cap 1 with a big erased out pencil mark asking around $35K.

It was about the time I just bought mine and I was thinking I love my Cap 1 but no one else thinks they are worth much. Times have changed.

I will say not having the red ink is a big detractor so will be interesting to see how it performs now days.

A regular 8.0 went for $288k a year ago in April, so that will be the closest thing to a litmus.

The seller of the 2.5 on Comiclink is sticking to his guns (why not, when you have the only blue label copy for sale on the open market). Maybe he's holding out for $66k- $67k to account for the Clink vig. If so, he's close.

The question is, which is the more desirable copy or gives you more bang for the buck? The 2.5 with nice eye appeal or the much higher graded copy with a printing defect ?

-J.

A regular 8.0 went for $288k a year ago in April, so that will be the closest thing to a litmus.

The seller of the 2.5 on Comiclink is sticking to his guns (why not, when you have the only blue label copy for sale on the open market). Maybe he's holding out for $66k- $67k to account for the Clink vig. If so, he's close.

The question is, which is the more desirable copy or gives you more bang for the buck? The 2.5 with nice eye appeal or the much higher graded copy with a printing defect ?

-J.

no question, I'd take the 2.5 with better eye appeal. It's more affordable and will have a more sizable market to sell to being low grade. Colors on a cap 1 are always hard to get nice and bright.

-J.

no question, I'd take the 2.5 with better eye appeal. It's more affordable and will have a more sizable market to sell to being low grade. Colors on a cap 1 are always hard to get nice and bright.

As cool as it would be to own such a high grade copy, at the end I'm inclined to agree with you.

-J.

-J.

As cool as it would be to own such a hign grade copy, at the end I'm inclined to agree with you.

-J.

Tough call. I'd have to see how badly the lack of red ink detracts from the cover of the 8.0.

-J.

As cool as it would be to own such a hign grade copy, at the end I'm inclined to agree with you.

-J.

Tough call. I'd have to see how badly the lack of red ink detracts from the cover of the 8.0.

I don't want any slightly faded reds on a Cap 1. When I bought my 3.0 the colors were the brightest I've seen on a low grade copy.

-J.

-J.

its bad...it sat unsold for years at 50K...never even got a serious offer that I recall (back when 8.0's were 75K+)

-J.

:idea:

How about if we call it a variant quasi-sketch cover then? hm

Would that help with the marketability of this unique one and only one of a kind book in the entire universe? lol

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Will you marry both copies together?

4 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Will you marry both copies together?

My guess is no. It is refreshing to see the cover and corresponding splash side by side. Congrats Mike--that was a near impossible feat. 

Edited by Primetime

Thx guys!  I'm tempted to marry, but I do like seeing the interior.  

Other than perhaps for insurance purposes or if I ever sell, I'm not sure there's much of a reason to submit for a qualified grade.  

I am curious what grade it would get.  4.0 Qualified seems like the highest possible, but I'm not sure it would get that high.  

What do you guys think?

35 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Thx guys!  I'm tempted to marry, but I do like seeing the interior.  

Other than perhaps for insurance purposes or if I ever sell, I'm not sure there's much of a reason to submit for a qualified grade.  

I am curious what grade it would get.  4.0 Qualified seems like the highest possible, but I'm not sure it would get that high.  

What do you guys think?

Hard to say - do you think the cover would be able to attach (in your cover photo it looks like the paper is gone at the top staple, and we can't see the bottom staple) or would it be loose?