• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,543 posts in this topic

I don't think it would be out of line to call that Cap #1 CGC 9.4 one of the most amazing comic books in existence.

It's the second highest graded copy on the CGC census.

Amazing! :o

Is there any story behind it? Any background regarding how much the book means to you?

+ 1

And the value....my guess is 600k to 700k...?

I don't think it would be out of line to call that Cap #1 CGC 9.4 one of the most amazing comic books in existence.

Is there any story behind it? Any background regarding how much the book means to you?

+ 1

Has the value of the 9.8 been discussed? Is that a $2mil book?

+ 1

$1.5MM according to CPG, but I can imagine that it would take off. Not to the level of the Nicolas Cage Action Comics #1, but I think it would break Guide.

+ 1

$1.5MM according to CPG, but I can imagine that it would take off. Not to the level of the Nicolas Cage Action Comics #1, but I think it would break Guide.

Throw Guide out the window. If it was on the market with a $2M price tag it would likely sell as it would drive potential buyers who would be thinking about it crazy. Chances of a similar copy would be about zero and a 9.8 major early key is really unheard of. Who dares wins.

+ 1

Throw Guide out the window. If it was on the market with a $2M price tag it would likely sell as it would drive potential buyers who would be thinking about it crazy. Chances of a similar copy would be about zero and a 9.8 major early key is really unheard of. Who dares wins.

I bet if someone offered Verzyl $2mil for it he would take it in a heartbeat.

+ 1

Exactly! We're talking about a 9.8 major key. I'd have to believe it would generate as big a frenzy as Action 1 or Tec 27.

I'd love to see that one come up for auction in my lifetime.

+ 1

Exactly! We're talking about a 9.8 major key. I'd have to believe it would generate as big a frenzy as Action 1 or Tec 27.

Well, Verzyl turned down a mil offer on the Mile High All Am 16..9.4...he told me his Cap 1 is going to the grave with him...as mine is likely to for me as well.

Anderson was offered over 2 mil for his Mile High Action 1 ungraded.. and he turned it down..

The Mile High Cap 1 is restored...

Collectors are hard pressed to sell anything....

One other thing... if the Action #1 9.0 /The Action 1 8.0 and the Tec 27 8.0 could sell at those levels as the second or even third or forth best copies..what does that say for Cap 1

Clearly Cap #1 is the top Timely (marvel) book of all time...

+ 1

Well, Verzyl turned down a mil offer on the Mile High All Am 16..9.4...he told me his Cap 1 is going to the grave with him...as mine is likely to for me as well.

Anderson was offered over 2 mil for his Mile High Action 1 ungraded.. and he turned it down..

One other thing... if the Action #1 9.0 /The Action 1 8.0 and the Tec 27 8.0 could sell at those levels as the second or even third or forth best copies..what does that say for Cap 1

Value wise, it looks that way. I still prefer Marvel #1 a the top Timely of all time, no disrespect to your copy. It's pretty.

+ 1

Value wise, it looks that way. I still prefer Marvel #1 a the top Timely of all time, no disrespect to your copy. It's pretty.

DC print runs were almost double what Timely's were... I can remember when Marvel 1 was the highest sought after book, even over Action 1 and Tec 27.

Cap 1 overshadows Marvel 1 now... as cover appeal, in it's historical significance as the U.S. enters WW 2, and because Cap has become Marvel's first real super hero .....not to mention Simon and Kirby invented him...

+ 1

DC print runs were almost double what Timely's were... I can remember when Marvel 1 was the highest sought after book, even over Action 1 and Tec 27.

Cap 1 overshadows Marvel 1 now... as cover appeal, in it's historical significance as the U.S. enters WW 2, and because Cap has become Marvel's first real super hero .....not to mention Simon and Kirby invented him...

^ This.

Edited by Moetown

IMO, Cap #1 has only begun to scrape the surface of its potential.

It's long been recognized for its "classic cover", and as a very desirable book, but it's really so much more. Unlike any other GA book that I can think of, Cap #1 has a real word connection that makes it undeniably unique. Not only was it Simon and Kirby's first breakthrough creation (akin to FF #1 being Stan Lee's first breakthrough creation), but it was a real world response to the evils of Nazism. Simon and Kirby were both Jewish and Cap #1 was a political, personal statement to show their desire for the U.S. to enter WWII.

Lex Luthor, the Joker, Two-Face -- they're all great villains of fiction. But the real world of the early 1940's was facing a real life threat, a real life evil unlike anything ever seen in modern history. Captain America's origin was tied in, storyline-wise, as a direct response to that real world threat. He was America's answer -- physically, emotionally and symbolically. That real world relevance puts the character on a different level than his contemporaries of the time. Because of this, Captain America can be appreciated by both comic book fans and students of history alike. The voice and vision of the American man was captured in Cap #1.

Beyond that, Cap #1 has ascended to claim the spot as the hobby's most valuable "Marvel" comic book. And as I've stated before, that's very significant to the many collectors who was "Marvel zombies" and don't really care for DC. To them, Action #1 and Tec #27 don't hold the same appeal -- they want the very best of what their universe has to offer. The fact that Marvel has gone on to become the industry's No. 1 company is highly significant. Because we're not talking about Cap #1 as the top book of a cult company -- we're talking about the top book, born from THE top company.

