• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deadpool test footage

1,341 posts in this topic

Saw it yesterday and thought it was good but not great - solid B- grade. I'm not a big fan of the comic book so it suffered from the same stuff that turns me off in the books - over the top jokes that get old quick. I laughed a bunch in the beginning but by the time the blind old lady came into the picture I was secretly wanting to check my cell phone. I've seen Guardians of the Galaxy 3 times and will probably see it again but Deadpool was definitely a once and done kind of flick. I'd put this movie in line with the 2nd Iron Man movie.

I love that Guardians movie, but boy, I think Iron Man 2 is probably the worst of the Marvel Studios films.

Believe me...I loved every minute of the marketing efforts. But I'm looking at this from the prospective of someone with a lot of years in marketing (sports, though, not movies).... and what they did here wouldn't have worked for anything else, you know? They did it 100% right, for Deadpool. But while it wasn't as flashy? The marketing job for Guardians of the Galaxy... which you may or may not have remember or noticed.. was phenomenal. I mean selling that movie was a magic trick.

So yeah, this is one of the best ever. No doubt. What makes it unique is you can tell just how star driven it was. I mean, this is Ryan Reynolds. This isn't the studio. That's what made it fun. I hope the BR has all the marketing shorts

I agree with you that the marketing worked for Deadpool because the character has certain - well - characteristics that play into breaking the fourth wall, and having conversations with the audience even in ads.

But what does work is making the commercials and advertisements an extension of the movie. Helping reveal a little bit about the characters and story without excessively revealing the movie itself. So instead of the X-Men: Days of Future Past commercials for Carl's Jr. where the characters are just eating food, better to have it fit into a mini story.

With the latter although something like this demonstrated the speed of Quicksilver, did it really catch your interest to know more or walk away feeling like you learned a little about the character? That's where Fox can help make this a better fit for their partners while driving more interest in the pending movie.

I do realize those are commercials for marketing partners. But even those could tell a quick story while flowing into pushing the brand of the product.

Saw it yesterday and thought it was good but not great - solid B- grade. I'm not a big fan of the comic book so it suffered from the same stuff that turns me off in the books - over the top jokes that get old quick. I laughed a bunch in the beginning but by the time the blind old lady came into the picture I was secretly wanting to check my cell phone. I've seen Guardians of the Galaxy 3 times and will probably see it again but Deadpool was definitely a once and done kind of flick. I'd put this movie in line with the 2nd Iron Man movie.

I love that Guardians movie, but boy, I think Iron Man 2 is probably the worst of the Marvel Studios films.

Other then Whiplash I thought it was a good movie. Think I had that one in the B- range also.

Saw this yesterday. I was surprised at how good it was...I'd call it the second-best X-Men film behind "First Class." Funny and great, start to finish. :whee:

What I particularly loved is that Colossus was finally handled EXTREMELY well. They got the look, movement, and just everything right about that character for the first time ever. He was huge and bulky and moved like it the entire time way better than they were able to do with Daniel Cudmore in the X-Men films. LOVED the fight between him and Gina Carano's Angel Dust character...that was the best toe-to-toe sheer brute strength fight on film since Hulk vs. Abomination in 2008. Particularly loved the sound effects with Colossus...every time his body was stressed they had this metal creaking sound that was just awesome. (worship)

I have to agree. Colossus in this movie was the best representation, ever!

Colossus playing the clean-cut superhero attempting to talk Wade Wilson out of his misguided ways added to the comedy of the movie. Especially that closing scene once all the fighting was over.

I was waiting for Deadpool to shoot Ajax throughout that speech. You knew it was coming. But when it happened, even funnier when Colossus falls over and starts throwing up.

lol

My only complaint is that they skipped the truly hard part of the character--finding someone good to play him in human form. The odd thing was that if they ever want to use him again like they did in this film, they probably have to change him from the way he was depicted. The guy's face they used isn't big enough to play Peter Rasputin and they made him about 7' 6" in Colossus form, so if they ever want to show him transforming in the future, they either have to make him shorter, show a huge size difference as he changes, or pull a rabbit out of their hats and come up with a 6' 9" to 7' guy who can actually act.

It was odd to see him never in human form given the amount of on-screen time he got. Him crammed into that cab was particularly weird...that's when you'd think he'd definitely want to be in human form if not for comfort's sake then to prevent himself from breaking the cab's seat or floor with his massive weight. :eek:

Colossus playing the clean-cut superhero attempting to talk Wade Wilson out of his misguided ways added to the comedy of the movie. Especially that closing scene once all the fighting was over.

