• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

This stood out for me.....

304 Enormous V2 1 $3.99 215 Ink 5,318

Seems pretty low for the new no 1, although has sold out and going to second print

Good pick up squarchaos.

Sharp eyes there natevegas.

There has been a lot of preparation, progress and talent assembled around the show. In fact, I would go so far as to say-- the less you hear from me the more there is going on.

Whole lot of book progress too. We cracked the 10K sales milestone for #7. It won't show in the Diamond monthly sales report because a good balance of our order are exclusives and don't get counted.

Bumping this post since the 5K numbers are a tad deceiving...

Thank you and I'll wear my " kick me " sign all day tomorrow as punishment. :P

That Zim number is high but then again, maybe not. Its a pretty popular character. We Stand on Guard has been really good so far and I'm not surprised at these big debut issues from Image anymore. The market seems to swallow them up regardless of big numbers to this point.

lol you know youre our hero Au

Im not too sure about how "popular" Zim is, I've never heard of him until Ive seen the crazy prices the variants fetch on feebay.. And theyre selling every day!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Invader+Zim&_sac=1&_sop=13&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Invader+Zim&_sacat=63

When I read a bit about it on wiki It seemed as if the anumated series failed. But it does have a cult following according to wiki, I think thats where the numbers are coming from. Its the "1000 fans" effect if anything..

I really think that this book will sustain its desirability among collectors especailly with such a promising start

Kinda surprised that Archie pulled over 100,000

There were what, 20 different covers for it? At that rate it should have topped 200,000 as that would only be 10,000 per cover.

I guess it goes to show how low Archie sales have been. I talked with one LCS owner that did not order big and said it flopped with his regulars for the simple fact that they did not like the new look. Some of his regular Archie collectors did not buy it as a result.

That Zim number is high but then again, maybe not. Its a pretty popular character. We Stand on Guard has been really good so far and I'm not surprised at these big debut issues from Image anymore. The market seems to swallow them up regardless of big numbers to this point.

Im not too sure about how "popular" Zim is, I've never heard of him until Ive seen the crazy prices the variants fetch on feebay.. And theyre selling every day!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Invader+Zim&_sac=1&_sop=13&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=63&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Invader+Zim&_sacat=63

When I read a bit about it on wiki It seemed as if the anumated series failed. But it does have a cult following according to wiki, I think thats where the numbers are coming from. Its the "1000 fans" effect if anything..

I really think that this book will sustain its desirability among collectors especailly with such a promising start

Rule of 20 remember? That was a show that kids watched back then. Makes sense that some who are now old enough to buy it do.

Rule of 20 remember? That was a show that kids watched back then. Makes sense that some who are now old enough to buy it do.

Perhaps, here are some more credible facts.. Jhonen Vasquez creator of Zim has a huge following, 80k+ followers on fb (I'd say that that figure correlates more or less with the sales figure of 70k+ that diamond reported). The reason why those followers are buying the comic is because the TV show ended and the fans, seeking continuation, can only resort to the comic as there isnt any show currently on tv.

According to wiki:

In February 2015, Oni Press announced that a comic book series based on the show, in collaboration with Jhonen Vasquez and Nickelodeon, was being released as a continuation of the series. Vasquez said about the show: "I'm always confused when people say how much they miss Invader Zim because the show never stopped running in my head, and then I remember everyone else isn't in my head".

Good on Oni Press for figuring this out, they may have actually resurrected Steve Rogers from ice with this one based on the demand this character seems to fetch

Star Wars has increased its monthly sales the past couple of months - I wonder if this is due to the variants or actual increased readership?

I think it is a little of both. Marvel has produced a few more ratio'd variants per issue the last couple of months. Darth Vader sells significantly lower than Star Wars, but it also has less variants every month. I doubt there are 40 - 50,000 more readers of the Star Wars title than the Darth Vader title. The only way we could really know what Marvel's real readership is, is if they stopped producing variants. And that isn't going to happen.

How much variants adds to sales is hard to say. My guess, somewhere between 10 - 50 percent depending on the title. I would imagine this will be on the higher side for the Star Wars titles.

Hip Hop Family Tree #1 6,627

TV Series, tiny print run, good spec pick IMHO

And yes, there is a FCBD issue you should be on the lookout for as well which pre-dates this #1

Agreed. I happened to have missed out on this even though you and Jimmy Linguini gave me plenty of warning. :sorry:

Hip Hop Family Tree #1 6,627

TV Series, tiny print run, good spec pick IMHO

And yes, there is a FCBD issue you should be on the lookout for as well which pre-dates this #1

Agreed. I happened to have missed out on this even though you and Jimmy Linguini gave me plenty of warning. :sorry:

I avoided the FCBD book a few times because I thought it said FREE in handwritten Sharpie letters but it's really printed on the book.

Edited by Awax

September's Top 300 comics and Diamond's total sales were both the 2nd lowest they've been in 12 year years for September sales numbers. I'm not sure why, especially with the new Star Wars book leading the way with over 200,000 copies sold. (shrug)

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2015/2015-09.html

There was a lack of #1s this September and it hurt the market. The past two years DC had their 3D covers that boosted sales, and this year the latest round of Marvel #1s will not hit in full force until the October and November numbers. That being said, I know that the LCSs I talked to were dropping their non-file orders on the new Marvel #1s since the Marvel Now relaunch over the past two years was a dud both on the shelves and as back issues (and I expect the latest round of #1s to do the same).

It will be interesting to see how Marvel's latest relaunch turns out. I skimmed through the ASM vol 4 #1 last week and it was bad from both the story and artwork perspective. The only thing to like about it is the Alex Ross cover. I have not read any of the other titles, but if this what Marvel books are like now I can see why the sales are flagging. After the initial bump from the #1s, I can see the titles dropping off substantially again just like the weaker New 52 and Marvel Now books did.

I am also surprised at how many books from the big 2 are selling in the 30,000 copies or less per month range and are still being released. What is the break even point number of monthly copies on a title?

Edited by kimik

There was a lack of #1s this September and it hurt the market. The past two years DC had their 3D covers that boosted sales, and this year the latest round of Marvel #1s will not hit in full force until the October and November numbers. That being said, I know that the LCSs I talked to were dropping their non-file orders on the new Marvel #1s since the Marvel Now relaunch over the past two years was a dud both on the shelves and as back issues (and I expect the latest round of #1s to do the same).

It will be interesting to see how Marvel's latest relaunch turns out. I skimmed through the ASM vol 4 #1 last week and it was bad from both the story and artwork perspective. The only thing to like about it is the Alex Ross cover. I have not read any of the other titles, but if this what Marvel books are like now I can see why the sales are flagging. After the initial bump from the #1s, I can see the titles dropping off substantially again just like the weaker New 52 and Marvel Now books did.

I am also surprised at how many books from the big 2 are selling in the 30,000 copies or less per month range and are still being released. What is the break even point number of monthly copies on a title?

I've often pondered this and I'd love to know. I guess if a book sells at $2.99 it might be doing alright. That means it is selling $90,000 a month. Then you times that by 12 and you suddenly find it is making $1,080,000 a year. That is a lot of money. I know there are a lot of people involved and other costs, but that is a good chunk of money.

I'd love to see internal numbers on something like that though.