• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Deadpool test footage

1,341 posts in this topic

The estimates for today. Which even if they are off a tiny bit, this movie is still killing it at the box office.

1u8UfHO.png

OvCRj82.png

Release schedule remaining:

Greece: 18 February 2016

Italy: 18 February 2016

South Korea: 18 February 2016

Cyprus: 19 February 2016

Spain: 19 February 2016

Japan: June 2016

Japan could be a massive bump for Deadpool, as it contributed $6,628,830 for Winter Soldier, and $9,504,440 for Guardians of the Galaxy. So a nice way to wrap up the release schedule.

Too bad about China. I wonder how the Deadpool jokes would have gone over.

Anyone get this to work on Facebook?

Deadpool 360 degree marketing gift

Here's their latest offering, a cool 360-degree video with multiple Deadpools in a pub. Pan in any direction to see all of them acting goofy: one is cutting fruit garnishes with a sword, one is scratching his butt and preparing to relieve himself, one is dancing on the bartop, one is shooting pool, one is passed-out drunk, and... you can have fun spotting the rest.

If this Fox Marketing team doesn't win an award or three, there is no justice!

Yes, I got it to work and it was very cool.

Look who also loved Deadpool. But he also has concerns how studio execs will now rush to copy its approach, with very little thought to the final product.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Director Weighs In On DEADPOOL Success And What It Means For Superhero Movies

"The film has a self-deprecating tone that’s riotous. It’s never been done before. It’s poking fun at Marvel. That label takes itself so seriously, can you imagine them making fun of themselves in a movie? They’d rather stab themselves."

That's a quote from Deadline Hollywood, attributing it to a Hollywood "suit." I love Deadline and get a lot of my film business news from them. And I love Deadpool even more - the film is hilariously funny, has lots of heart, and is exactly what we need right now, taking true risks in spectacle film - but COME THE [frick] ON. That's no reason to rewrite history. This quote has to have been said by the dumbest [frick]ing Hollywood exec in the history of dumb [frick]ing Hollywood execs.

Let's ignore Guardians for a moment, a movie that survives from moment to moment building itself up and cutting itself down - God knows I'm biased about that one. But what do you think Favreau and Downey did in Iron Man? What the [frick] was Ant-Man??!

Come on, Deadline.

After every movie smashes records people here in Hollywood love to throw out the definitive reasons why the movie was a hit. I saw it happen with Guardians. It "wasn't afraid to be fun" or it "was colorful and funny" etc etc etc. And next thing I know I hear of a hundred film projects being set up "like Guardians," and I start seeing dozens of trailers exactly like the Guardians trailer with a big pop song and a bunch of quips. Ugh.

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Deadpool wasn't that. Deadpool was its own thing. THAT'S what people are reacting to. It's original, it's damn good, it was made with love by the filmmakers, and it wasn't afraid to take risks.

For the theatrical experience to survive, spectacle films need to expand their definition of what they can be. They need to be unique and true voices of the filmmakers behind them. They can't just be copying what came before them.

So, over the next few months, if you pay attention to the trades, you'll see Hollywood misunderstanding the lesson they should be learning with Deadpool. They'll be green lighting films "like Deadpool" - but, by that, they won't mean "good and original" but "a raunchy superhero film" or "it breaks the fourth wall." They'll treat you like you're stupid, which is the one thing Deadpool didn't do.

But hopefully in the midst of all this there will be a studio or two that will take the right lesson from this - like Fox did with Guardians by green-lighting Deadpool - and say - "Boy, maybe we can give them something they don't already have."

And that's who is going to succeed.

Unfortunately, I think he's 100% right.

I've got a feeling it'll be done with

Harley_Quinn_Vol_2_0.jpg

I'm using Firefox with the latest Flash Player version, and it doesn't seem to work. You can hear the music in the background, and see the video bar moving, but no video.

:ohnoez:

I also liked the way Colossus was portrayed. The accent was a bit over the top, but true to the comic in that sense. I liked it. Colossus was my favorite X-man many decades ago when I read/collected them (He seemed like a grown up boyscout in those comics as well). And I like this better than any of the X-man movie portrayals.

I was also happy to see Gina Carano in a superhero movie. When she was in her prime, she would have made an outstanding Wonder Woman. But as it is, the fight scene with her, Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead was the best part of the movie, IMO. Gina packed on some weight though which was a bit distracting.

My only real negative to the movie was the lack of diversity in the villain super powers.

I really don't feel like they should be as much of a task for a veteran X-man and someone as ultra-powerful as deadpool. And then the lack of Morena Baccarin actually doing anything superpowered what so ever.

-Terry

I don't see this as a huge problem. In the comics, Colossus grows nearly a foot in height when he armors up and he's supposed to be around 6'6" or so in human form, so they got the armored height just right. With technology the way it is, I can't imagine a transformation effect would be terribly hard. I'm not sure he'll be back for part 2, but if he is, he could stay armored the whole time and I wouldn't mind.

Overall, I think he looked great. If I'm nitpicking, I always envisioned Colossus being more shiny. He was basically chrome (too shiny) in X-Men 3 and DOFP. I thought his size and shape was great in Deadpool, but the texture of the armor looked best in X2: X-Men United. Maybe I'm alone it that.

I doubt we'd see him in future Deadpools, but I hope to see him in future X-Mens.