I was waiting for Deadpool to shoot Ajax throughout that speech. You knew it was coming. But when it happened, even funnier when Colossus falls over and starts throwing up.

lol

+1

Here's a giant non-spoiler:

DON"T TAKE YOUR KIDS LESS THAN, AT LEAST, 14 TO THIS MOVIE. I couldn't believe the young kids I saw in this movie. I knew going in it would be a hard R movie and didn't even think about taking any children.

I thought it was lots of sex and full frontal of Ryan Reynolds that got the R rating?
That, full frontal of women as well, the prolific (if not epic) cursing and sexual references, and the extremely graphic violence. Truthfully, the sex and nudity is far less troubling than the violence if I'm thinking of kids.

I loved it. I think it's a great, grown-up, non-superhero movie. It's really funny and has great action sequences. But I don't think you're being prudish if you keep a child from seeing this movie. No more than if you kept kids out of Pulp Fiction or other hard R movies.

Look who also loved Deadpool. But he also has concerns how studio execs will now rush to copy its approach, with very little thought to the final product.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Director Weighs In On DEADPOOL Success And What It Means For Superhero Movies

"The film has a self-deprecating tone that’s riotous. It’s never been done before. It’s poking fun at Marvel. That label takes itself so seriously, can you imagine them making fun of themselves in a movie? They’d rather stab themselves."

That's a quote from Deadline Hollywood, attributing it to a Hollywood "suit." I love Deadline and get a lot of my film business news from them. And I love Deadpool even more - the film is hilariously funny, has lots of heart, and is exactly what we need right now, taking true risks in spectacle film - but COME THE [frick] ON. That's no reason to rewrite history. This quote has to have been said by the dumbest [frick]ing Hollywood exec in the history of dumb [frick]ing Hollywood execs.

Let's ignore Guardians for a moment, a movie that survives from moment to moment building itself up and cutting itself down - God knows I'm biased about that one. But what do you think Favreau and Downey did in Iron Man? What the [frick] was Ant-Man??!

Come on, Deadline.

After every movie smashes records people here in Hollywood love to throw out the definitive reasons why the movie was a hit. I saw it happen with Guardians. It "wasn't afraid to be fun" or it "was colorful and funny" etc etc etc. And next thing I know I hear of a hundred film projects being set up "like Guardians," and I start seeing dozens of trailers exactly like the Guardians trailer with a big pop song and a bunch of quips. Ugh.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Deadpool wasn't that. Deadpool was its own thing. THAT'S what people are reacting to. It's original, it's damn good, it was made with love by the filmmakers, and it wasn't afraid to take risks.

For the theatrical experience to survive, spectacle films need to expand their definition of what they can be. They need to be unique and true voices of the filmmakers behind them. They can't just be copying what came before them.

So, over the next few months, if you pay attention to the trades, you'll see Hollywood misunderstanding the lesson they should be learning with Deadpool. They'll be green lighting films "like Deadpool" - but, by that, they won't mean "good and original" but "a raunchy superhero film" or "it breaks the fourth wall." They'll treat you like you're stupid, which is the one thing Deadpool didn't do.

But hopefully in the midst of all this there will be a studio or two that will take the right lesson from this - like Fox did with Guardians by green-lighting Deadpool - and say - "Boy, maybe we can give them something they don't already have."

And that's who is going to succeed.

My only complaint is that they skipped the truly hard part of the character--finding someone good to play him in human form. The odd thing was that if they ever want to use him again like they did in this film, they probably have to change him from the way he was depicted. The guy's face they used isn't big enough to play Peter Rasputin and they made him about 7' 6" in Colossus form, so if they ever want to show him transforming in the future, they either have to make him shorter, show a huge size difference as he changes, or pull a rabbit out of their hats and come up with a 6' 9" to 7' guy who can actually act.

I don't see this as a huge problem. In the comics, Colossus grows nearly a foot in height when he armors up and he's supposed to be around 6'6" or so in human form, so they got the armored height just right. With technology the way it is, I can't imagine a transformation effect would be terribly hard. I'm not sure he'll be back for part 2, but if he is, he could stay armored the whole time and I wouldn't mind.

Overall, I think he looked great. If I'm nitpicking, I always envisioned Colossus being more shiny. He was basically chrome (too shiny) in X-Men 3 and DOFP. I thought his size and shape was great in Deadpool, but the texture of the armor looked best in X2: X-Men United. Maybe I'm alone it that.