We've seen the T206 Honus Wagner card (a player with little modern day relevance, comparatively speaking) break the $2,000,000 mark. We've seen stamps sell for millions of dollars. When you consider the very direct, very relevant connections Captain America has to modern day forms of entertainment, and the vast room comic books still have to grow in a world record sense -- I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that a CGC 9.8 Cap #1 could be a $2,000,000 book.

Before the $1,000,000 sale of the CGC 8.0 Action #1, the perception of how valuable a comic book could be was vastly different. In a short period of time, that changed tremendously. Due to factors of both nostalgia and modern-relevance, comic books are very unique. And there's a plethora of reasons to think that there's still a lot of room for significant growth.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

It's long been recognized for its "classic cover", and as a very desirable book, but it's really so much more. Unlike any other GA book that I can think of, Cap #1 has a real word connection that makes it undeniably unique. Not only was it Simon and Kirby's first breakthrough creation (akin to FF #1 being Stan Lee's first breakthrough creation), but it was a real world response to the evils of Nazism. Simon and Kirby were both Jewish and Cap #1 was a political, personal statement to show their desire for the U.S. to enter WWII.

Lex Luthor, the Joker, Two-Face -- they're all great villains of fiction. But the real world of the early 1940's was facing a real life threat, a real life evil unlike anything ever seen in modern history. Captain America's origin was tied in, storyline-wise, as a direct response to that real world threat. He was America's answer -- physically, emotionally and symbolically. That real world relevance puts the character on a different level than his contemporaries of the time. Because of this, Captain America can be appreciated by both comic book fans and students of history alike. The voice and vision of the American man was captured in Cap #1.

Beyond that, Cap #1 has ascended to claim the spot as the hobby's most valuable "Marvel" comic book. And as I've stated before, that's very significant to the many collectors who was "Marvel zombies" and don't really care for DC. To them, Action #1 and Tec #27 don't hold the same appeal -- they want the very best of what their universe has to offer. The fact that Marvel has gone on to become the industry's No. 1 company is highly significant. Because we're not talking about Cap #1 as the top book of a cult company -- we're talking about the top book, born from THE top company.

We've seen the T206 Honus Wagner card (a player with little modern day relevance, comparatively speaking) break the $2,000,000 mark. We've seen stamps sell for millions of dollars. When you consider the very direct, very relevant connections Captain America has to modern day forms of entertainment, and the vast room comic books still have to grow in a world record sense -- I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that a CGC 9.8 Cap #1 could be a $2,000,000 book.

Before the $1,000,000 sale of the CGC 8.0 Action #1, the perception of how valuable a comic book could be was vastly different. In a short period of time, that changed tremendously. Due to factors of both nostalgia and modern-relevance, comic books are very unique. And there's a plethora of reasons to think that there's still a lot of room for significant growth.

Cap 1 will not outpace Action 1 or Tec 27 but it could outpace Supe 1. Holding it back is the fact that it's more commonly found than the others. But it's a first appearance as well as a #1, and it's got a real history component, as the man says, which the others do not have. The cover can be appreciated on levels beyond that of any other golden age key.

If the #1 itself is going beyond the reach of many, then maybe consider the books that contained ads for Cap 1 which were on the stands before Cap 1 itself. At least one of those ads features a prelim image of cap before the wings were added to his head. And these books can be found pretty cheap

+ 1

Oh, I understand all of the significance the book represents but for me the 1st Marvel trumps all others. Just my personal opinion.

Cap 1 will not outpace Action 1 or Tec 27 but it could outpace Supe 1. Holding it back is the fact that it's more commonly found than the others. But it's a first appearance as well as a #1, and it's got a real history component, as the man says, which the others do not have. The cover can be appreciated on levels beyond that of any other golden age key.

If the #1 itself is going beyond the reach of many, then maybe consider the books that contained ads for Cap 1 which were on the stands before Cap 1 itself. At least one of those ads features a prelim image of cap before the wings were added to his head. And these books can be found pretty cheap

Scarcity is a factor but in special cases (e.g. AF #15), it doesn't have as much of an impact as you'd think because the demand is so high. It's place as the top book, from the top company puts in rarified air. I wouldn't be shocked to see it move past Superman #1.

Cap 1 will not move past superman 1. While waynetec statements make sense and are valid, folks playing in that end of the pool generally (not all of course) don't care as much about that as they do the "trophy". The rareness factor drives the 6 fig + pricing. That factor alone (rarity) will keep supes above cap 1 price wise

+ 1

I also prefer Marvel 1, but it's a close call. Cap 1 is an amazing book, and sartre's copy is beautiful.

Edited by Larryw7

I've never seen this. Do you have a pic of that ad. What comic is it in?

Cap 1 will not move past superman 1. While waynetec statements make sense and are valid, folks playing in that end of the pool generally (not all of course) don't care as much about that as they do the "trophy". The rareness factor drives the 6 fig + pricing. That factor alone (rarity) will keep supes above cap 1 price wise

Another factor to consider, and it's a big one, is that (and correct me if I'm mistaken) the majority of Superman #1 owners are from an older generation, one that grew up loving Superman. Collectors who are presently in their 20's-30's don't have the same positive exposure to the character as older generations. But that younger generation has also pushed the Marvel Universe into another stratosphere.

In the history of our hobby, most Superman #1 owners have come from generations where Superman was beloved. Things have obviously changed drastically over the past 25 years. Comic collecting is extremely nostalgia-driven, so it's not unreasonable to expect that when the younger generations rise to greater spending power, they may be more inclined to invest great sums of money into characters they love, as opposed to characters like Superman, who unfortunately isn't even remarkably liked by many young collectors.