He was definitely very shiny in the comics. I found the dull look in Deadpool to be more realistic. Below is Colossus from X-Men 2. The big thing there is that he didn't change in size at ALL when transforming. Singer had said they didn't do much with Colossus due to the cost of it, and I'm guessing that's also why they avoided having him in human form in Deadpool, hiring an actor and doing the size transition would have been significantly more expensive. Doable, as you point out, but harder.

003xmn_daniel_cudmore_001_by_the_skyward_wolfman-d9g994y.jpg

I also liked the way Colossus was portrayed. The accent was a bit over the top, but true to the comic in that sense. I liked it.

Yea, the accent was a bit much, but somehow I liked it anyway too.

What is 360 video?

360 videos on computer

When watching a 360 video on a computer, the viewing angle is changed by dragging with the mouse. Make sure you're using the latest version of your web browser (ex. Chrome, Firefox). 360 videos on Facebook aren't viewable on Safari or Internet Explorer.

hm

I saw an interview with the Deadpool director where he said that when he saw Colossus in the other X-Men films, he said to himself "THAT'S not Colossus. Colossus is much bigger than that." I agree with him entirely, I was never satisfied with him in any of the X-Men films. That's why I loved him so much in this one. Other than showing him transform to human form, how do you do him any better than they did him in Deadpool? (shrug)

I was particularly shocked at just how extensive his screen time was. I expected something like a cameo to keep effects costs down, but he was in there for a LONG time. And so much cool fighting with Angel Dust. There was a moment where she was banging his head up against a jagged piece of metal, trying to impale him on it, but all she did was dent up the metal she was banging him on. Cool and interesting thing to show to demonstrate how tough his skin is. :headbang:

I was particularly shocked at just how extensive his screen time was. I expected something like a cameo to keep effects costs down, but he was in there for a LONG time. And so much cool fighting with Angel Dust. There was a moment where she was banging his head up against a jagged piece of metal, trying to impale him on it, but all she did was dent up the metal she was banging him on. Cool and interesting thing to show to demonstrate how tough his skin is. :headbang:

Yep, loved that too. I also like seeing her try to perform a few MMA moves...it was nice to see a bruiser using technique to enhance the strength instead of relying on brute force. However, it was also nice to see that a standard armlock wouldn't do well against an opponent who can effortlessly lift your whole body and slam it into the nearest object over and over. As far as fantasy violence with superheroes go, the fight was surprisingly realistic.

And you're right...as large as Daniel Cudmore is (I think he's 6'7"), Colossus in all the other X-Men movies was just too small. If I recall, Colossus didn't grow in size in the Ultimate universe when he armored up. They may have used that as a reason for not making him larger since the movies borrowed elements from the Ultimate universe elsewhere.

And I remember hearing the same thing about the cost. In X2, armored Colossus was on screen for about 3 seconds. When they planned to use him more in the 3rd installment, I read they fitted him with a form-fitting bodysuit to help with the effect instead of going 100% digital. The effect wasn't as good.

The estimates for today. Which even if they are off a tiny bit, this movie is still killing it at the box office.

1u8UfHO.png

OvCRj82.png

Release schedule remaining:

Greece: 18 February 2016

Italy: 18 February 2016

South Korea: 18 February 2016

Cyprus: 19 February 2016

Spain: 19 February 2016

Japan: June 2016

Japan could be a massive bump for Deadpool, as it contributed $6,628,830 for Winter Soldier, and $9,504,440 for Guardians of the Galaxy. So a nice way to wrap up the release schedule.

Too bad about China. I wonder how the Deadpool jokes would have gone over.

Looking at these Ryan Reynolds Deadpool numbers I just realized Deadpool already beat Ryan Reynolds`s Green Lantern numbers.

Amazing how the same actor can be a big success in one movie,but so so in another

hm .

Did You Catch Deadpool's Best Friend Bob In The Deadpool Movie?

Bob of Hydra?!

lol

Anyway, while Hydra is obviously never name-dropped in the film, we do get an appearance by Bob, who's working as a goon for Ajax. The two stop mid-fight and realize they used to be buddies, before Deadpool knocks him out (but doesn't kill him, as far as we see -- because what are friends for?). In the comics, Bob is married to a woman named Allison, but in the movies, it's Gail -- likely a wink and a nod to onetime Deadpool writer Gail Simone.

I was wondering what that scene was about near the end.

Here's a giant non-spoiler:

DON"T TAKE YOUR KIDS LESS THAN, AT LEAST, 14 TO THIS MOVIE. I couldn't believe the young kids I saw in this movie. I knew going in it would be a hard R movie and didn't even think about taking any children.

Our local theater had to post on Facebook many times about what exactly an R rating is. They had signs on all the doors. Apparently parents were still confused and thought it was okay because it was a super hero flick. There were a lot of 7-12 year olds in the showing we were in.

Scott Mendelson (of Forbes) just came out with an article with the following quote:

"Deadpool is an unquestionably massive win for Ryan Reynolds, and I hope he gets an obscene amount of money for _Deadpool Kills the Fantastic Four So Fox Can Keep the Rights for Another Decade_."

:cloud9:

saw it today. very surprising. very fun, some stuff i didn't care for but it was very well done. Reynolds was in his wheelhouse.

Two things that really stood out to me were (I have a one track mind)

1 - Gina Carano looked a little butchy (hefty) didn't she?

2 - Morena Baccarin is stunning

I'm sure Chip will have something to see about #2