• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deadpool test footage

1,341 posts in this topic

Toppled The Matrix Reloaded.

I'm surprised at how uptight this board is in regards to kids watching R rated movies. Based on how well this is doing at the box office there must be quite a large number of kids seeing it.

I saw a pre-release screening and public showing. For the screening, more kids than usual that I see for new releases, obviously they asked to see the movie. At the movies, I usually watch in a 21 and up theater but so bunches going to the other Deadpool screens.

This movie was marketed at if not to kids. We are all social media and youtube ignorant compared to them, they live on it.

$135 million for the weekend now.

Dang.

Kudos to Ryan Reynolds for persevering & making this happen.

And they are predicting $150 MM for the three-day weekend now.

I'll check it tonight and see what the actual final weekend lands at. But I can see folks going back more than once. Heck, I was thinking about some of the jokes and wondering if I should go back again.

:whee:

Just got back from seeing it and loved every minute!

What a breath of fresh air that was.

:applause:

With this being such a success, I wonder if FOX would consider adding a quick little Deadpool after credits scene to X-Men Apocalypse?

Wow!!!

yFW8lDd.png

QAigVUn.png

Although these are estimates right now, they seem to be the Domestic and International numbers sites are going with.

:applause:

'Deadpool' Smashes Box Office Records On Way to $260 Million Worldwide Opening

Blowing away even the most lofty of expectations, Deadpool decimated the Valentine's and President's Day weekend box office in record-breaking fashion with an estimated $135 million three-day weekend. As for its incoming competition, How to be Single performed mostly as expected while fifteen years proved too long to wait to release Zoolander 2.

Rewriting the box office record books, Deadpool broke Fifty Shades of Grey's previous February opening weekend record by nearly $45 million based on estimates and that's just the start. The largest opening for an R-rated film was previously $91.7 million, set by The Matrix Reloaded in 2003. That's been destroyed. The largest opening weekend for an R-rated comic book adaptation was previously set by 300 with $70.8 million. Bye, bye.

This is even the largest opening weekend ever for 20th Century Fox, beating a record of $108.4 million previously held by Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Though, to be fair, Revenge of the Sith did open on a Thursday where it brought in $50 million so it's not a complete apples-to-apples comparison, but it does bring us to Deadpool's expected four-day run.

Right now Fox is estimating a $150 million four-day weekend while rival studios go as high as $156 million. In just its first two days Deadpool nearly broke the previous President's Day weekend record of $93 million set by Fifty Shades of Grey, so it already holds the overall record, now it's only a matter of how much will it end up making once Monday's official totals are revealed.

This is also the largest opening for star Ryan Reynolds, a distinction previously held by X-Men Origins: Wolverine at $85 million. More exciting, however, may be the fact this is the largest opening weekend for a first-time director. Deadpool was directed by Tim Miller whose previous credits include a pair of short films along with serving as a visual effects guru for video games including "Mass Effect 2" and "Star Wars: The Old Republic". The previous record holder was Chris Miller, director of Shrek the Third, which opened with $121.6 million back in 2007. As far as live action films are concerned, Robert Stromberg held the previous record with the $69.4 million opening for Maleficent.

I'm surprised at how uptight this board is in regards to kids watching R rated movies. Based on how well this is doing at the box office there must be quite a large number of kids seeing it.

I don't think we're being uptight. My kids saw it. I went to R rated movies when I was a teen but this was not for six and seven year old kids my 2c which is what I was talking about.

Saw a NOON showing yesterday with a pretty packed theater.. we were kind of on the lookout for parents mistakenly bringing young kids to a superhero movie but there was none of that. It was adults, older teens... the crowd you'd expect. And me, the wife, and our high school age son all loved it.

And with regard to what young kids see... the Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies of all time... but that movie, is disturbing. Or at least you can see how the sense of menace and dread could really be frightening to younger viewers.

Deadpool is nudity and language. To be honest, with most kids (especially in regard to language) that ship sailed a lot earlier than it did when we were young. Just different times. And even much of the real raunchy talk was done so fast and part of stream of consciousness dialog that it would go over the head of a lot of kids.

All that being said? I'm sure there are a lot of 10-year old kids out there begging to see this movie... and that's a tough conversation for parents! Glad our kid is in high school!

This movie was all sorts of fun. Really enjoyed it. Not top 5 comic movies good, but easily in the top 10.

The niece did not see it with us. I am glad for that, mostly it might have just been uncomfortable for her. I am sure she would enjoy it, just better if she sees it with some friends. :)

I really can't even decide what I liked most. I guess it just felt like a Deadpool comic brought to the big screen in a mostly authentic way. Costume was spot on. Humor and violence were spot on.

What I liked least, Colossus. Didn't hate him but he didn't feel quite right.

Can't wait to see a sequel. Especially if the end credits are in fact going to happen.

Can't wait to see a sequel. Especially if the end credits are in fact going to happen.

Considering the disaster FF was, largely do to studio interference, and the crazy success of Deadpool for the exact opposite reason... I'd imagine the studio will let them do whatever they want for the sequal, including the name drop from the post credits scene.

Considering the disaster FF was, largely do to studio interference, and the crazy success of Deadpool for the exact opposite reason... I'd imagine the studio will let them do whatever they want for the sequal, including the name drop from the post credits scene.

Actually,

...there will be a lot more studio interference with any follow-ups from now on.

It got it's chance to fly under the radar, but now the studio will want to protect it's brand. Let's see, how can it get a bigger audience... hm

100% chance it gets a PG-13 next time too for a bigger audience (going by FOX's AvP and Live Free or Die Hard logic). (thumbs u

So...to be clear:

In its first four days, Deadpool will make more money domestically than X-Men - First Class did in its entire domestic run.

And on 1/3 the budget.

Somewhat understandable. The previous two X-related movies were terrible and this was kind of a mixed bag looking movie coming in with the new cast, and was pre-Jlaw and Fassbender being big deals

I think that from First Class, all the new goodness springs from, Matt Vaughn did a nice job here and Singer, somewhat surprisingly to me, really followed up.

That sad, not selling Deadpool short, it had that look of being that R rated movie that grabs the money in a year, and it executed.

Deadpool

And on 1/3 the budget.

Seems like the studio did great things by keeping the budget under strict control. Lots of the exteriors (Vancouver's wharf, Chinatown and Georgia viaduct) and interiors (No. 5 Orange strip club) exist so fewer :hi: sets had to be built.

So...to be clear:

In its first four days, Deadpool will make more money domestically than X-Men - First Class did in its entire domestic run.

And on 1/3 the budget.

There are some differences here between the two movies, though both were following up on a mess.

X-Men: First Class was having to rebuild a franchise after the mess of X-Men: Last Stand. So people held back on the newer film. And, you were dealing with a new director on the film (Bryan Singer was involved in the -script; Matthew Vaughn directed).

With the Deadpool fanatics that have been chomping at the bit for this movie over the years, you had a natural audience with no baggage in their way because they were promised no X-Men Origins: Wolverine Deadpool. And they knew from the test footage the promise was solid once they saw that costume.