• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

Princess Leia #2 and Kanan #1 are soooooo soooooo much lower than I would've ever possibly guessed.

Those were 2nd prints, but still a low number

I'm feeling slow apparently..... lol.

I promise, I've got a brain here somewhere.....

A couple of quick observations: 13 titles over or in sniffing distance of 100k. I know there are two big events (3 if you want to count Star Wars) but that's a lot of sales (typically only 5-8 break 100k). Also, looks like the lower end is getting hurt; only 175 titles over 10k sales while it's usually 200 titles and (just to pick a random month) September 2013 had 233 titles over 10k. It seems Marvel & DC are siphoning sales from smaller printers.

A couple of quick observations: 13 titles over or in sniffing distance of 100k. I know there are two big events (3 if you want to count Star Wars) but that's a lot of sales (typically only 5-8 break 100k). Also, looks like the lower end is getting hurt; only 175 titles over 10k sales while it's usually 200 titles and (just to pick a random month) September 2013 had 233 titles over 10k. It seems Marvel & DC are siphoning sales from smaller printers.

there's only so much money in the pie.

To some extent, yes. The numbers on the Valiant Handbook are small enough that it probably would have been out of the top 300 in other months. However, every ongoing more than 3 issues in (i.e. after where you would normally expect drops) saw an increase in sales. Looks like the movie news is prompting some people to check out the line. (Not sure what sort of changes other smaller companies are experiencing.)

a1Bv4xs.png

To some extent, yes. The numbers on the Valiant Handbook are small enough that it probably would have been out of the top 300 in other months. However, every ongoing more than 3 issues in (i.e. after where you would normally expect drops) saw an increase in sales. Looks like the movie news is prompting some people to check out the line. (Not sure what sort of changes other smaller companies are experiencing.)

a1Bv4xs.png

Where were you able to find the % increase/decrease chart ? It used to be on ICV2 but I couldn't locate it.

Yeah, I was just painting a very broad brushstroke.

It is interesting too that more people are shelling out higher $ for the big 2 ($4 or more per book vs. 3-3.50 for Image, etc.), so not only are overall unit numbers are up but bigger profits for the Big 2. Of course some of the high unit numbers are results of variants, etc.

Nice to see some of my favorite books (mostly Image) are at least maintaining readership.

Yeah, I was just painting a very broad brushstroke.

It is interesting too that more people are shelling out higher $ for the big 2 ($4 or more per book vs. 3-3.50 for Image, etc.), so not only are overall unit numbers are up but bigger profits for the Big 2. Of course some of the high unit numbers are results of variants, etc.

Nice to see some of my favorite books (mostly Image) are at least maintaining readership.

I think most Image books maintain readership because if you like the story through the first few issues, you'll probably like it later because the creative teams don't usually change. On the other hand, I think that delays really hurt. People do things out of habit and Marvel/DC are well aware of that fact. Image seems a little slow to grasp this imo.

Outcast seems to be on a steady decline while Wytches seems to be holding on to more of their initial readers. I think these runs of Outcast could be sought after once the show comes to fruition. Kirkman is a great storyteller imo and I think when TWD fans hear that he has another show out some might want these...or not. lol

That's old school thinking. You can always make the pie bigger by attracting new customers or enticing existing customers to spend more.

My observations this month:

259. Escape from NY at around 6K (5,873) .. that means that the 1:25 incentives are at 240 copies per... Super low! quick search on feebay shows the variants are selling at high prices..

277. Five Ghosts Special 1 - 5,033 - is that normal for this series??

280. Usagi Yojimbo - 4,975 - WOW! I had no idea this series is still running! This character may not be as popular as he was back in the 80/early 90s but if the title is still running that means theres a die hard cult following for UY/Sakai.. I would say that these later issues are probably good investment books to get just in case anything pans out with the character in the future, as these numbers are waaaay low

That's old school thinking. You can always make the pie bigger by attracting new customers or enticing existing customers to spend more.

True, but the 2nd part of your statement also either assumes flat prices or disregards the "spending more" result that is due to simply increasing cover prices. But I get what you mean. There's just a lot of moving parts that make it not nearly as simple as new customers or enticing existing customers to spend more. There is still only a reasonable amount of expected % of disposable income that people are ever going to spend. It might not be exact & you might be able to get more over-time if you provide a greater entertainment bang for the buck than other competing entertainment forms, but there's still a limit. Even if we're not sure where it is or it changes over time. There kinda IS only so much money in the pie at any given time.

280. Usagi Yojimbo - 4,975 - WOW! I had no idea this series is still running! This character may not be as popular as he was back in the 80/early 90s but if the title is still running that means theres a die hard cult following for UY/Sakai.. I would say that these later issues are probably good investment books to get just in case anything pans out with the character in the future, as these numbers are waaaay low

The series went on hiatus with #144 three years ago so Stan Sakai could work on 47 Ronin. Now that he's done with it, and with the Senso limited series, Usagi Yojimbo has resumed right where it left off. #145 was the first issue since the beginning of 2012.

I can tell you from personal experience as someone trying to complete this run, finding the later issues is like pulling teeth. I've gotten up through #121, but I'm missing about half the issues from #122-144. Needless to say, it's really aggravating, as I'm now buying new issues and just stacking them in the corner until I can somehow get the previous issues and finally catch up with the story.

The series went on hiatus with #144 three years ago so Stan Sakai could work on 47 Ronin. Now that he's done with it, and with the Senso limited series, Usagi Yojimbo has resumed right where it left off. #145 was the first issue since the beginning of 2012.

I can tell you from personal experience as someone trying to complete this run, finding the later issues is like pulling teeth. I've gotten up through #121, but I'm missing about half the issues from #122-144. Needless to say, it's really aggravating, as I'm now buying new issues and just stacking them in the corner until I can somehow get the previous issues and finally catch up with the story.

:sorry:

PM sent

Times are changing as they always do. Of the top 100 titles, 75 are in single digits. That leaves 25 books making it to #10 or more. The Walking Dead is the only book (twice) in the top 100 sellers to have entered into the triple digit numbering. That is a pretty incredible number and a drastic change from years past. I would venture a guess that the issues numbered under #10 will increase as Marvel releases their new series in a month or two.

I am surprised at how well Low is holding up for Image. I thought it was sh i te personally (but completed the first story arc to sell as a set lol ), but it is above 20K in monthly sales. (shrug)

It is interesting to see how badly Marvel's non-Star Wars or super hero titles are faring. Take away the #1 effect and the sales are quite weak afterwards.

We entering the slow season as well that will affect numbers. Conventions, vacations, etc....

Overall it looks to be slightly lower for the year. SW has really helped Marvel overall. DC convergence was a total fail and will reflect it in sales.

Image titles are steady for the most part. Please keep in mind while we have people that champion books here print runs don't lie. Some books at the 5-6k run are not gaining buyers they are losing them.